Weird feelings of football

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The seriousness of a foul is directly proportional to the loudness of the ref's whistle.

RochaRoja

When David de Gea plays for Manchester United, 90% of shots on target are about a metre either side of his feet.

When he plays for Spain...not so much.

Josep Dowling

Everton have never been a good or bad PL team since its started, they've always been bang average
This is spot on, even when they made top 4 they couldn’t beat Villarreal to actually reach the Chanpions League.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Lionel Messi’s accelaration and speed decreased but passing range and vision improved as soon as he got a normal haircut.

Chairman Steve

Whenever Everton are on TV, they always pan over to Duncan Ferguson and wax about how great he was for them, even though I don't remember him scoring that much and his reputation was kinda based on his thuggishness.

Also it's a cert that if we're playing them, they'll mention he scored against us in one or two games? And that's somehow impressive enough to be mentioned constantly?

Chairman Steve

How people apply the mantra of 'There's no easy games in the Premier League' then apply revisionism and say they were gimmies.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That's just not true. You think that's the case because of stats that say that for every 30 long shots only 1 goes in, but the thing is that out of the other 29, plenty will lead to corners, freekicks, chances, etc.. in this sport you can't measure what's efficient or not even close to accurately. Stats are a load of nonsense more often than not.

Possession isn't that valuable in football that makes losing the ball to a goal kick a problem, it might be inefficient if you're Barcelona and value possession that highly as a strategy but for most teams it's not a problem.

If it's effective or not depends entirely on the team's strategy and the circumstances of the play.
Do you have the notion that the majority of the posters here do know what sport they are talking about? Football.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Apart from their time under Villas Boas and up until this season, Chelsea had been playing the exactly same brand of football since Mourinho first took over.

Every other Football League game is decided by a stoppage time goal.

Additionally, a half of Football League goals are scored by a winger cutting inside and curling it into the far corner.

Ronaldo has not dribbled past a player since 2008.

The Paraguay national team ceased to exist when Santa Cruz retired from international football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Whenever Everton are on TV, they always pan over to Duncan Ferguson and wax about how great he was for them, even though I don't remember him scoring that much and his reputation was kinda based on his thuggishness.

Also it's a cert that if we're playing them, they'll mention he scored against us in one or two games? And that's somehow impressive enough to be mentioned constantly?
Reminds me a little of collymore in his autobio saying that he "always" scored against us, when im not sure he scored more than one in his forest days

Winrar

Leeds United disappeared after first division switched over to premier league, only to temporarily reappear when we faced them in cups.

We never win against West Brom at home.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lower league games have at least two long range goals in every game

Eric's Seagull

He didn't score a lot for Everton, most were with his head. He is the best header of the ball that I have ever seen. He also scored a few peaches including the first of his brace against us in 1996 (16&17 in video).
Can also see the thug in him in vs Stam in 2000.

cvslfc123

Supports
Liverpool
Harry Redknapp went from being seen as a highly rated manager to an awful one simply as a result of being sacked by Tottenham in 2012.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Having at least one naff team from Lancashire whose name starts with B in the English top flight is mandatory at all times. This is also the only reason Ian Holloway's Blackpool were ever allowed anywhere near the Prem.

Only 20% of James Ward-Prowse's career touches have been in open play.

When tuning into any given Spurs match that's already in progress, the first thing on the screen is always Harry Kane picking himself up off the floor having won a free kick on the halfway line.

Reactions: Penna

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
I’ve noticed this before but it even applies to football in general. Everything looks old as shit in 1999 but really modern by 2001, 2 and 3.
Is it because Sky turned Digital in 2001, so the resolution of videos from then are much higher.

I'm amazed when I watch back clips from the 90's, you can barely make out the players! Clearly back then we didn't know better and thought it was crystal clear.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Is it because Sky turned Digital in 2001, so the resolution of videos from then are much higher.

I'm amazed when I watch back clips from the 90's, you can barely make out the players! Clearly back then we didn't know better and thought it was crystal clear.
I'm not even sure it's that, although it probably helps. It just seemed like everything became more cutting edge and modern looking, from the design of the kits to the logos around the ground on the advertising boards. Everything looked very 90s, and became very 2000s seemingly overnight.

United58

10+ years ago, Premier League teams were full of players who'd been there 7+ years. Now, each team has an entirely new squad each season (with the exception of Tottenham).

sevenxl

Whenever a replay is shown of a close United goalscoring chance, it always cuts straight back to the other team attacking, crowd behind them on the verge of scoring themselves.

Nr.7

Players play better and have a better technique with black or red football boots and worse when they wear white boots.

Winrar

Every mid-top tier player in Serie A has previously played for domestic rivals at some point.

Long range shooting is only inefficient and predictable with good or average players. But we had a legend called Sir Bobby Charlton. Portugal ignored his skills and he won the Semi. West Germany was so scared of his long range shooting they put Beckenbauer on him. His record at United was only beaten by Rooney. It’s actualy about ability and mind set. Modern players are programmed to pass even when the chance to shoot is in front of them. The great players like Ronnie rise above it and let loose from all distances.
Would say Suarez is the perfect example of this, all the weird and "stupid" shots he took for Ajax and Liverpool, don't understand how half of them went in.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tougher the name of a player/manager/DOF, higher the fans will rate him

IronCroos37

i have a weird feeling that liverpool will win teh title this year, hope it wears off!

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Since 2008/2009 we never had a fixed first 11, or a known best 11.
The squad from the 2011/2012 season was a very weird one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_Manchester_United_F.C._season

Lots of defenders who sometimes played and sometimes didn't play (Rio, Vidic, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Rafael, Fabio) with Evra as the only constant. 3 wingers with similar playing time (Nani, Valencia, Young), who were just in and out of the side depending on the mood of the gaffer. 4 Center Forwards in the squad and about a dozen central midfielders, which was a very weird selection. Scholes, Park, Giggs, Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson, Fletcher and you even had Rafael and Phil Jones sometimes in midfield. Horrible squad building really.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Whenever a replay is shown of a close United goalscoring chance, it always cuts straight back to the other team attacking, crowd behind them on the verge of scoring themselves.
I always hear the crowd make a noise and panic trying to figure out if that noise is good or bad for us depending on whether we're home/away and the crowd seems happy or sad :lol:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Players play better and have a better technique with black or red football boots and worse when they wear white boots.
So weird but I agree !! if a footballer has nice football boots he is usually technically gifted :lol: