We will never win the league with Bruno Fernandes in the team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelyman

Our captain should be Casemiro or Varane. Bruno is not there yet, and he is not emotionally stable. Pathetic performance from the captain when the team needed him the most.
I would be inclined to agree with this if I hadn't just witnessed Casemiro have an absolute stinker last night. Even the first half where we weren't that bad, he was woeful and kept giving the ball away needlessly which admittedly is out of character for how he has been all season, but still.

Similarly the usually dependable Varane hardly covered himself in glory and was culpable for us conceding. Maybe the real issue is that we don't really have a Captain yet. Certainly not a Keane or a Rio that can get a grip of the team and stop them being overrun like we were 2nd half yesterday.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I would be inclined to agree with this if I hadn't just witnessed Casemiro have an absolute stinker last night. Even the first half where we weren't that bad, he was woeful and kept giving the ball away needlessly which admittedly is out of character for how he has been all season, but still.

Similarly the usually dependable Varane hardly covered himself in glory and was culpable for us conceding. Maybe the real issue is that we don't really have a Captain yet. Certainly not a Keane or a Rio that can get a grip of the team and stop them being overrun like we were 2nd half yesterday.
You're missing the point. Every player can play badly but the captain should be able to galvanize and motivate his teammates. Varane and Casemiro didn't play well but they didn't completely shit the bed like Bruno and Shaw did. Apart from their personality, they also have the credibility of having won everything so others are more likely to listen.

Water Melon

Agreed on a whole. Neither Rafa nor Casa covered themselves in glory, both played really badly, however, the captain managed to feck up not only his physical play but also totally collapsed mentally.

Oscar Bonavena

He's not good enough. Not for where United want to get back to. Gives the ball away so, so much and without the consistent end product to justify that level of wastefulness.

And that's before we get into his constant playacting which is embarrassing.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is an essential part of this team. He scores goals, assists, creates chances and his work rate is great.
This thread is weird. Just because he has bad game then and there, he is the problem? Rubbish

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We won't win the league with Dalot/AWB and Antony either. It's not just Bruno.

Stacks

I really do hope we sell him in the summer. If he was playing against us in another team, I wouldn't be worried about him a bit. Which says a lot.
You wouldn't be worried about him?

Bruno Fernandes has 7 assists after 26 match days in the season 2022/2023. With these statistics he ranks number 3 in the Premier League. He also has a total of 41 chances created. With these statistics he ranks number 2 in the Premier League.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is not Bruno at all. Guy creates chances every game and is in the chance himself often.
I don't know what is that big issue about him? Losing the ball too much? Maybe he does but because of his risky play, he creates a lot of clear chances.

But, he does need to play on no10 position. I don't like seeing him on the wings. That is a waste.

Stacks

He is a essential part of this team. He scores goals, assists, creates chances and his work rate is great.
This thread is weird. Just because he has bad game then and there, he is the problem? Rubbish
Yeah. it had been quiet for weeks until now. think its just the emotion of losing to Pool. Think we just lost 7-0 and he plays in defence

ErikElevenHag

Same Rio who got a grip when we got hammered 6-1 at the Etihad?

Or perhaps the same Roy Keane who got himself sent off when Southampton slapped 6 past us?

It's a freak result, it's embarrassing and will sting for a bit, but at the end of the season we will finish above them and have more silverware for the year. Posts like yours are so knee jerk and laughable.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Bruno Fernandes has 7 assists after 26 match days in the season 2022/2023. With these statistics he ranks number 3 in the Premier League. He also has a total of 41 chances created. With these statistics he ranks number 2 in the Premier League.
This should end this thread. But it will not.....

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
But he actually isn't filling that void. He plays behind the main striker in these big games which is weird - you'd think we could just put Bruno there...
I think he directly is. Wout was playing as a CF his first few games only to display he isn't like that, he cannot score goals nor put himself in situations to get chances. ETH still wanted to play because of his pressing so he found a compromise to play him behind the striker and as result started to shift Bruno right and left.
If Weghorst was scoring goals, he'd play at 9 without a doubt.

Stacks

It is not Bruno at all. Guy creates chances every game and is in the chance himself often.
I don't know what is that big issue about him? Losing the ball too much? Maybe he does but because of his risky play, he creates a lot of clear chances.

But, he does need to play on no10 position. I don't like seeing him on the wings. That is a waste.
Bruno has a pass completion of 77.1 compared to KDB 78.8. KDB has more unsuccessful touches and dispossessed more than Bruno also. Casemiro pass accuracy is 78%. Darwin Nunez is 66.8%.

Stacks

I think he’s had good big games, but they are usually in leading a backs to the wall resistance with huge workrate, defensive effort etc rather than imposing quality over top players for 90 mins. I don’t think he jas that in him. But he was very good against Liverpool at Old Trafford for example. Just not in the same way Salah was good against us.

He was very good in the Nou Camp too I think.
when we beat Liverpool in the cup he was pretty good. Rashford is truthfully our only big game player consistently

Stacks

Eriksen with 25 chances created STILL has more assists than Bruno despite missing the last six weeks. Sometimes less is more. Perhaps Bruno consistently being near the top of these charts every season, despite being absolutely terrible last season for example, isn’t the solution and given the lack of success is perhaps is part of the problem.

Like when Ruud left and we suddenly started winning things because we didn’t have one player hogging the attacking third. More players suddenly had an increase in productivity and the team improved massively
Maybe we need a proper striker like Ruud?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

No I wouldn’t . I’m not going to go in to this stats thins again either, like what chances created means. Why not include how many times he gives the ball away as a stat too. I honestly wouldn’t be worried, he isn’t that difficult to mark either.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think if you look at the likes of Rooney and Giggs who people used to moan about being wasteful then Fernandes could fit into that bracket. He’s constantly trying things and sometimes it comes off to great effect, and he has displayed great numbers in the past.

But he just lacks a basic close control and technical ability for me to the point where he’s beyond wasteful at times and more borderline criminal. We need someone who has the G/A he can provide but is actually a technically quality player. He’s miles off the level of old United players you could compare him with, like Giggs or Rooney as I mentioned.
Yep - the technical ability between him and those two you mention is true, and I think it's because of that you see Fernandes' tactical inflexibility. Fernandes is a no.10/second striker, and nothing else. He hasn't the pace or the dribbling ability to play out wide, he's not strong enough to play a false 9, and his short passing is so erratic he cannot play as a CM.

Giggs was a winger for about 85% of his career here (an actual winger) so his wastefulness was easier to deal with. Rooney could actually play across multiple positions (until he turned about 30) - striker, second striker, out wide - to a good enough standard. Fernandes anywhere other than the no.10 role is a horrid sight.

DWelbz19

Sure, but we've been linked to a replacement RB since ten Hag has joined and Antony is in constant competition for his position. Fernandes is quite obviously highlighted because he is now de facto club captain and seems to play every game irrespective of form and quality.

Zed 101

I think the issue with Bruno is that he and everybody else wants him to be something he is not, which is world class and consistent.

He offers a great deal in terms of cutting edge and creativity but it is far too infrequent, much like Antony the end product is more than often high, wide and handsome, 1 time in 20 something good happens.

He and Antony need to improve their decision making, when they play together it is like having 2 x Nani in the team, and neither can operate down the left

I think the difference is clear, Eriksen is what Bruno could be like, if he was more measured, I like Bruno a lot but he is very frustrating to watch at times

Last edited:

DWelbz19

The irony is that the league winners will improve by having him.
Who improves with Fernandes? As a squad player, sure. As a starter?

Arsenal? Have Odegaard who plays his position with far more assurance and dictating tempo - exactly what Arsenal who are possession dominators and tend to suffocate the teams weaker than them need. Fernandes would run contrary to that with his inclination to play counter-attack transition football. Odegaard also has more goals and assists than Fernandes this season -- the one thing that tends to swing massively in the Portugeezer's favour.

Man City? De Bruyne offers everything Fernandes does from a creative standpoint at slightly higher metrics with stronger ability at driving the ball.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
It doesn’t help that the bloke has looked knackered for ages and never seems to be rested. It’s been that way his entire time here and I do get why because of what he offers, but anyone player will suffer eventually from playing so much.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
That doesn't disprove the idea that we aren't going to win title with Bruno though. It only shows that we are further from it then we'd like to believe.
I don’t think so, because we aren’t far off points wise while carrying some real duds. Bruno would be absolutely fine with a quality right back, CM and CF in this side.

jm99

I think the issue is that he's only really worthwhile playing in the number 10 role, out wide he's somewhat ineffective, and tbh most teams in the modern game seem to have abandoned using a number 10, finding it unnecessary.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think if/when we get a controlling midfielder, we will have the option of pushing Eriksen up to the 10 position, who, although not as dynamic as Bruno, probably uses the ball better in vital moments. Think it will give us two great options.

90 + 5min

Nonsens thread.

A player that is important for our attacking. Engine. He do have his faults but his workrate have been brilliant until yesterday and his passion and will to win is great to see. Media and some other so called experts are taking ABUism to different level going after him. We know why.

lex talionis

You mean we need other players to do his job? You think he is trusted in that position in big games?
I definitely trust Bruno in big games. What I don't trust is Bruno playing 90 minutes twice a week for months and month without a proper break.

Most of will overreact to the abomination we witnessed yesterday, myself included, but if we're going to have a discussion about Bruno being suitable for United, we need to have an honest conversation about how often we play him. It's just too often. He is to be commended for being resistant to injury -- in contrast to the man who wears the 9 shirt for United -- but because the dropoff from Bruno to whoever would slot into his role if Bruno were to sit out a match is massive, Bruno plays every match and gets worn down.

What happened yesterday was entirely the result of both physical and mental fatigue, the latter being just as real as the former.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
[
I definitely trust Bruno in big games. What I don't trust is Bruno playing 90 minutes twice a week for months and month without a proper break.

Most of will overreact to the abomination we witnessed yesterday, myself included, but if we're going to have a discussion about Bruno being suitable for United, we need to have an honest conversation about how often we play him. It's just too often. He is to be commended for being resistant to injury -- in contrast to the man who wears the 9 shirt for United -- but because the dropoff from Bruno to whoever would slot into his role if Bruno were to sit out a match is massive, Bruno plays every match and gets worn down.

What happened yesterday was entirely the result of both physical and mental fatigue, the latter being just as real as the former.
I understand your point about drop off considering VDB is supposed to be his direct competition.
Unlike most you go through the whole forum and you wont see a single post of mine calling him out for that game. I don’t believe ETH trust him in that central position in big away games recently. If that’s the case I am in agreement with him.
We all in denial but Liverpool were better than us and by a mile. Barring Bruno, Rashford, WW and DDG all the other players are well rested. Klopp just beat us tactically.

Lee565

I really don't like his petulant sulky behaviour on the pitch, we didn't see that under fergie outside ronaldo and for all the time he has been at united I don't remember him ever really controlling a game like other classic number 10's have like rakitic, riquelme, silva. Bruno reminds me of sigurdsson or Rooney when he played in the number 10 position.

He has a place in the team but would be better if we're to bring in two high quality proper midfielders in the summer and move forward where eth is a bit more selective with which games to start Fernandes in but doubt he would be satisfied with that.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Nonsens thread.

A player that is important for our attacking. Engine. He do have his faults but his workrate have been brilliant until yesterday and his passion and will to win is great to see. Media and some other so called experts are taking ABUism to different level going after him. We know why.
:lol:

Pathetic post. You go on about how he's an important part of our attacking engine but the only thing you can talk about is his work rate.

Face it, he doesn't have the quality to start for us if we want to win the league. Of course, you can wait for history to prove me right but I somewhat doubt you'd come back and admit you've been wrong, just how you were wrong on the bottler from Norway.

Resch

He creates chances, but not only for us, also for our opponents. His passing is too sloppy more often than not. He is careless with the ball in the build up. His positioning is just not good, too often he is trapped or simply hides in the shadow. He is still a great footballer, but he should not too much responsibility. Use him as a 2 nd striker, a Nr. 10 in a 442 diamond, but keep him away from bring up the ball or defending.

Fts 74

Gotta say although his performance yesterday was shocking the attacks in the media are beyond shameful according to Sutton the worst performance in PL history all started by Nevilles rants during and after the match.

He winds me up sometimes with his antics but don't tell me he hasn't been good for us since he came.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Never say never, Bruno is Bruno and I think this is the normal Bruno that we will see. He was fantastic in his first year but his goals and assist rate has drop. Nowadays, he can't score with his half chance. I think it is hard to change his characteristics and personality. A bit like Ronaldo, he always complaint when things doesn't goes his way. Give ETH more time, I think either Bruno will change or he will be shipped out like Ronaldo. I also think our scout should include players behaviour during scouting. Do they run back to win the ball or they stood still while complaining? We need a group of warriors, not a group of prima-dona in the squad. I never seen Salah complain when Martinez or Shaw trip him, he gets on with it. We need players like that.

90 + 5min

:lol:

Pathetic post. You go on about how he's an important part of our attacking engine but the only thing you can talk about is his work rate.

Face it, he doesn't have the quality to start for us if we want to win the league. Of course, you can wait for history to prove me right but I somewhat doubt you'd come back and admit you've been wrong, just how you were wrong on the bottler from Norway.
He does have quality and has proven over and over again. His importance for the team is underrated. I took workate as a example but we can write lot of other qualities. His defensive work, his passing, movement, attacking awerness, stamina, determination and lot more. Engine of our team when he plays through the middle. Haters will always find something or someone to hate. Nothing strange. In 2-3 weeks people will change to some other player.

With "bottler" from Norway you mean Solskjaer? Great coach being thrown under the bus by some players that are thankfully not in the club anymore. We see already some people turning on tenHag because of one lost game. That is how our fanbase works. Find someone to criticize. Not that this is thread to discuss him.

Edwards6

People are going overboard with the criticism of Bruno but I think for certain big away games we should play 433 with either Bruno on the right or benched to control the midfield more

mav_9me

I dont care abt Bruno captain material or not, as outsiders I dont think we have enough information abt how he is in the dressing room, training ground etc to judge.

I actually like Bruno a lot.

But there is a discussion to be had about if he can/will continue with us. Let me explain. I think the way we win the league is by becoming a possession/pressing/controlling team like this arsenal or City. However Bruno does not fit in this style, he does not involve much in the build up from the back phase (unlike KDB or Odegaard), he does not involve in general midfield play as much.

If ETH decides to continue with this transition based style, just with better players, he will continue to be a key part. But if ETH chooses to change our approach (which I suspect he wants to, to a more possession and control while retaining elements of quick vertical passing) can he fit this Bruno? Remains to be seen.

noelyman

Same Rio who got a grip when we got hammered 6-1 at the Etihad?

Or perhaps the same Roy Keane who got himself sent off when Southampton slapped 6 past us?

It's a freak result, it's embarrassing and will sting for a bit, but at the end of the season we will finish above them and have more silverware for the year. Posts like yours are so knee jerk and laughable.
Firstly i'm a HUGE fan of Casemiro. But in a thread where United fans are going in two footed on Bruno cos he had a stinker. I merely pointed out that most united players had a stinker and should shoulder the blame including the two players suggested (Casemiro and Varane) as being better wearers of the armband.

And you reply with a couple of outlier examples of Keane getting sent off (surely Casemiro was also sent off just weeks ago so what's the point?) and Rio being on the same pitch during a hammering proves what exactly? And it's my post that's knee jerk and laughable? :lol: I actually wished someone had been sent off. At least it would have showed a bit of a fight and at the very least given us an excuse for the hiding we got.

I also have no idea why you felt it necessary to point out we will finish above them and have more silverware. We are in agreement on this. I never claimed otherwise. I merely mentioned it seemed a strange time to be championing their cause. They were also culpable for the mess of yesterdays second half. Casemiro, has been great this season and might well end up as Captain material. Though I think currently his lack of English probably hampers his chances, whereas Varane seems a bit quiet and reserved for the captainship. But you don't need the armband to galvanize and show leadership and there was pretty evidence of any of that from anyone second half yesterday was the only point I was making.

But you know what is most knee jerk and laughable? It's all the shocking abuse that Bruno has received from not only the ABU media (Neville, Sutton) but also United fans, He's been singled out in the most horrible way from all corners. I've seen calls for him to receive huge lengthy ban for a petulant minor push of a linesman that pushed him first. It's mental.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.