Weird things about football that are true but don't sound it

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Messi just received his first red card for Barcelona...

After 753 games!
Gary Lineker played around 500 professional games and never had a yellow or red card.

lysglimt

Scout
Neville and Carragher + Micah Richards and Roy Keane - are 2 of the strangest couples who seem to get along as pundits. Esp Richards and Keane really seem to get along - God knows how that happened :)

2 man midfield

Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)
David Seaman's ponytailed look is his most iconic and you'd presume it spanned a large section of his career, but he only wore it for about three years, these years being his final ones in professional football.
Wow, good one

Le Red

In 9 seasons at Chelsea, Didier Drogba only scored more than 20 goals in just two seasons. In comparison, Diego Costa did it twice in 3 seasons, Harry Kane has done it continuously in past 5 seasons and Aguero in 8 out of 9 seasons.
Just shows goals is not the only metric of quality, specially when comparing players of different times.
In the 00s, I believe goals were split more among other players than they are today, not to mention you didn't see 6-7 goal trashing every other week.
I remember Anelka being top PL scorer with less than 20 goals. Unthinkable today.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
David Seaman's ponytailed look is his most iconic and you'd presume it spanned a large section of his career, but he only wore it for about three years, these years being his final ones in professional football.
Does anyone remember the urban legend that Seaman only started wearing his hair in a ponytail because Arsenal had a deal with a hair tie company and had to find someone to replace Petit as the representative?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Just shows goals is not the only metric of quality, specially when comparing players of different times.
In the 00s, I believe goals were split more among other players than they are today, not to mention you didn't see 6-7 goal trashing every other week.
I remember Anelka being top PL scorer with less than 20 goals. Unthinkable today.
That shows Drogba wasn't reliable goal scorer and people forgot how inconsistent he was too. Also that Anelka season was in 2008-09, before that season Ronaldo scored 31 league goals and Henry, RVN regularly scored more than 20 league goals.

2008-09 was exception, we struggled to score a lot and Ronaldo was injured was first few months of the season.