Weird things about football that are true but don't sound it

Red the Bear

Something less generic
They had some world class players in that team. Superstar players like Santamaria, Valera(captain), Juan Alberto Schiaffino ( one of the best players in the world at that time) and V.R.Andrade. They performed superbly in tough group stage against Czechoslovakia, Scotland and Austria , never conceded any goal and demolished a great Scotland team 7-0. They surpassed to quarter finals against England, England had some great players like Wright, Finney and Matthews but they were not a problem for that Uruguay. Uruguay won easily 4-2. After they surpassed England, they gonna faced one of the best teams of all time "Magyars team" that had players like Czibor, Budai, Kocsis, Hidegukti and Bozsik. They gave a great fight, however they lost 4-2 against that Magyars team. Their last matches was against a marvellous Austrian team that lead by Ocwirk and Hannapi and they lost to Austria and got a 4th places.

Based on pure talents, I would say yes they probably had a better talents in 54 . Santamaria, Leopardy, Abbadie, Hohberg and a lot of youngsters were debut at that tournament mixed with veteran players like Obdulio Valera, V.R. Andrade and Schiaffino and they got one of the best teams in the world at that time. Unfortunately, they faced the best teams in the world at semi final and lost against another great team ( Austria) in third place play-off.

Puskas was injured and couldn't play against Uruguay.

This is a great article about Uruguay 1954.
https://footyanalyst.com/the-invinc...es-hungary-and-uruguay-in-the-1954-world-cup/
Great post.

Boavista

They had some world class players in that team. Superstar players like Santamaria, Valera(captain), Juan Alberto Schiaffino ( one of the best players in the world at that time) and V.R.Andrade. They performed superbly in tough group stage against Czechoslovakia, Scotland and Austria , never conceded any goal and demolished a great Scotland team 7-0. They surpassed to quarter finals against England, England had some great players like Wright, Finney and Matthews but they were not a problem for that Uruguay. Uruguay won easily 4-2. After they surpassed England, they gonna faced one of the best teams of all time "Magyars team" that had players like Czibor, Budai, Kocsis, Hidegukti and Bozsik. They gave a great fight, however they lost 4-2 against that Magyars team. Their last matches was against a marvellous Austrian team that lead by Ocwirk and Hannapi and they lost to Austria and got a 4th places.

Based on pure talents, I would say yes they probably had a better talents in 54 . Santamaria, Leopardy, Abbadie, Hohberg and a lot of youngsters were debut at that tournament mixed with veteran players like Obdulio Valera, V.R. Andrade and Schiaffino and they got one of the best teams in the world at that time. Unfortunately, they faced the best teams in the world at semi final and lost against another great team ( Austria) in third place play-off.

Puskas was injured and couldn't play against Uruguay.

This is a great article about Uruguay 1954.
https://footyanalyst.com/the-invinc...es-hungary-and-uruguay-in-the-1954-world-cup/
Don't they all look quite old in that picture? Had a look at their 1954 world cup squad and apparently only four players were older than 30. I think only 35 year old Maspoli and Varela are pictured here, so the rest must be in their 20s? and those two could pass for a fair bit older too

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Although such a feat is nigh-on impossible, scoring an own goal via a direct free kick results in a corner. Question on "the Chase" the other day.

Booda

Luke Shaw has only 13 assists in 8 seasons and 202 games for Manchester United. Wan-Bissaka has 11

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The average Internet fan's tolerance of a player, or move from thinking them brilliant to appalling is 6 games.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Although such a feat is nigh-on impossible, scoring an own goal via a direct free kick results in a corner. Question on "the Chase" the other day.
Smash it so hard against the crossbar it bounce off it into the air and all the way into the goal at the other end.

Matriac

Luke Shaw has only 13 assists in 8 seasons and 202 games for Manchester United. Wan-Bissaka has 11

Not that I trust Transfermarkt to be 100% correct on all their stats, but they have Luke Shaw at 20 assists (and 3 goals) in 206 matches, 16,134 minutes.

And Wan-Bissaka at 10 assists (2 goals) in 120 matches, 10,495 minutes.

So for once, not completely true? Still, the sentiment is the same, Shaw who has at times been hailed as a great offensive contributer, on average provides an assist every 9th match, whereas Wan-Bissaka who is said to be horrible going forward, has 1 assist per 11.6 matches.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
The average Internet fan's tolerance of a player, or move from thinking them brilliant to appalling is 6 games.
There is no such thing as form in modern football, you are only as good as your last few games. Maguire is now the worst centre back in the league despite being one of the best last season and at the euros. Same for Shaw, conversely Patrick Schick is now an good option for us because he has played well for the last few months despite that fact nobody had even heard of him before the euros. Maybe they are just young and missed out on Michu and Amir Zaki.

Patchbeard

There is no such thing as form in modern football, you are only as good as your last few games. Maguire is now the worst centre back in the league despite being one of the best last season and at the euros. Same for Shaw, conversely Patrick Schick is now an good option for us because he has played well for the last few months despite that fact nobody had even heard of him before the euros. Maybe they are just young and missed out on Michu and Amir Zaki.
To play devils advocate, Schick was a very promising youngster until he joined Roma where he was mostly 2nd fiddle to Dzeko so found himself playing wide or on the bench, and he's now fulfilling that promise he showed as a youngster ever since he left Roma.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
This is also true for a goal kick and throw in. Effectively, you can't score an own goal direct from a dead ball situation. A throw in that goes direct into the opponents goal results in a goal kick.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Danilo Pereira is the second highest scorer for PSG in the league after 23 games played this season. With 4 goals.
Not surprising. At Porto he scored quite a few headers on set pieces and screamers.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just learned that Torres played more games for Chelsea than he did Liverpool.

I don't know about you but that sounds weird to me.
Ashely Cole won more league titles at arsenal than he did at Chelsea is always one that throws me.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Virgil Van Dijk has played 59 matches at Anfield in the league and has never lost any of them.

Robertd0803

Ashely Cole won more league titles at arsenal than he did at Chelsea is always one that throws me.
2 with Arsenal, 1 with Chelsea? Could have sworn he won more with Chelsea as well.
Virgil Van Dijk has played 59 matches at Anfield in the league and has never lost any of them.
Thats a stat that needs to change rapidly. And I dont mean playing 60 and counting and not losing.

Ramos

Giorgio Chiellini has never played a World Cup knockout game (and never will).

Chief123

In a match the ball is only ever in play for around 60 minutes of the game. The other 30 minutes are just wasted.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
In a match the ball is only ever in play for around 60 minutes of the game. The other 30 minutes are just wasted.
You'll be lucky to see a game in the top flight with 60 minutes in play ball time now.
It's been progressively getting shorter year on year.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Chiellini? Nah i reckon he'll stick around for 2026.

Kiru

Supports
Liverpool
I haven't seen this one in this thread but

If a forward beats the GK and shoots towards an empty goal and a defender throws his shoe or any other object towards the ball to avoid the score, the referee must award a penalty for the attacking team and show a red card to the defender as the shoe / object is considered an extension of his hand.

Weirdest rule I discovered recently.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I haven't seen this one in this thread but

If a forward beats the GK and shoots towards an empty goal and a defender throws his shoe or any other object towards the ball to avoid the score, the referee must award a penalty for the attacking team and show a red card to the defender as the shoe / object is considered an extension of his hand.

Weirdest rule I discovered recently.
It actually makes a lot of sense that throwing objects is forbidden. But I agree it's weird to call it "an extension of the hand". :lol:

Josh 76

14 months ago Utd were top of the PL and Liverpool were struggling to make top 4.