Weird feelings of football

IronCroos37

there is less talent in the football world then it was last decade or two decades ago. Especially in fullback area, striker, central defence. I mean remember dzeko, he was a ok striker back then because there were loads of other great forwards as well, but a player like dzeko would stand out. He is just an example.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Older generations of iconic footballers didn't have exceptional scoring records except for Puskas and Muller.

Now you are only considered iconic if you have an exceptional scoring record.

United58

there is less talent in the football world then it was last decade or two decades ago. Especially in fullback area, striker, central defence. I mean remember dzeko, he was a ok striker back then because there were loads of other great forwards as well, but a player like dzeko would stand out. He is just an example.
An interesting theory regarding this is the fact that, say, 30 years ago in England all the kids had to keep them occupied was football - playing all day every day - so they all worked on their technique hours and hours a day without realising it.

Nowadays you have the internet, social media, video games etc etc that keep kids from playing ball.

I'm Irish, I remember reading an account of the careers of Robbie Keane and Damien Duff before the World Cup 2002 that said they'd play from dawn until dusk, that's all they did - back in the 80s, we'd no internet/video games etc to do anything else.

This theory gets 'extrapolated' when people claim that third world countries will become more prominent (as in, their kids can only play football [therefore developing their abilities]) as first world countries become more and more digitalised. I'm surprised the jump hasn't come sooner - though I do understand expensive coaching and first class facilities help massively.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Euro 2016 never happened. I dunno why it just seems quite forgettable for some reason.

Back in the 1950s/1960s/1970s (black and white tv days) every player seems almost identical to each other - same height, weight and style of play etc.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Not sure if it's a weird feeling but Henrik Larson is always mentioned on here like some Zlatan like signing that drove us to success whereas I didn't see what was so amazing about it? I guess the weird feeling is the craze over him when nothing incredible happened.

Also, footballers were always immature men with weird haircuts and piercings but suddenly the same pundits are crying about the "modern day footballer"??? I don't get it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How the hell is Riquelme only 40? He'd been shit for a good 15 years, I assumed he'd be 50 something.

Abizzz

A 4th round FA cup tie at Arsenal could never be this important on a monday or tuesday night.

Threads created by @fontaine are never locked.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Arsenal's Invincibles team had only 4 offensive players: Ljungberg, Pires, Henry and Bergkamp.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not even a weird feeling, especially with English strikers.

Early to mid 90s, Shearer, Sutton, Collymore, Wright, Cole, Fowler, Ferdinand, Sheringham

Apart from Kane, we now have the likes of Wilson, Vardy

Member 115509

Watching City's Premier League games just now and constantly forgetting I actually want them to win, for obvious reasons.

acnumber9

Not sure if it's a weird feeling but Henrik Larson is always mentioned on here like some Zlatan like signing that drove us to success whereas I didn't see what was so amazing about it? I guess the weird feeling is the craze over him when nothing incredible happened.

Also, footballers were always immature men with weird haircuts and piercings but suddenly the same pundits are crying about the "modern day footballer"??? I don't get it.
Lots of Celtic fans on the forum.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A team defending a lead in the dying minutes always opt for a desperate long throw in and lose it everytime resulting in a dangerous counter attack.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Brazilians with dumb names (ex. Fred, Bernard, Jo) never amount to much, while ones with awesome names starting with 'R' (ex. Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Romario) are nailed on to succeed. The ones with names that feel like a made-up Scrabble word tend to succeed as well (ex. Pele, Neymar, Cafu, Kaka.)
:lol:

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
All Serie A games in the 90s and early 2000s were played in perfect, sunny weather.

For current Serie A games, the weather is either cloudy or rainy.

GeorgieBoy

Chelsea always seem to have a striker desperately needing a goal to break his duck.

2 man midfield

Chelsea always seem to have a striker desperately needing a goal to break his duck.

I think it’s because they always seem to make such weird signings, like old, big name strikers or those with a point to prove. They also seem to go into every season with a brand new first choice centre forward.

They’ve had Pato, Giroud, Falcao, Costa, Higuain, Morata, Remy, Batshuayi, Torres, Ba, Eto’o and Drogba - and that’s just the last 4 years!

GeorgieBoy

I think it’s because they always seem to make such weird signings, like old, big name strikers or those with a point to prove. They also seem to go into every season with a brand new first choice centre forward.

They’ve had Pato, Giroud, Falcao, Costa, Higuain, Morata, Remy, Batshuayi, Torres, Ba, Eto’o and Drogba - and that’s just the last 4 years!
Wow, more than I thought! Maybe not a weird feeling; but actually true.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Bobby Charlton is about 20 or 25 years older than Alex Ferguson, not 4.

IronCroos37

Chelsea always win trophies every year, especially after they change managers. This season is bad for them so they might just win the league cup.

MUfreak

Maybe someone has posted it but I think that our No 7 jersey is cursed since after Ronaldo.

2 man midfield

Maybe someone has posted it but I think that our No 7 jersey is cursed since after Ronaldo.
The whole legendary number 7 thing is a load of bollocks anyway imo. We've had more average players wear the shirt than legends. Best, Charlton (neither of whom wore it every week), Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo...am I forgetting anyone?

Then Owen, Valencia, Depay and Sanchez. That's nearly levelled the number up and that's just the last 10 years.