Weird feelings of football

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Ben Chilwell is actually an actor playing a footballer who has got quite decent at it.

jem

10 years from now, Ryan Babel will still be getting called up to the Dutch national team, which will inevitably be coached by one of De boer, Koeman, or Van Marwijk.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Nuno Gomes will start alongside Ronaldo as striker for Portugal this Euros

P0GBA

During the Euros the amount of stoppage time is always announced at 45 minutes and 40 seconds. Even if there are no stoppages during the half a token minute will be added on so that the referee doesn't look stupid for playing for an extra 40 seconds.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If you wear your socks over your knees you're absolutely rapid. If you have socks below your calves you're slow but +10 on skills.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Dunno if this has already been done, but I ain't re-reading 114 pages to check!

If there are two brothers who both play football, it will invariably be claimed that the younger is the more talented. It will invariably be the case that they are not.

Gary and Phil is the obvious one here. And I know some will claim that Phil was more talented. But they're wrong, and have been taken in by all the people who vastly underrate Gary.
Eden and Thorgan are who made me think about it this evening (partly because I was thinking currently they seem to be trying to prove me wrong on the second part!)
I'd put money on Fabio being the younger twin, because if so they fit perfectly too!
Shaun and Bradley Wright-Philips?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
There are only two refs for UEFA competitions: Bjorn Kuipers and Cuneyt Cakir

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
They play Copa America every year until Messi finally wins it. Now that he won it, they will go back to play it every 4th year.

sugar_kane

The entire nation only got incredibly excited about Grealish when England were playing bad and he was on the bench.

He missed a big chunk of last season through injury, and was barely mentioned in popular discourse when he did play - now he's suddenly a £100m player.

That is not to say more knowledgable fans haven't always rated him highly, but the 'weird feeling' here is that his popularity suddenly exploded on a mass scale at the Euros without him actually doing anything.

Oh and it’s probably not really in the spirit of the thread, but here’s some actual data that backs up this feeling:

https://trends.google.com/trends/ex...?hl=en-US&tz=-60&geo=GB&q=Jack+grealish&sni=6

tentan

Poor man's poster.
It took 9 years for Chelsea to win their second Champions League title, the same amount of time as Man Utd for theirs. For some reason it seemed more like 15 years for United and 5 for Chelsea.

The time between 99 and 08 seemed longer than the time between 2012 and 2021.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It took 9 years for Chelsea to win their second Champions League title, the same amount of time as Man Utd for theirs. For some reason it seemed more like 15 years for United and 5 for Chelsea.

Partly because our first one was in 68 so we’re used to long waits, part because they’re new money so it’s maybe more likely/less impactful and earned and part because football in 99 and 2008 was so different whereas 12 and 21 don’t feel like different generations?

Withnail

I assume you're a United and were waiting for them to win another one while you weren't waiting for Chelsea. It's like a watched kettle.

Laphroaig

Time moves faster when you're older.

gormless

Time moves faster when you're older.
True but it felt like completely different era’s of football from 99 to 08. The 99 team I associate with shit pitches and the earlier PL years. The 08 team feels closer to 21 than 99 in my mind. Just better quality pitches, and the presentation of football on tv just having a more polished feel

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
True but it felt like completely different era’s of football from 99 to 08. The 99 team I associate with shit pitches and the earlier PL years. The 08 team feels closer to 21 than 99 in my mind. Just better quality pitches, and the presentation of football on tv just having a more polished feel
I think a lot of it is due to the switch to HD broadcasts circa 2006-2007. And the massive amounts of money that started flowing into the sport (and the PL specifically) around the same time period.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
In a big game, where one team's lineup looks dreadfully crap on paper, they will in fact win.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Not really a weird feeling as such but

A lot of people say Forlan and Veron 'failed' at United but they both actually ended up winning a Premier League title. Not bad.

Blood Mage

The contract length of our deadwood players (Jones, Pereira, Lingard etc.) seems to increase by a year every season.

TheRockSays

Supports
Arsenal
Players 20-30 years ago looked 5 years older than they do now at the same age.

Alive and Kicking

Man United never played Southampton at OT in the 1990s. The fixtures were always played at The Dell. The first time somebody noticed and arranged a home fixture against S'oton was the game where Taibi committed his gaff.

Oddboy

In the opening games of the season a manager will rotate in some of the deadwood... Not for match fitness but to highlight glaring weaknesses in the squad in order to pressure the board into extra transfers before deadline day - even if it results in dropping points.

Totally not related to today

RedSinha

In the opening games of the season a manager will rotate in some of the deadwood... Not for match fitness but to highlight glaring weaknesses in the squad in order to pressure the board into extra transfers before deadline day - even if it results in dropping points.

This is exactly what I feel about the surprise Matic selection.

Winrar

Mane and Salah are the only two players that have scored for Liverpool in the last few years.

Manchester City have won the last 10 league cups, and they beat us in the semifinal every single time.

Every player that used to be a big fan of a club end up playing for one of their rivals.

Last edited:

Le Red

This is easily explainable by the fact you were younger in 99-08. Perceived passing of time gets much faster as you age.

Le Red

This is less of a conspiracy theory and more like a reasonable perception that might have a lot of truth in it.

Le Red

Every time a rare or unusual incident happens in a football match (either on the pitch, or off)... an eerily similar incident will either have occurred at another match being played at the same time, or occur in the match played straight afterwards, or occur in the match played the very next day! And then those types of incidents will not occur again for a very, very long time! Plenty I can remember...

The penalty red card decisions involving both Luiz (Wolves vs Arsenal) and Bednarek (United vs Southampton) in more recent times.

The day the Birmingham "fan" attacked Grealish... there were two other less severe incidents in other games, an Arsenal fan putting his hand on Smalling as he run past him to celebrate a goal, and a similar incident in a Scottish league match too! All either on the same day/same weekend!

Crowd trouble in the stands with police in the Roma/Man Utd first leg back in 2007... anyone remember that? Before Roma got spanked 7-1 in the second leg... anyway the very next day there were very similar scenes in Tottenham's away UEFA Cup tie in Seville (I remember them showing it live during the game!) Of course the Roma-Man Utd stuff could have been on the Sevilla/Spurs fans' mind and kinda encouraged it in a way...

However I think one of the strangest I remember, was one day in the Premier League where there were three separate incidents (from three different games) involving teammates squaring up to each other... very peculiar... rare to get that at any time (on the pitch) but three on the same day was super weird!

I'm sure those on the Caf have many more of these types of things!
I recall one day seeing the linesman drop his flag out of the blue. Had never seen it in my life. Same day, different match, saw it again. Never seen it since.
And there are a couple of similar coincidences that I can't recall specifically but fit your description.