We were a ticking time bomb

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You can just look up their results in December/January.

2-1, 2-1, 4-0, 4-1, 4-0, 1-0, 0-0, 3-1, 3-4, 3-1. Eight wins, one draw, one defeat, 26 goals scored, 8 conceded. If that's a struggle, well, I'd take a struggle like that any time.

Also, the idea that "the tough wins" bring you the title is rubbish. Getting a lot of points is how you win the title and you're more likely to get a lot of points if you play well most of the time and trash some teams. If you're forced to grind against absolutely everyone, you won't win a title.
People don’t seem to understand that. Yes, the “tough wins” where you “dig deep” & “win playing badly” do win you titles, but you’re supposed to get about 4-5 of them a season, not every bloody game!

How many comfortable “in control” league wins do we have this season? 1? 2? I can’t even count the 4-1 at Newcastle as it was 1-1 in the 85th minute. If you give the opposition a 1-0 head start in the majority of your games it’s extremely unlikely you will sustain a title challenge.

Nickelodeon

This could be the wake up call we needed. A defeat against Arsenal might’ve been shrugged off as a one-off defeat. Yesterday, though, was a kick in the balls. If the team can win against Arsenal, we can easily put this result behind us. Lose again and we’re in danger of unravelling.

tjb

People being a bit too kneejerky. I believe in the team based partially on what I saw at the end of last season, we have the ability to be dominant consistently with Ole, all we are lacking are players that can consistently maintain they're form. Matic isn't young enough to cover the gaps in midfield every game, Pogba isn't good enough defensively to help us hold the midfield in bigger games, Martial isn't good enough to depend on as a no.9 consistently, Greenwood is too young to depend on like that. These are all the reasons why we haven't been able to replicate that dominance.

The question is, what tactics led us to dominate at the end of last season and why haven't we been able to replicate that this season?

First and foremost we had Matic in midfield for all those league encounters. He was the key to initiating the system. When he played, he helped support the defence in building up, allowing Pogba to push up. By doing this, he allowed our backline have the composure and passing ability to keep hold of possession in deep areas similar to what Liverpool does. Matic's ability to read the game, allowed him to know when to drop back and when to push up. Pogba was then charged with connecting the midfield with the attack. Bruno often dropped deep to support him, and a lot of the times he also had the support of AWB and Shaw. The base of three at the back and the mid wide stance of AWB and Shaw allowed us to have alot of movement in the middle of the park. Bruno and Pogba were often roaming, consistently picking out passes to the forward or the full backs, who would then attack the space. One other feature was that both Greenwood and Rashford operated wider and rarely swapped flanks. Rashford was the one player who wasn't in form during that period. Both he and Greenwood operated slightly deeper than they currently do and were more involved with our build up play. At this time, this is when Rashford start making key passes. We kept possession well, moving the ball quickly, but we could not maintiain the dominance due to how much pressing it required from the front line, which Martial could not consistently provide. We also didn't have the depth to ensure we also had the energy for that. Due to a lack of a preseason, I'm sure that played a role in us moving away from that type of pressing. Furthermore, Matic has gotten a year older, and his inability to recover from his deeper position to support Pogba in protecting the defence when attacked was exposed.

In order to make that system work consistently, we need a solid defensive midfielder that has good positioning and off the ball awareness, has the pace to cover spaces and has the passing ability to move the ball quickly. Pogba's role in this system was reduced from what he currently does. It allowed him to venture into higher positions. His role could easily be replicated by Fred, VDB or himself if he chooses to stay. Bruno is still Bruno. Cavani could replicate the pressing from the front that Martial did during that time, even though his age does mean he may not be able to consistently perform this role, another striker may be necessary. Greenwood should not be relied on to produce consistently. Signing a class winger to rotate with him and rashford would ensure the quality in the flanks that would make us even more productive than we were at the end of that season. In addition to all this, we are significantly better at progressing the ball through the flanks than we were last season. Our combinations there have been really good this season.

I think we have the capacity to dominate teams, our only issue is that some of our key players in the system that has worked aren't reliable enough to make it consistent.

The Irish Connection

the question is, how do we go from being a very good counterattack team to being one who dominates the ball and is clinical in the final 3rd.
we need a good defensive midfielder who can pass too, but I can't think of any.

shaw improves us too by pushing teams back on the left, which telles was woeful at last night.

cyberman

The only PL games we've been comfortable in have been against Everton and Leeds. Our results have been a lot better than our performances which is in no way sustainable. Even if we won the league playing the way we've been playing we're still papering over enormous cracks.
Why isn't is sustainable? We genuinely dominate games after going a goal down.
We arent going to concede early every games, thats not sustainable and isnt a reflection on how we control games imo.
What games did we not deserve to win? Id even say we deserved the wins v Leicester and Liverpool if anything.
Its this retconning after the fact that annoys me, that all of a sudden winning isnt good enough but we have to be conformable doing it.
Even if all that was true, last night was not a reflection if how we normally play anyway

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What makes me laugh about the negative posters on here is that they were the ones saying we'd be 20pts or more behind first again. Now we are just 1 pt and still aren't happy.

The team is out performing their expectations and they still moan.

mu4c_20le

We were definitely performing above expectations. Most thought we'd finish 6th or something when he failed to land Sancho, the Maguire and Greenwood incidents during pre-season, Martial and Rashford in dire form again etc.

Eric's-collar

I really hate the idea that a 38-year-old Phil Jagielka was able to shut down Man Utd at Old Trafford. Sheffield Utd had 8 or 9 players missing, they couldn't even make a full bench! There are certain patterns going on that means we shouldn't just right off last night as a freak result. We conceded first yet again, we conceded from a corner yet again, we looked impotent and disinterested going forward yet again, we weren't able to control the game for any significant period of time yet again, we were relying on a moment of individual brilliance to win us the game yet again. These are seriously concerning issues that have been bubbling under the surface and finally bit us on the arse last night.
Totally agree, Saturday is a must win now

croadyman

I hate being branded as kneejerk when I said we were going to come unstuck and the luck would run out well before we got beat last night because that sort of form is unsustainable for a team challenging for the league

romufc

I hate being branded as kneejerk when I said we were going to come unstuck and the luck would run out well before we got beat last night because that sort of form is unsustainable for a team challenging for the league
To be fair there have been some questionable refereeing decisions too. Maguire v Burnely, Maguire v SU.

croadyman

To be fair there have been some questionable refereeing decisions too. Maguire v Burnely, Maguire v SU.
Questionable I agree but if we actually created more chances and stuck them away then it wouldn't be a crucial factor

romufc

Questionable I agree but if we actually created more chances and stuck them away then it wouldn't be a crucial factor
Agreed, I was just saying that to put perspective on the luck element. We haven't been as lucky as people think.

Pogba striking the ball from outside the box, is what we paid the £90m for, for him to score those goals, its not luck.

saivet

This could be the wake up call we needed. A defeat against Arsenal might’ve been shrugged off as a one-off defeat. Yesterday, though, was a kick in the balls. If the team can win against Arsenal, we can easily put this result behind us. Lose again and we’re in danger of unravelling.
I think this is crucial. Everyone goes through a bit of bad form but I fear we have the capability to fall apart after a bad result.

croadyman

I think this is crucial. Everyone goes through a bit of bad form but I fear we have the capability to fall apart after a bad result.
Yeah the wheels could quite easily come off knowing how easily this team can fold under pressure

lex talionis

We were teed up perfectly for a letdown after having beaten Liverpool in thrilling fashion, but I too am surprised we were feckless against relegation fodder.

There’s plenty of blame to go around but I can’t take my eyes off at how shocking Martial was. Nearly every poster here called for him to be subbed off at HT but Ole kept the faith. Looking ahead, there simply have to be consequences for players who don’t give a shit. If you make a mistake while trying to make something happen, that’s part of life. But sulking and watching your theammates bust their ass, however I effectively, is inexcusable.

Ole needs to put the hammer down on players who down tools. If not, what’s the point of all of this?

croadyman

We were teed up perfectly for a letdown after having beaten Liverpool in thrilling fashion, but I too am surprised we were feckless against relegation fodder.

There’s plenty of blame to go around but I can’t take my eyes off at how shocking Martial was. Nearly every poster here called for him to be subbed off at HT but Ole kept the faith. Looking ahead, there simply have to be consequences for players who don’t give a shit. If you make a mistake while trying to make something happen, that’s part of life. But sulking and watching your theammates bust their ass, however I effectively, is inexcusable.

Ole needs to put the hammer down on players who down tools. If not, what’s the point of all of this?
Totally agree but has he got the stones to put the hammer down on underperforming players for the good of the team

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Why isn't is sustainable? We genuinely dominate games after going a goal down.
We arent going to concede early every games, thats not sustainable and isnt a reflection on how we control games imo.
What games did we not deserve to win? Id even say we deserved the wins v Leicester and Liverpool if anything.
Its this retconning after the fact that annoys me, that all of a sudden winning isnt good enough but we have to be conformable doing it.
Even if all that was true, last night was not a reflection if how we normally play anyway
I don't think we do dominate games other than the 2 I've already mentioned. We may have a 15-20 minute period where we play good football and it all seems to click but we then revert back to being susceptible and give teams the chance to get back at us. This is what's not sustainable.

Just look at the amount of games we've won by the odd goal. Call it what you like. Brilliant managerial tactics or pure blind luck. Unless we're talking about George Graham's Arsenal that's not sustainable.

Look at individual performances. Do you really think we deserve to be sitting 1 point off of the top? Martial and Greenwood have been atrocious. Rashford has been popping up with goals but his overall performances haven't been that good. Bruno the last month has gone way off the boil and surprise surprise, it's been Pogba that's been keep us in the mix the last few weeks. We really aren't winning games as a team but more from individual players. When a teams left back is the most consistent performer and he's not Maldini then I think it says a lot on how a team is performing. How long can that be sustainable?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm quoting xG for that specific game. Not for their whole season. We scored late against them, its easy to think then could had just hold on for 5-10 more minutes and we would have drawn.
Expected goals is not designed to be used over just one game.
It means little in that context.

Dudu

You'd think we were on the brink of relegation based off the post reaction from Sheffield (not just here, across all SM).

Massive overreaction. Yes we were not good and there were some poor individual performances, but we also lost in part due to some dodgy refereeing too. We were never favourites (and I thought most people understood since many have also cautioned that we may not be quite there yet), however we are still very much in the mix imo. Liverpool will drop more points. City will drop more points.

Dominos

What makes me laugh about the negative posters on here is that they were the ones saying we'd be 20pts or more behind first again. Now we are just 1 pt and still aren't happy.

Are they really? And by how much?

If you said before the start of the season that at this point we would be out of the CL at the group stage, out of league cup in the semis and on course for 76 points total in the league you wouldn't exactly be jumping for joy (even though it's obviously not disastrous). 76 points will get you top 4 all day but it's not likely to be title winning form by any stretch. City and Liverpool letting their previous standards slip has been a nice bonus for us to add a bit of excitement to the season, but let's not kid ourselves that we look like an elite team. In terms of improving our points haul from last year, we have Bruno for the full season, Pogba has been fit unlike last year, Rashford/Martial haven't had injuries like last year, and we've added Cavani/VDB/Telles/Henderson. Frankly, a 10 point improvement on last year feels a bit modest.

And that's just looking at things on paper. If you said at the start of the season that we'll have won just 1 league game comfortably (Leeds) at the end of January then I doubt you'd be enthralled at the prospect. Neither would you be thrilled at our defensive record getting significantly worse than last year. You could definitely make the argument that performances have been worse than results (the eye test will show you this but XG confirms it), and objectively the results haven't been anything special either which doesn't say much for the performances.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's unrealistic to expect United to win a title this year.

The squad is still lacking, United have a plan A but not a plan B or C and United lack the players to go breaking down defensive teams.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The absolute over reaction by some on this forum is staggering.

Don’t get me wrong, I was raging last night, about the manner of our defeat, the team we lost to and the humiliation of doing so given the season they are having, the frustration of dropping points compared to city - but you know what? It happens. It’s one game. 3pts.
We’re still 2nd, we can still challenge for the league, and we can still have a good season.
It’s not like it hasn’t happened before. Anyone remember 6-3 against Southampton and the embarrassing debacle of the invisible grey shirts?? We won the league then too.
Take a breath. We go again at the weekend - let’s hope we see a reaction.

dev1l

The absolute over reaction by some on this forum is staggering.

Don’t get me wrong, I was raging last night, about the manner of our defeat, the team we lost to and the humiliation of doing so given the season they are having, the frustration of dropping points compared to city - but you know what? It happens. It’s one game. 3pts.
We’re still 2nd, we can still challenge for the league, and we can still have a good season.
It’s not like it hasn’t happened before. Anyone remember 6-3 against Southampton and the embarrassing debacle of the invisible grey shirts?? We won the league then too.
Take a breath. We go again at the weekend - let’s hope we see a reaction.
Don't worry..tantrums are quite normal over here. Some children find the teenage years very challenging.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
City are winning more games comfortably than we are though. I mean, the goal difference alone shows it quite clearly. They have eight wins by more than one goal, we have four. And they had their best striker out pretty much all season.
Well of course, their offensive power is also better than ours. On the other hand we seem to be better at winning tight games where they drop points often. They are a far better team than us though and will win the league comfortably, the overexcitement of our fanbase about being in the title race was driven mostly by City having played two games less which put them 7-8 points behind us at some points during season. Once they got those games out of the way and got some easier fixtures in (as recently) it was clear they'd have jumped above us. Liverpool have looked fragile, City have looked mostly uninspiring but solid. We have been punching above our weight.

Champ

Well then what metric can we use to say if a game should been won by some team?
The result maybe?

Just a thought.

Expected goals should not be used on a game by game basis, it's designed to be used over a whole season.

If a team don't take their chances then that's their fault, and doesn't really mean that they should have won the game.
A team who scores more deserve to win the game as that is the aim of the game at the end of the day!

BlueHaze

Even with us winning all these games by the edge I will never buy the argument that yesterday was coming. Those feckers are the worst PL team I've seen ever. Never seen a worse team than this years sheffield. They had 1 win in 19 games come to OT and go away with a win but not just that, the fact that we could barely create anything against them is the most pathetic, not the loss iself.

SAFMUTD

The result maybe?

Just a thought.

Expected goals should not be used on a game by game basis, it's designed to be used over a whole season.

If a team don't take their chances then that's their fault, and doesn't really mean that they should have won the game.
A team who scores more deserve to win the game as that is the aim of the game at the end of the day!
Well obviously the result is the most important one, but when debating if a team should or shouldnt win just looking at the result isnt much of a debate is it?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Even with us winning all these games by the edge I will never buy the argument that yesterday was coming. Those feckers are the worst PL team I've seen ever. Never seen a worse team than this years sheffield. They had 1 win in 19 games come to OT and go away with a win but not just that, the fact that we could barely create anything against them is the most pathetic, not the loss iself.
Dunno, Derby stank the league out not so long ago....

Thiagoal

Yeah- our league position in no way correlated to our performances this season! We’re a side that should be challenging for top four at the moment- not champions elect!

Pagh Wraith

rubbish, all the 'close' wins barring the brighton game were ones which we deserved to win. don't be fooled by the late goals or comeback victories. in a run of games which come thick and fast we will get such games and results considering we are not the finished article. it is good to temper expectations keeping that in mind.
Even if a close win is 'deserved' it remains a close win. Which is why looking at goal difference makes a lot of sense as some have suggested here. At face value there not be a difference between a 3-2 win and a 3-0 win as they both yield you three points. But even if the 3-2 accurately reflects how the game went in terms of domination and chances and is therefore deserved, such a distribution of chances will throw up a lot of draws and even losses because that's the nature of football. This is a lot less likely if you outperform your opponent by two or three goals.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Dunno, Derby stank the league out not so long ago....
That was 13 years ago... Personally I consider that at least a little while ago.
I know a lot of Derby fans, and this is one of my favorite go-to topics. 11 points in a season, only the second team to get only 1 win, first team in over 100 years. That said, ignoring last night's result, Sheffield only had 5 points in half a season, so could be realistic that they would do worse, now they should be safe from that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think it was coming. Thought it would more likely be against Arsenal rather than last night but a lot of our performances lately just haven't been that good, and Ole has been pointlessly sodding about with the areas of the pitch where we were actually performing well.

Even going back to the Sheffield United away game. We won but it wasn't a great performance. It was disjointed, our midfield didn't function properly and we defended really poorly and ended up clinging on...and that was despite them being absolutely awful in that game and trying to play a high line with the slowest defender in the league.

I don't think it's realistic to expect us to play well every week, or not change the team in a season where there's constantly 2 games a week, but the whole "grinding out wins" thing is a myth really. Good teams can grind out wins despite not playing well when they need to. That isn't the same thing as just not playing well game after game.

If you go back over our last 10-12 games you struggle to find one where you can say we played well in. Villa and the Liverpool cup game were arguably good performances, but outside of that it's been slogfests. The last time we played well and won convincingly was against Leeds over a month ago, and then outside of that the only other convincing performance you find in December is for 45 minutes against West Ham.

So yeah, as the OP said, not sustainable.

I think the encouraging thing is that we have enough matchwinners now to win more of these types of games, and we have shown, in spells in games at least, that we can play very well. SO the ingredients are there but we do need to up the ante. The amount of times Ole's post match press conference has been along the lines of "we woke up when they scored" is a pretty good indicator of the problem. It's almost like we are trying to win games without extending ourselves, instead of winning them first and then taking our foot off the pedal.

Champ

Well obviously the result is the most important one, but when debating if a team should or shouldnt win just looking at the result isnt much of a debate is it?
True, but nor is saying expected goals was a lot more than they scored so they should have won!!

croadyman

You'd think we were on the brink of relegation based off the post reaction from Sheffield (not just here, across all SM).

Massive overreaction. Yes we were not good and there were some poor individual performances, but we also lost in part due to some dodgy refereeing too. We were never favourites (and I thought most people understood since many have also cautioned that we may not be quite there yet), however we are still very much in the mix imo. Liverpool will drop more points. City will drop more points.
Haha who are City dropping points to then do please enlighten me on that one, don't say Spurs after that shocking performance from them tonight and the scousers could easily get shut out by City's rock solid defence too

lex talionis

Totally agree but has he got the stones to put the hammer down on underperforming players for the good of the team
I have my doubts about that, but Ole did bench Pogba for a while. Still, the book on Ole is that he’s pretty stubborn. My guess is that he’ll stick with Martial, despite all the knowable evidence that Cavani is the superior striker.

hobbers

Not massively, considering how the season has gone for the other top clubs.

We're 9 points better off than we were at this stage last season. That's good in that it's broadly in line with the sort of improvement that was demanded, so far. But a couple more days like yesterday and suddenly that improvement will have vanished.

Dominos

We have been punching above our weight.
We're on course for 76 points in the league and couldn't get out the CL group stage. If that is us significantly overperforming then God help us.

Even if a close win is 'deserved' it remains a close win. Which is why looking at goal difference makes a lot of sense as some have suggested here. At face value there not be a difference between a 3-2 win and a 3-0 win as they both yield you three points. But even if the 3-2 accurately reflects how the game went in terms of domination and chances and is therefore deserved, such a distribution of chances will throw up a lot of draws and even losses because that's the nature of football. This is a lot less likely if you outperform your opponent by two or three goals.
It absolutely amazes me that people think there is no correlation between performances and results. We've won 1 league game convincingly all season (Leeds), the results were not sustainable.