Weird feelings of football

ElCuddlos

Patrick Viera's head is a perfect sphere. It looks round no matter which angle you look at it from.

Reactions: Jippy

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Son never scores 'simple' goals, he only scores screamers from outside the box.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Villa have never had a full house at home. There's always been visible empty blue seats.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Carlos Queiroz has been at every World Cup but has never actually won a game.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Carlos Queiroz has been at every World Cup but has never actually won a game.
I really need his agent contact to manage my personal career: he fails in every NT job he has been in the last decade but still manages to get offers. This time he didn't even made the qualification stage as Iran manager, but somehow got offered the job just for the WC.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I really need his agent contact to manage my personal career: he fails in every NT job he has been in the last decade but still manages to get offers. This time he didn't even made the qualification stage as Iran manager, but somehow got offered the job just for the WC.
That's actually amazing. Don't need to do any of the actual work, just show up for the party and take the inevitable group stage exit that everyone expects.

Steffa Barnesa

That's actually amazing. Don't need to do any of the actual work, just show up for the party and take the inevitable group stage exit that everyone expects.
Thought I heard on commentary he failed to qualify with Egypt and Colombia, so have looked it all up. Apparently Iran sacked the guy who qualifed them for the tournament in record time and replaced him with Queiroz, but he was also Egypt manager when they lost the playoff to Senegal, and Colombia manager during qualifying where (according to wikipedia) their performances after restarting from covid "slipped disastrously, with a 0–3 home loss to Uruguay (its worst ever home loss for 82 years) before being shockingly thrashed 1–6 by Ecuador, and this finally put the end of Carlos Queiroz's reign as Colombia's boss". Wow.

Reactions: oates

sugar_kane

There is an alternate reality where Sporting Lisbon are still in the Champions League and that's why you have thousands of people online talking about Ronaldo returning there and taking a pay cut so he can play CL football.

Arlo

Whatever is going on right now isn't actually the World Cup. It's just a bunch of international football matches that seem to have more significance than usual.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Switzerland haven’t ever lost a match yet have never won anything

Antarion

Teams or national teams that make a big game in group stages and make it super hard for every opponent there go out very easily in the first KO round

Back To Madeira

Despite leaving the Mackems in 2018 and retiring from playing football after a stint at Reading the following year, John O' Shea still marshalls the back line for Sunderland at the sprightly age of 41.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Teams or national teams that make a big game in group stages and make it super hard for every opponent there go out very easily in the first KO round
Just hope Korea and Japan can break that spell. Korea has no chance against Brazil but I'm sure that Japan can beat Croatia.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Spanish goalkeepers go on strike during penalty shootouts.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
What was the last world cup with baggy football shirts? 2002?
2006 I reckon. Shirts were still hefty then.

2010 Adidas definitely had a specific shirt for tight fit. Had an X type thingy on it.

Underdog GK's always save a pen.
I guess you could argue that they get more practice either in training or in matches because it's expected that they'll face more? I do agree with this feeling though.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Only clubs who play in white, red and blue kits win trophies. I've yet to see clubs with green, black, yellow etc kits win a trophy.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I guess you could argue that they get more practice either in training or in matches because it's expected that they'll face more? I do agree with this feeling though.
Might also be psychological. In general a keeper isn't expected to save a penalty, so there is very little pressure on him. But a penalty taker for the favourite team is under massive pressure, as he shouldn't even be in the situation that he has to score a penalty.

This makes it more probable to shoot a weak one which can be saved.

redshaw

That penalty shootout with Villarreal was very peculiar to say the least. Reality had to bend that much for a club in yellow to win that night.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Another good one:
This is actually true.

WC 2022, 1/8 final -> pens, beat Japan

Euro 2020, 1/8 final -> ET, lost to Spain

WC 2018, 1/8 final -> pens, beat Denmark
WC 2018, 1/4 final -> pens, beat Russia
WC 2018, 1/2 final -> ET, beat England

Euro 2016, 1/8 final -> ET, lost to Portugal

WC 2014, out in group stage

Euro 2012, out in group stage

WC 2010, didn't qualify

EURO 2008, 1/4 final -> pens, lost to Turkey

So, since 2008, the only knockout game that they played that didn't go to extra time was the final against France.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Despite leaving the Mackems in 2018 and retiring from playing football after a stint at Reading the following year, John O' Shea still marshalls the back line for Sunderland at the sprightly age of 41.
And he's just started doing his stand up show again too.