Welbeck & Young Webchat

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It was all going so well until the favourite Cities/musicians question.

Then Young reveals he bases his holiday destinations on how good the shopping is and Welbeck reels out some kind of ultimate list of unacceptable taste in music.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'd say it might have been a bit different being there and experiencing the cnuts go fecking giddy.

I look forward to Saturday...K Stand Reds...We are here.
Yeh that's a good point. Being there would have been something else...

Mainoldo

I don't get what people expected Danny to listen too?? Rizzle kicks?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Why do people care what other people listen to? Pretty shit interview.

Platato

Psst!
Drake :houllier: it's the equivalent of throwing up in music.A shit so-called rapper
What's with kids these days and their rap? They need to bless their ears with some jazz. Herbie Hancock. McCoy Tyner. Miles Davis. Lee Ritenour. George Duke. Marcus Miller. hell even Stevie Ray Vaughn

Those guys made music that put you in another realm. Now we have synthesized sounds which are supposed to make us feel something but lack any substance. Simply gets the blood flowing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I can appreciate Jazz even if I'm not a big listener.I appreciate the effort invested into making it, it's beautiful to listen to.I love french rap from late 90s, it's better than any US rap produced in any era.

Platato

Psst!
Got some samples? Only french "rap" song i know is Alor en dans (something like that). I'm glad you appreciate jazz. Their music came from deep within and demonstrated their beliefs about the world and about life and the places they've been. It's undergone some enormous transformations. To translate that through music with such emotion was simply powerful. Made your jaw drop with their ability to explore on stage and produce something new from songs they've played numerous times.

Jazz isn't the only genre that does this but because it allows for such freedom of expression, you really can connect with the artist. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. once it gets a hold of you, it never lets go.

ArmchairCritic

What's with kids these days and their rap? They need to bless their ears with some jazz. Herbie Hancock. McCoy Tyner. Miles Davis. Lee Ritenour. George Duke. Marcus Miller. hell even Stevie Ray Vaughn

Those guys made music that put you in another realm. Now we have synthesized sounds which are supposed to make us feel something but lack any substance. Simply gets the blood flowing.
Rap put me on to numerous different genres, some of the sample flips you hear are utter genius.

kouroux

Got some samples? Only french "rap" song i know is Alor en dans (something like that). I'm glad you appreciate jazz. Their music came from deep within and demonstrated their beliefs about the world and about life and the places they've been. It's undergone some enormous transformations. To translate that through music with such emotion was simply powerful. Made your jaw drop with their ability to explore on stage and produce something new from songs they've played numerous times.

Jazz isn't the only genre that does this but because it allows for such freedom of expression, you really can connect with the artist. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. once it gets a hold of you, it never lets go.
Just a few samples ;) all late 90s early 00s

Platato

Psst!
Rap put me on to numerous different genres, some of the sample flips you hear are utter genius.
I don't doubt the talent it takes to make such samples. They're very good at what they do. No matter how cool or "genius" it sounds. I don't find any substance with it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Platato

Psst!
Just a few samples ;) all late 90s early 00s
Oops. I realized it a bit late but it would help if I actually spoke French. Presuming you're saying it's better than anything produced in Yank nation, the power must be in the words.

This is off topic but how often do travel to Africa? Love how the people there always have time for you.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Good to see Ashley Youngs love for the club. I didn't think he was into it all that much. Danny.. So innocent :lol:. Love the kid he's such a champ.

kouroux

Oops. I realized it a bit late but it would help if I actually spoke French. Presuming you're saying it's better than anything produced in Yank nation, the power must be in the words.

This is off topic but how often do travel to Africa? Love how the people there always have time for you.
The power is in words, the french language contains more vocabulary than the english language.It's allowing true artists to use the language and produce some amazingly complex lyrics while keeping a tight flow.
I was born in Africa but went to France at a young age and have done all my school there up until my Master's degree.Now I take benefit from my dual citizenship and just leave in Africa with my family.I intend to stay here for good now

JmRssll555

I know a lot of people slating Welbeck's music choices, but it's hardly surprising that those are the tunes he plays.

He's a young, rich, English footballer who plays in a team with Rio Ferdinand, of course he's going to be forced into enjoying Drake - who is frankly, utter shite. However, Jay-Z is outstanding and some of Kanye's stuff is also excellent.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Mainstream music these days is woeful. It's little wonder why kids grow up and continue the cycle of producing shite music after the utter dreg they have pushed on them while growing up.

I think all of those are utter shite but I listen to classic rock and classical. It's just the people who take issue with it. He can listen to whatever he wants.

ArmchairCritic

I don't doubt the talent it takes to make such samples. They're very good at what they do. No matter how cool or "genius" it sounds. I don't find any substance with it. Maybe I'm missing something.
Substance in terms of musicality or content? Plenty of content in rap, just have to know where to look.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I don't care what he listens to these days. He used to be the president of a Barry Manilow fan club for crying out loud. He played in a tribute band called The Many Loves with a bunch of old dudes. His musical credentials will always be cool with me.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
When Young was answering the favorite movie question I couldn't help but wonder if he had to think about how he phrased that sentence.

Platato

Psst!
Substance in terms of musicality or content? Plenty of content in rap, just have to know where to look.
Musicality. The content is okay nowadays. The little bits I dabbled in from the late 80's and 90s was quality stuff in terms of content. Tupac Shakur. One of a kind. Haven't heard better. Doubt I will.

ArmchairCritic

Musicality. The content is okay nowadays. The little bits I dabbled in from the late 80's and 90s was quality stuff in terms of content. Tupac Shakur. One of a kind. Haven't heard better. Doubt I will.
It's depends on mood really, but stuff like Pete Rock's T.R.O.Y is tremendous.

Platato

Psst!
The power is in words, the french language contains more vocabulary than the english language.It's allowing true artists to use the language and produce some amazingly complex lyrics while keeping a tight flow.
I was born in Africa but went to France at a young age and have done all my school there up until my Master's degree.Now I take benefit from my dual citizenship and just leave in Africa with my family.I intend to stay here for good now
I find that ridiculously intriguing. There's a sort of superiority attitude when it comes to the English language. Might have to do with the number of people who speak it. For example, you won't see us Brits lose our accent if we travel overseas, especially America. It's highly valued over there and I remember occasions I got by because I was simply a Brit.It works to our advantage. Wish I went when I was younger. Birds love any sort of UK accent or any foreign accent for that matter. Would have had more luck but that's besides the point. They love the French and Italians too.

The fact you say there's more vocabulary lends me to seek out some lyrics for those videos you posted. Know where I can find some? Or would it not be the same since we have less vocabulary?

Platato

Psst!
It's depends on mood really, but stuff like Pete Rock's T.R.O.Y is tremendous.
Hmm. Maybe that's you. For me, regardless of my mood, I don't think the musicality has much substance. I mean that in the power it has. Just an addendum to the content. If the music had more power to it, I think the overall message and presentation could really be something special. Remember I'm old school though.

ArmchairCritic

Hmm. Maybe that's you. For me, regardless of my mood, I don't think the musicality has much substance. I mean that in the power it has. Just an addendum to the content. If the music had more power to it, I think the overall message and presentation could really be something special. Remember I'm old school though.
I agree but it really depends how I feel. Like right now I am listening to Grime (not very musical at all) but tomorrow who knows I will feel. It's all on the person though really. I think with some rap producers there is an appreciation for musical arrangement, Dr.Dre comes to mind, his mixes stand out so much.

Platato

Psst!
Yeah. The industry is probably so cut-throat now, lads are scared to be more creative. Don't listen to it much. Too much effort to find the good ones and I'm set with Jazz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is the bad rappers outnumber the good.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah. The industry is probably so cut-throat now, lads are scared to be more creative. Don't listen to it much. Too much effort to find the good ones and I'm set with Jazz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is the bad rappers outnumber the good.
Not really, the ones who have more exposure tend to be the worse ones but the Underground is always strong and guys like Kendrick Lamar are doing well. It's the same as anything though anyone reckons they can do something but they can't :lol:.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh god.

Platato

Psst!
Not really, the ones who have more exposure tend to be the worse ones but the Underground is always strong and guys like Kendrick Lamar are doing well. It's the same as anything though anyone reckons they can do something but they can't :lol:.
aye. youtube rappers.

Platato

Psst!
and for any bass players out there, be mindful how you slap or you'll just hurt yourself how I did. bleeding nail. Yikes.

Dante

Average bang
No it doesn't. It's not even close.

English is a relatively new, mongrel language with draws heavily from a much wider range of influences (including French when it was still in its early stages of development). It also doesn't have an equivalent to the Académie française which takes it upon itself to elide obsolete words from the lexicon.

You could obviously make a case for that not really fair comparison since a word that falls out of common usage doesn't deserve to be counted. But then the words never really disappear, not least if you can get away with calling Scarlett Johnasson a mewling quim in a Hollywood blockbuster.

And that doesn't even consider the fact that English is the lingua franca of the interenet-age and as such produces a greater a number of neologisms than any other language in history. In fact, hop hop probably does as much to spread newly created words as any other medium.

Count Orduck

The power is in words, the french language contains more vocabulary than the english language.
Is this true? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd be surprised. French has pretty solid Romantic roots, whereas English uses Romantic, Celtic and Teutonic words regularly.

Plech will know.

Cold_Boy

Why?

Some of his older stuff is pretty good if you ask me. His flow is impressive compared to the other rappers nowadays.
Exactly.

But people will hate just because they want to hate.

And stop getting worked up because of what someone listens to. Your choice is not the only choice.