Weird things about football that are true but don't sound it

Chief123

Despite Ronaldo being the only person ever to score in 5 world cups, he’s only ever scored in 6 matches.

Only one of his goals was of true quality (last minute free kick against Spain)

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Despite Ronaldo being the only person ever to score in 5 world cups, he’s only ever scored in 6 matches.

He's not even the only person to do it, just the first man.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Bit silly if we have to qualify every reference to football with the word “men’s” in the sentence. :rolleyes:
Your post said only person to score in 5 world cups, he isn't the only person. If you're going to say person at least be right in your statistic.

Chief123

USA have also won 4 world cups to Englands measly 1. Why on Earth were they considered underdogs yesterday I wonder.
Exactly. It was a fantastic result getting a draw against the current world champions!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
USA have also won 4 world cups to Englands measly 1. Why on Earth were they considered underdogs yesterday I wonder.
Don't you know every NBA and NFL season is a world championship season?

distant_red

I haven't seen this one in this thread but

If a forward beats the GK and shoots towards an empty goal and a defender throws his shoe or any other object towards the ball to avoid the score, the referee must award a penalty for the attacking team and show a red card to the defender as the shoe / object is considered an extension of his hand.

Weirdest rule I discovered recently.
Say you're a defender racing back toward goal in that situation, you making a lunging effort, sliding feet first and you scuff the toe of one boot, it comes off your foot and sails toward the ball, hitting it and diverting it from goal. Never seen it but would make a great moment.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

There's always someone who has to try and dismiss a top player's achievement isn't there.

Pele - Most goals in a weak league
Messi - hasn't won the world cup has he.
Muller - tap in guy

etc etc

Chief123

It's this constant doubling down you're doing here that makes it funny (and borderline sexist).
What makes this funny is your sincere efforts to even make this an issue. Take a break pal. My god I’m a borderline sexist because I didn’t mention “‘male footballer”.

lysglimt

Scout
Norway has never lost a game against Brazil and Argentina

Argentina : 2 wins
Brazil : 2 wins and 2 draws

lysglimt

Scout
There's always someone who has to try and dismiss a top player's achievement isn't there.

Muller - tap in guy

etc etc
Yes but in fairness for a goalmachine like Ronaldo has been - 6 goals in 5 World Cups really is quite unremarkable

Chief123

Muller - tap in guy

etc etc
Wasn’t dismissing his achievements at all. Was just stating an observation which was surprising to me. It’s not undermining what he’s achieved to say only one of his goals was an outstanding moment.

I mean that’s literally the whole point of the thread. Weird things that are true but don’t sound it?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes but in fairness for a goalmachine like Ronaldo has been - 6 goals in 5 World Cups really is quite unremarkable
That's the thing with national teams, you can have some pretty weak players around you, or they can simply not perform.
There's always a team or 2 with quality line up who underdo it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That's the thing with national teams, you can have some pretty weak players around you, or they can simply not perform.
Or your performances during World cup individually can be terrible, as it was the case with Ronaldo during some World cups. He had borderline embarassing performances for a top player in at least 2 World cups. This will be probably third if he continues his club form.

lysglimt

Scout
Well Portugal had quite decent players at least during the last 3 world cups

Arlo

Rapid Vienna have won more Bundesliga titles than Bayer Leverkusen.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Rapid Vienna have won more Bundesliga titles than Bayer Leverkusen.
Warrant of Rectification served by Pedantic Police:
Rapid Vienna won the Deutsche Fußballmeisterschaft in 1941, while the Fußball-Bundesliga was founded in 1963.

Arlo

Warrant of Rectification served by Pedantic Police:
Rapid Vienna won the Deutsche Fußballmeisterschaft in 1941, while the Fußball-Bundesliga was founded in 1963.
My apologies for the wrong wording. It's not the Bundesliga title, as it came to be known later on, but it's still a German Championship.
Warrant of Rectification received :D

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Haven't checked this but just read that Varane just lost his first ever final in what was his 20th final.

Glad we didn't save that honour for him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Steve McClaren was only 45 when he got the England job, even though he looked 61, which he is now.

cyberman

Slight variance of my similar stat on here but Messi was 18 when Italy won their last WC knockout game.
That’s covered the entire Messi v Ronaldo era

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Steve McClaren was only 45 when he got the England job, even though he looked 61, which he is now.
I keep forgetting that he's our assistant manager again, and spotting him on the bench and being re-surprised.

So just "McClaren is our assistant manager" would be enough to qualify for this thread for me.