Weird things about football that are true but don't sound it

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Pro Vercelli has won as many Serie A trophies as Roma, Lazio and Napoli combined (7).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Alan Smith scored for MK Dons in a 1-0 win against Sheffield United in April 2012. His previous goal before that was the 2nd goal against Roma in the 7-1 win in April 2007.

That is a hefty drought. Scored 0 goals for Newcastle in over 90 games.

Manuel Neuer is the voice actor for Frank in the German language version of Pixar's Monsters University.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

It's weird when you see him now, just a shadow of the player he used to be.
The facts about Norway, i don't think many are aware of.
Probably the only things in football we can be proud of, except Solskjær :lol:
Also a third place in the Olympics 1936 after beating Nazi-Germany in Germany in front of 55.000 Germans in the quarter final.:drool: "The same day at the Poststadion, Berlin before a crowd that included Goebbels, Göring, Hess and Hitler, Germany were knocked out 2–0 by Norway. "

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If Real Madrid win this seasons Champions League, they will have won as many Champions League titles since Alex Ferguson retired as Manchester United have won in history.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Real Madrid have won the Champions League twice since they last won their domestic league.

Art Vandelay

During the title race a few years ago, the captain of one of the teams in it was caught on tape shouting to his teammates "this will not fecking slip".

In the following game, he physically slips at a critical moment allowing the opposition to score a goal effectively ending their chance to win the Premier League.
:lol: Brilliant.

Halftrack

During the title race a few years ago, the captain of one of the teams in it was caught on tape shouting to his teammates "this will not fecking slip".

In the following game, he physically slips at a critical moment allowing the opposition to score a goal effectively ending their chance to win the Premier League.
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but the slip wasn't what gave Demba Ba the ball. Stevie Me letting the ball across him without checking to see if it was safe to do so (like an absolute amateur) was his major mistake. The slip just punctuated his massive cock-up. Even if he hadn't slipped, he'd have been unable to do anything about it. A fact which, to me at least, makes the whole situation even more hilarious.

On the topic of Stevie, and this thread: In his last ever game against bitter rivals Manchester United at Anfield, Liverpool legend Stevie Me is subbed on at half time in order to shore up their midfield, only to get sent off after 38 seconds.

Last edited:

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
In 1257 games, Rogerio Ceni scored 131 goals.

Not that impressive until you learn he was a goalkeeper.

stevoc

Ole Gunner Solskjaer's first goal for Manchester United was against Blackburn at Old Trafford after coming on as a substitute in 1996.

Ole Gunner Solskjaer's last goal for Manchester United was against Blackburn at Old Trafford after coming on as a substitute in 2007.

paulscholes18

Only Djimi Traore has won the champions league out of himself, Maradona, Fat Ronaldo, Batistuta and Ibrahimovic

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
In the 93-94 season, Francisco Liaño set the Spanish league record for goals conceded per game with 18 goals in 38 games (0,47 ratio). He didn't made it into the 94' WC squad because Javier Clemente chose Julen Lopetegui (58 goals in 38 games, 1,52 ratio)

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

:lol: Did this actually happen? That sounds hilarious.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but the slip wasn't what gave Demba Ba the ball. Stevie Me letting the ball across him without checking to see if it was safe to do so (like an absolute amateur) was his major mistake. The slip just punctuated his massive cock-up. Even if he hadn't slipped, he'd have been unable to do anything about it. A fact which, to me at least, makes the whole situation even more hilarious.

On the topic of Stevie, and this thread: In his last ever game at Anfield, Liverpool legend Stevie Me is subbed on at half time in order to shore up their midfield, only to get sent off after 38 seconds.
I'm sure you wish that was true but it's not. Sadly.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Only Bobby Zamora and Obafemi Martins have scored PL penalties with both feet.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
From 93 - 01 United were 2 points away from winning 9 consecutive Premier League titles .
Holy shit.

93 - winners
94 - winners
95 - 1 point behind
96 - winners
97 - winners
98 - 1 point behind
99 - winners
00 - winners
01 - winners
07 - winners
08 - winners
09 - winners
10 - 1 point behind
11 - winners
12 - 0 points behind
13 - winners

two incredible runs

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Also a third place in the Olympics 1936 after beating Nazi-Germany in Germany in front of 55.000 Germans in the quarter final.:drool: "The same day at the Poststadion, Berlin before a crowd that included Goebbels, Göring, Hess and Hitler, Germany were knocked out 2–0 by Norway. "
Never heard of this before, i was wuite young at the time.
Awesome though!

freeurmind

weak willed
Blackburn Rovers once chose to sign Tim Sherwood instead of Zinedine Zidane.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Falcao, Victor Valdes, Schweinsteiger, Di Maria and Pique all played for us at one point.
And even weirder is they were all a disappointment! Pique possibly too young to make such a statement, but certainly the rest

Add also Veron

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Guillermo Stabile made his debut for Argentina in the second group match of the 1930 World Cup.

He scored twice, then a hat trick in the final group match, then 2 in the semi, then 1 in the final.

After the World Cup, Stábile never played for Argentina again. This meant that in his international career, he could boast having scored a hat trick on his debut, scoring in every game he played for the national side, a goals per game ratio of 2.0 and being the top scorer at the first World Cup.

Frank Grimes

Guillermo Stabile made his debut for Argentina in the second group match of the 1930 World Cup.

He scored twice, then a hat trick in the final group match, then 2 in the semi, then 1 in the final.

After the World Cup, Stábile never played for Argentina again. This meant that in his international career, he could boast having scored a hat trick on his debut, scoring in every game he played for the national side, a goals per game ratio of 2.0 and being the top scorer at the first World Cup.
How did he score a hat-trick on his debut if he scored 2 in the second group game?

IRELANDUNITED

In just 3 seasons, Gary Cahill went from having won nothing in his entire career to having won everything possible. (the league cup, the FA cup, the Premier League, the europa league and the champions league).
Mad that because he is so so average

IRELANDUNITED

Rooney was once an amazing football player.[/QUOTE]

How does this qualify for this thread? We all know how good he used to be which makes his fall from grace so frustrating for us fans

Blind

Gareth McAuley has the same number of goals for Northern Ireland as George Best.

Halftrack

I'm sure you wish that was true but it's not. Sadly.
You're right, of course. I remember someone saying that it was, and for some reason I remember the game being a few weeks later in the season. Edited the post to make it slightly less hilarious(ly wrong), but more factually correct.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Italy's all-time top goalscorer scored 35 international goals.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Before his move to Leeds both Graeme Souness at Liverpool and Trevor Francis at Sheffield Wednesday turned down the chance to sign Eric Cantona.

Souness because he was trying to get players that were 30 or older out and didn't want a 'Problem player' Francis because the weather was poor and he wanted Cantona to stay an extra week so he could see him play on grass.