We will never win the league with Paul Pogba in the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
We just need to play three in the middle and have him on the left.

The other two can do the grafting for when he loses the ball trying something and just let him play his own game.

Strangling him in a 2 means teams target him and crowd him out and then we've barely got cover at the back, especially during big games when good teams will genuinely hurt us like tonight.

Just doesn't make sense that we'd pay £89m for a player and not make the team around him in his favoured position.

Canagel

What a ridiculous thread. Pogba has already achieved so much at a young age and he hasn't even reached his prime yet. To suggest we can't win the league with him is madness. The prime for midfielders is 27-31. This guy has already played CL finals, won 4 Serie A titles, Voted in FifPro best XI alongside Modric and Iniesta, Voted best young player at the 2014 World Cup, golden boy all before the age of 23. Tell me 1 midfielder who has achieved what he has in the game at his age. We hadn't lost in 35 or 36 league games with Pogba in the team before tonight. That's a few games short of an entire season. His influence is clear on this team and 1 poor game doesn't change that.

Footyislife

We won't win the premier league playing Pogba in a double pivot against the top 6 or against the top half of the table away. Especially if that pairing is with dinosaur Matic.

Most atrocious misuse of a star player I've ever seen in my life. Mourinho does 90% of his coaching job at the high level. Sucks that the 10% he gets wrong is not utilizing our best player in his best role. With the exception of KDB, Pogba would walk into any team to play the free role as the left of the attacking 3. Idiotic that Mourinho doesn't, so he can get Lingard on the pitch. Don't care how many goals Lingard has scored, your eyes tell you he's not that good of a player, an average player on good form. Going to cost him his job, and give us a trophy drought (the ones that matter CL, EPL). Hope he's reading this and stops this madness.

ash_86

We all know he works in a midfield of three. We would need a good playmaker to play that formation and we can't do it with our current set of Midfielders.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's tactics, that's it. Put Iniesta in this set up and you'd be making the same thread about him, clueless.

Put Pogba in a midfield three and give him license to do whatever the feck he wants. There isn't another player in world football that possesses a combination of his physical, technical and mental capabilities. As him to play in a midfield 2 with a woefully out of form Matic and he's doomed to struggle. Herrera should have started in place of Lingard tonight, for no other reason than his tenacity and willingness to do the dirty work would have freed up Pogba to impose himself on the game.

It's B Rubble

While watching the game, I threw my phone against the wall (very angry with today's performance), shattered the screen, and had to pay $100 to get it fixed. Somehow, this thread is worse.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He has 9 assists in 14 games and he's not being properly utilised and nowhere near his full potential.

We will win many things with Pogba in the team. I can guarantee you that. Whether it's going to be with Jose - I don't know - as he doesn't seem understand that Pogba just needs to do his own thing in midfield and not be restricted by uber disciplinarian defensive duties.

Vernon Philander

Working really hard =\= being good in CM.

Otherwise Scott Parker would have won the Balon d'Or.

He's just not brilliant at reading the defensive side of the game like a Carrick. He is, however, brilliant at driving forward, creating from all over, and being able to tick over possession.

Absolute nonsense to think there isn't a system that can get the best out of that skillset and win the league.

(OP, if this was all a troll, then kudos to you Sir)

Morpheus 7

No one wants to say it because he has ability and cost a shite load of money, but it's more true than the thread saying the same about Lukaku.

Pogba is a playground footballer. Turns up to show off in games where the opposition are poor enough to allow us the luxury of him doing so. As soon as the team need him however, you can forget it.

He is more interested in inventing silly handshake routines, showing off, and wanting people to look at his hair, than he ever will be in working hard to help his team win a game.

He has the selfishness of a Gerrard or a Ronaldo but without any of the desire, determination, or basic maturity to go with it, and he's 24 years old. It is unlikely at this point he will ever grow up, and that means he will never be more than a liability in any game where it is important for him to put in work for the benefit of the team.

The idea some people have of playing him further forward because he doesn't work hard enough to play in central midfield is a nonsense...as if playing him in another position somehow makes it less important that he works hard. In a succesful team, every player works harder than Paul Pogba ever does.

The fact is that he is on a pedestal as United's best player, but when you look at City (i.e. the team top of the league), if Paul Pogba played for them in the same way he does for United, he would be told to either grow up or feck off. He wouldn't get close to getting a game for them unless he had a serious change of attitude. At United he seems to go completely unchecked for it because he can showboat around onceor twice every ten games, against the likes of Stoke.
This will come back to haunt you, absolutely shocking. I've read some sht reactionary threads but this is something else. Pogba had a poor game tonight, like every other player in our team. Pogba has been our best player this season, has been injured for a large section and still had great assist stats. He had the best in Europe up on to recently. When we don't play, Pogba doesn't. We are very reliant on him and overall he's be very good for us. He doesn't work in a two and we need a three man midfield, that's clear. That's when he's been most effective at Juve and us. As far as the hand shakes and hair stuff, it's irrelevant. I'd rather have a player that bond's with his team mates, rather than one that has destructive traits I.e drinking, partying before games, smoking or missing training. Pogba doesn't do these things, he seems to get on with the squad. It's best to point your frustration somewhere else, Pogba will lead us to great things because he's a quality player. A quality player that in three years could easily be the best in world footballer. He can do everything, things need to be ironed out in his game but technically he's on another level. You need to watch the game more and get a little more perspective, posting nonsense like this after a defeat benefits nobody.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
More worried about Pogba under Jose than I am Pogba full stop. Can see where you're coming from though Noods.. it's not a certainty by any means that he will lead us to success. He's been piss poor in big matches.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
When you've seen world class like Keane & Scholes you're spoilt.

Then you compare it to what Pogba gives. . . and it's next to nothing as Pogba wouldn't be good enough to lace their boots.

There was a reason why Fergie sold him in the first place.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I rate Pogba but the OP has valid points. It's these reactions that are symptomatic of the attitude that has crept in at the club. This is why people think we have top quality players but are left wondering why we are coming up short. Unless players like Pogba, Rashford, Martial etc actually apply their god given ability then they are nothing and we achieve nothing.

We're a lot like Arsenal fans these days, if you're a big name or a fancy player then you're safe from criticism and you don't need to improve your game. We must have about 6 or 7 players that apparently need the team building around them, no argument can be made that maybe the players need to pull their shite out.

BaneIsPain

I have read a lot of throwing tantrum in caf but this takes the cake

JohnnyKills

You can slaughter the OP all you want, but it's still essentially a valid point. How many big games has Pogba starred in for us? Arsenal away and....?

The argument that he won league titles with Juventus is a bit hollow, as he was playing in the league's dominant team. He'd probably look good in City's team now.

I completely agree we need to play three in midfield from now on. Hopefully he starts to realise his potential in that system.

Grande

No one wants to say it because he has ability and cost a shite load of money, but it's more true than the thread saying the same about Lukaku.

Pogba is a playground footballer. Turns up to show off in games where the opposition are poor enough to allow us the luxury of him doing so. As soon as the team need him however, you can forget it.

He is more interested in inventing silly handshake routines, showing off, and wanting people to look at his hair, than he ever will be in working hard to help his team win a game.

He has the selfishness of a Gerrard or a Ronaldo but without any of the desire, determination, or basic maturity to go with it, and he's 24 years old. It is unlikely at this point he will ever grow up, and that means he will never be more than a liability in any game where it is important for him to put in work for the benefit of the team.

The idea some people have of playing him further forward because he doesn't work hard enough to play in central midfield is a nonsense...as if playing him in another position somehow makes it less important that he works hard. In a succesful team, every player works harder than Paul Pogba ever does.

The fact is that he is on a pedestal as United's best player, but when you look at City (i.e. the team top of the league), if Paul Pogba played for them in the same way he does for United, he would be told to either grow up or feck off. He wouldn't get close to getting a game for them unless he had a serious change of attitude. At United he seems to go completely unchecked for it because he can showboat around onceor twice every ten games, against the likes of Stoke.
Remind me never to analyze a ... anything after a loss.

AP88

Supports
Man City

I agree, and was ridiculed for expressing it in the summer, but he’s proven it this season in big games - he’s the embodiment of everything wrong with Woodward’s lucrative United circus.

He is Veron 2.0 - spectacular talent, dubious attitude and effectiveness when it matters.

See if Real can be enticed into sending cash and Kroos for him, while also bringing in Frenkie De Jong. It’s obvious José won’t be moving away from the 4-2-3-1 so Pogba isn’t worth keeping.

MooseTheMooche

It's tactics, that's it. Put Iniesta in this set up and you'd be making the same thread about him, clueless.

Put Pogba in a midfield three and give him license to do whatever the feck he wants. There isn't another player in world football that possesses a combination of his physical, technical and mental capabilities. As him to play in a midfield 2 with a woefully out of form Matic and he's doomed to struggle. Herrera should have started in place of Lingard tonight, for no other reason than his tenacity and willingness to do the dirty work would have freed up Pogba to impose himself on the game.
This. All the way. Our approach to games and lack of said tactics is what holds us back.

AP88

Supports
Man City
So, who's up next for the: "We will never win the league with De Gea in the team" thread.
De Gea actually performs in a manner that justifies his salary and reputation, and isn’t an annoying prick off the pitch either.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
More worried about Pogba under Jose than I am Pogba full stop. Can see where you're coming from though Noods.. it's not a certainty by any means that he will lead us to success. He's been piss poor in big matches.
This is it imo.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Must play in a mid 3. Cannot play in a mid 2 against decent opposition.

I just wish Mourinho would accept this. It's so frustrating.

If I had the money, I'd do a banner...

"Pogba must play in a mid 3".

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Noodle gonna noodle.

Silas

De Gea actually performs in a manner that justifies his salary and reputation, and isn’t an annoying prick off the pitch either.
How is he a prick off the pitch?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Reading the title I thought this was an ironic joke about how some people on here act, because the same shit is spouted about Smalling too. Because if it is true for Smalling, after a game like today, the same could be said for Pogba... (as he was outshined by the "much better and cheaper" Dembele)

Lets just face that we had a bad day, while Spurs was on fire. The hyperbole is really tiring

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

See you've progressed from posting anti Pogba posts to an entire anti Pogba thread. What's next for you.... a "Pogba out" banner from a plane on matchday?

el3mel

What is next ?

We will never win the league with Martial on the left..

We will never win the league with Valencia on the right..

We will never win the league with David as a GK... Well that actually happened so forget it.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Just popped in to see how we're all dealing with the...oh. Oh I see.

*Reverses back out through the hedge*

Nas-JR

ok, While the thread is clearly an impulse and the accompanying statement is an exaggeration, there is undoubtedly a problem with pogba's attitude and work rate especially in the big games. we've seen it time and again, he doesn't track back, doesn't follow his marker and his defensive positioning is atrocious. it's been seen and highlighted many a time in past games against weaker opposition (think of those stoke chances a few weeks back) let alone the stronger games, with the difference being that he plays against quality players in the latter that expose him more and take their chances... he also seems to not be able to handle high pressing at all, which part explains why he plays far worse against big teams who press much better. I can't put a finger on why, he seems too nonchalant, laid back, even complacent in the big games and wants way too much time to make decisions in the game. it is not good and he needs to change in that regard.

people will say that its hardly a genius observation that he performs better against the lesser teams because everyone struggles in big games, which is partly true, but with his talent he should be excelling in such games. look at KDB, he performs just as brilliantly in the big games (getting MoM in the majority) as the smaller ones, and he just generally seems far more driven to impose himself on such games than pogba does... or maybe his decision making is that much better than pogba's, that it shows in bigger games. as i said I don't quite understand it. people might also say he should play higher up the pitch, which is certainly true (pogba and matic in a big game as mid 2, stupid decision), but I've seen many games were he has been placed there and has not performed, so again it's not as simple as that.

OP certainly has valid observations and it is better to acknowledge than to ridicule them, without going overboard ofcourse! constructive criticism is always healthy.

IronCroos37

i actually thought this is a parody thread.

I am waiting for the next ''we will never win the league with ...? who hmmm

Walters_19_MuFc

Juve won the league and got to the CL final with him, where he was later named in the world XI.

Thing is, Jose is so stubborn and obviously doesn't know how to use him effectively. Playing him in a two is criminal. Frustrates the hell out of me.

L1nk

Extremely knee-jerk reaction, i understand and agree he needs to do more in big games do stamp his authority down, but to say we'll never win the league with Pogba in the team? We won't win the league due to other factors, Pogba not being one of them.

stepic

Worst thread of 2018 guarenteed and we’re only just in February lol

J_Red 11

Honestly, we can't really defend Lukaku here. He has failed to score a single goal against top 6 sides this season.

I get the OP point, it's so frustrated when we see a striker playing for us with no technical skills but just pure strength, power and pace. If you don't have technical skills, you are just not top class footballer and any good defenders can exploit the player's technical limitation.

Just look at those top class striker out there, Lewandowski, Kane, Suarez, RVP, RVN, Eto'o, Rooney, Benzema they are all strikers with 3-4 times better technique than Lukaku. It's so frustrated because against Lukaku, all you need is as defenders just some muscle, stay tight with him and he will lose the ball.

But I have to disagree with one thing about never win the league, with a proper better tactic and better service we can get the best out of Lukaku. But his limitation is what makes us to spend even more money to buy more players in order to cover his weakness sadly.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
I'm not sure that I would go as far as the OP, but I also question Pogba's decision making and maturity; and the same goes for Martial. When you look at today's game, there were 2 attacking players who had the composure and the decision-making to receive and hold the ball, and do something intelligent with it - Alexis and Mata. Pogba keeps trying to be fancy in every situation instead of playing hard and doing what is necessary for the team, and Martial had several opportunities on counterattacks to put in a cross, make a pass, or shoot, and he kept dribbling and losing the ball.

People get frustrated that results and performances are not better, but I don't think there is enough quality in this team yet to play "the United way". The entire front line should be looking at Alexis and Mata and taking notes, instead of practicing handshakes, as someone else put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.