We will win the league this season | Champions as it Stands

meamth

Rejoice!

This is the dream summer we all wanted.

Sancho, Varane, Trippier and possibly a DM?

We should be challenging from day 1. Ole this is your time!

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I am normally not a betting man, but even I’m incredibly tempted to put money on Man United to win the CL next season.

13 to 1 are fantastic odds.

Malcusss

Even if Pogba goes, we should have enough of a creative spark to score against anyone. Still, McFred together don't provide enough protection, consistent transition accuracy or press resistance to make me feel completely confident in big games against teams who will press us. I think Fred is good enough in the freer role in a midfield two, but ideally we should have been looking for an intelligent midfielder to partner him in providing defensive structure and solidity, as well as quality on the ball (passing, press resistance). Ideally, I feel we need a player in the mold of Verratti, busquets or kimmich to really round out the side and dream of doubles, but that's obviously out of the question.

If we do secure Varane, I don't think we'd have much to envy of anyone in terms of the attack and defence, and much will depend on if he's able to hit the ground running, acclimatize to the premier league and link up well with Maguire.

Reactions: Sultan

wise_old_man

Rejoice!

This is the dream summer we all wanted.

Sancho, Varane, Trippier and possibly a DM?

We should be challenging from day 1. Ole this is your time!
Even if Pogba goes, we should have enough of a creative spark to score against anyone. Still, McFred together don't provide enough protection, consistent transition accuracy or press resistance to make me feel completely confident in big games against teams who will press us. I think Fred is good enough in the freer role in a midfield two, but ideally we should have been looking for an intelligent midfielder to partner him in providing defensive structure and solidity, as well as quality on the ball (passing, press resistance). Ideally, I feel we need a player in the mold of Verratti, busquets or kimmich to really round out the side and dream of doubles, but that's obviously out of the question.

If we do secure Varane, I don't think we'd have much to envy of anyone in terms of the attack and defence, and much will depend on if he's able to hit the ground running, acclimatize to the premier league and link up well with Maguire.
Sancho and Varane secured! :keano:
I have decided this thread should be bumped with each "Here we go" of our signings in this summer.

Pavl3n

I predicted we would finish above Liverpool last season and was correct, so I know what I’m doing.

It depends on transfers, I think we will get Varane but I just think our squad is not only going to have enough quality next season, I think it’s also going to be the hungriest. I think Liverpool are over the hill and Man City are going to be flat next season. I think we will be around 6-8 points clear in April. Quote me.
While I agree about Liverpool being over the hill and City maybe having a flat, you seem to be forgetting about Chelsea. Even if they're in desperate need of CF, they'll be in the mix for the title.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Anything less than a serious title challenge and a QF/SF in the CL should be seen as a massive failure this season, really. We absolutely have a good enough squad now for both. No more excuses.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I like percentages.

Man City 45% chance of title
Liverpool 25%
Man Utd 15%
Chelsea 10%
Everyone else adds up to 5%

If City get Kane then they go up to 60% and the next 3 lose 5% each.

If we get all of our targets and everyone else stays the same than it's something like

MC 40%
Man Utd 25%
Liverpool 20%
Chelsea 10%
All the rest 5%

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I like percentages.

Man City 45% chance of title
Liverpool 25%
Man Utd 15%
Chelsea 10%
Everyone else adds up to 5%

If City get Kane then they go up to 60% and the next 3 lose 5% each.

If we get all of our targets and everyone else stays the same than it's something like

MC 40%
Man Utd 25%
Liverpool 20%
Chelsea 10%
All the rest 5%
Don't know why but I've got a feeling City will drop off a little bit this season and Chelsea will win it. Perhaps just a feeling of a slight drop in quality from City along with a big upturn at Chelsea.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't think so but we should certainly push City and Chelsea if they continue their form from last year.

Breadth in squad quality would be less significant this year, so City won't be able to just destroy teams full of unavailable players. Chelsea were on a great run at the end of the season and if they can sustain it, they can push for a title challenge.

The only thing that might put an upper limit on our points tally compared to last season is how lucky we were with injuries. Not sure if that'll be repeated and not sure how good our backup options would be (and OGS has shown be doesn't like rotation).

RedMilo

Maybe... we will need a little bit of luck with injuries, and if we lose Pogba then still suggest we need a Grealish type midfielder, who can keep hold of the ball and create but our squad with signings of Trippier, Varane & Sancho is as good as anyone in my opinion. We should be in a proper race at very least.

Hughes35

If we get Varane over the line with a Midfieldier (2 if Pogba leaves) then we really should be challenging.

------------------------------------------------De Gea / Henderson------------------------------
AWB-------------------------Varane----------------------------Maguire------------------------Shaw
--------------------------------------------????-----------------Pogba----------------------------
Sancho-----------------------------------------Fernandes---------------------------------Rashford
---------------------------------------------------------Cavani-------------------------------------------------

Bench - The other GK, Telles, Lindelof, Fred, Greenwood, Martial, Lingard, Mctom, Amad, Axel, James

That is a very good squad. Really is only that CDM / CM spot that would need addressing for us to have a team that should be challenges.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maybe... we will need a little bit of luck with injuries, and if we lose Pogba then still suggest we need a Grealish type midfielder, who can keep hold of the ball and create but our squad with signings of Trippier, Varane & Sancho is as good as anyone in my opinion. We should be in a proper race at very least.
Sancho is that world class creator, between him and Bruno we are fine. Grealish doesn't fit. We need the holding midfielder regardless of Pogba staying or going.

MrSingh2002

The Pogba situation is now the biggest priority. Either extend his contract or we have to buy a better player. Good luck with buying a better CM....

Next season the priority will be the long term centre forward and the starting 11 CDM that we need.

In an ideal world Pogba stays and we sign the starting 11 CDM.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
We still need an upgrade on DMF and I'm slightly concerned on our striking options. As good as a season he had, heavily relying on a 35 year old Cavani to score our way to a title, I just don't think is enough.

Polar

We have a fair chance to win the league

City 50%
United 25%
Chelsea 15%
Liverpool 10%

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We have a fair chance to win the league

City 50%
United 25%
Chelsea 15%
Liverpool 10%
No chance is it 50/50 for City. Liverpool much higher chance as well, they won the title and then had an injury crisis all season and the loss of motivation. There's always a big motivation drop after winning a title and we constantly see it with City.
I'd put it at:
Man City - 30%
Man United - 23%
Liverpool - 22%
Chelsea - 20%
Others - 5%

Rojofiam

The market is seriously overrating City and Chelsea's chances, especially the former. Their 86 points will be nowhere near enough for the title this season.

I'd say wait until they sign Kane and then the smart money will be on United / Liverpool

Polar

No chance is it 50/50 for City. Liverpool much higher chance as well, they won the title and then had an injury crisis all season and the loss of motivation. There's always a big motivation drop after winning a title and we constantly see it with City.
I'd put it at:
Man City - 30%
Man United - 23%
Liverpool - 22%
Chelsea - 20%
Others - 5%
Last year I thought it was 50/50 who won the league between City and Liverpool. I didn’t see any other team with the potential to win.

After a second thought, I can adjust it to:

City 45%
United 25%
Liverpool 15%
Chelsea 15%

Polar

The market is seriously overrating City and Chelsea's chances, especially the former. Their 86 points will be nowhere near enough for the title this season.

I'd say wait until they sign Kane and then the smart money will be on United / Liverpool
Or you are underrating them ;)

Rightnr

People putting Chelsea behind us as league challengers seem to forget we've not won the league in years and in that time Chelsea have won multiple ones (3?).

They have that experience and belief, even if not the same players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People putting Chelsea behind us as league challengers seem to forget we've not won the league in years and in that time Chelsea have won multiple ones (3?).

They have that experience and belief, even if not the same players.
Why do their more recent league wins have any relevance? Bearing in mind it's a different manager and most of the players are different too?

Do we, for instance, have more chance of winning the European cup, because we're the last team to win it out of us and City?

Irwin99

Varane and Sancho definitely lift the expectations around this team to a strong title challenge at the very least. City will still be favourites but the gap should be closing.

I still think Chelsea need to build on their success last season with a serious statement of intent and buy a big player or two. Have no idea what to expect with Liverpool.

Rightnr

Why do their more recent league wins have any relevance? Bearing in mind it's a different manager and most of the players are different too?

Do we, for instance, have more chance of winning the European cup, because we're the last team to win it out of us and City?
I just feel they have that winning mentality and can be counted on to come through in the clutch.

Could be just my personal bias but Chelsea have won plenty of trophies with all kinds of set-up, formations and managers.

Your point on recency is not a fair comparison as well. Not only have they won more league titles but also more trophies. In my eyes, Chelsea are definitely ahead of us as favourites for the league or at the very least same %-age.

Finally, I don't expect a defensive mid to come in which is a major weakness for us and people are really not putting enough pressure on Chelsea considering they spent twice as much as we'll spend on Sancho and Varane last summer. They should be challenging and be seen as City's main opposition.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I just feel they have that winning mentality and can be counted on to come through in the clutch.

Could be just my personal bias but Chelsea have won plenty of trophies with all kinds of set-up, formations and managers.

Your point on recency is not a fair comparison as well. Not only have they won more league titles but also more trophies. In my eyes, Chelsea are definitely ahead of us as favourites for the league or at the very least same %-age.

Finally, I don't expect a defensive mid to come in which is a major weakness for us and people are really not putting enough pressure on Chelsea considering they spent twice as much as we'll spend on Sancho and Varane last summer. They should be challenging and be seen as City's main opposition.
It's hard to judge how it goes.
If we see Varane in, we'll have made two major upgrades, which is surely more than anyone thought we'd do.

It seems unlikely we'll get these seemingly mythical, defensive beast, yet one who can set the tempo. No team in England has that player.

I'm just pleased we're going the City/Pool route of specifically addressing the weak positions. Rather than the Di Maria/Sanchez fantasy big name players that didn't really fit the need.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Gonna be an interesting season as the top teams bar Liverpool with Salah don't really have a striker/forward that is going to guarantee 20-25 goals at this moment in time. Something that is usually requited for the title, I think we are in for a really competitive season.

MrSingh2002

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Matic
Fernandes Pogba
Sancho Cavani Rashford

Today we're a Matic replacement away from a solid starting 11.

If Pogba's leaving then we're back to needing two starters. CM and CDM. All eyes on that area of the pitch now.

Then next season we go all out for the long term centre forward. We're one season away from being solid but hopefully the club surprise us and have a plan for CM and CDM in whats left of this window.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Truly comfortable situation and whole August ahead to prepare for eventual title race.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Matic
Fernandes Pogba
Sancho Cavani Rashford

Today we're a Matic replacement away from a solid starting 11.

If Pogba's leaving then we're back to needing two starters. CM and CDM. All eyes on that area of the pitch now.

Then next season we go all out for the long term centre forward. We're one season away from being solid but hopefully the club surprise us and have a plan for CM and CDM in whats left of this window.
Can you put the ages of the players next to their names please.

MrBest

Last year I thought it was 50/50 who won the league between City and Liverpool. I didn’t see any other team with the potential to win.

After a second thought, I can adjust it to:

City 45%
United 25%
Liverpool 15%
Chelsea 15%
Liverpool have VVD back and have signed Konate. I would have them as equal chance to United at 20% each, city at 40%, chelsea the same and rest of teams at 5% combined.

wolvored

If we can get off to a great start this time we have a chance. Sancho and Verane need to hit the ground running if not straight away then after 4-5 games. If Cavani can play in 25-30 Premier games then Sancho and Shaw should be able to find his bonce and he could have a bucketload. If we can score a dozen or so more and keep out a dozen or so less, we wont be far away. I reckon under 90 points will win it in a 4 horse race.

Wayne's World

With the money we have spent, which is ridiculous amount under Ole, If we don't win the league next season it's a massive failure. You can put every sort of spin on it for Ole but you don't spend this type of money to finish in the top four again and fail to qualify out of CL group-stages