Welbeck & Young Webchat

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How satisfying was Sunday's derby win and how big a psychological boost has it given you in the title race?

DW: It was satisfying. To go six points clear and to do it in a Manchester derby was a great boost for us. We won't be too complacent, though. Every single point counts.

AY: We knew if we won the game we'd go six points clear and that could have an effect on the title race. You saw the celebrations and how much it meant to the players and the staff. It was a massive boost for everyone at the club.

If you could play with one player from the past who would it be and why?

AY: I think I'd have to say Eric Cantona. I don't think I need to say why. He's a legend and he did so much for the club and the game of football. His impact was massive. He's a legend and if I could have played with someone in the past it would have been him.

DW: It's tough to choose one player but I'd have to say Zidane. He was a genius all around.

On an away trip, the gaffer challenges you to a game of table-tennis. Is it better to a) show him your competitive side ahead of a big game or b) lose!

DW: I'd try my best to beat him! He might be a professional and come out with all sorts of trick shots. I'd want to beat him.

AY: Yeah, I'm the same. I've got a winning mentality and I always want to win, no matter who it's against.

When you step out onto the pitch at OT, is there someone or somewhere you look to first?

AY: For me, I always look up to my box because my family are up there. I give them a wave before the game.

DW: Yeah, some of us have got boxes so that's fine for them! My friends and family are usually behind me when I walk out so I'm not about to walk out backwards. I'm usually just focused on the game.

If you could choose to be part of one game in all of Manchester United's history, which game would it be and why?

AY: I'd say the Champions League final from 1999. That's the one that sticks out for everybody. You just think, 'Wow, I can't believe that's happened'.

DW: I was in the front room watching with my family. The celebrations were mental. I think the whole street went wild!

I can't wait to see you in Australia on tour next year - have you ever been and how excited are you about visiting Sydney?

DW: It will be my first time. I'm really excited. I know it's a long flight but I hope I get a lot of sleep. Hopefully we can go out and explore a bit. I'm looking forward to getting out and getting some fitness.

AY: Yeah, I'm looking forward to it and I hope we can see some of it. Usually you don't get to see too much but I hope we get to see a bit. As long as the snakes stay away I'll be okay!

Where's your favourite place you've been on tour?

DW: I'd have to say America. That's the only place I've been with United on tour. It's completely different - everything's on a big scale. We had some time off and got to walk around the streets a bit. I really liked it.

AY: Yeah, America's great. When you get a day off you can go and explore. We got to go into New York last time, which is a fantastic place.

Does going on tour really bring home to you just how big this club?

DW: Yeah. No matter where you go there's a massive fan base. When you arrive outside hotels there are hundreds of fans outside. In the Club World Cup in Japan it was crazy. You get to see how big the club is worldwide.

AY: My first tour was something completely different to what I've known before. The number of fans that turn up is incredible and the stadiums are full. You get to see just how global the club is. It's the biggest club in the world.

Which are the most unforgettable moment of your United careers so far?

AY: I haven't been here too long but I'd say my first two goals. I won't forget them in a hurry. I keep saying, I think one of them should have been goal of the season! The game against Arsenal was fantastic, winning 8-2, and to get on the scoresheet twice was brilliant.

DW: My first goal, against Stoke. I can do without remembering the celebration, though!

What do you both do outside football to relax and who is best at playing FIFA?

DW: I'm better! But we play on different consoles so it's hard to say. I play it more than Ash, to be honest, I have more time to play while he's chilling out on his kids. I'm better than him. When we go away we play doubles. There are some good players and some bad players.

AY: And then there are some who think they're good but are really bad!

Ashley, which three cities would you love to visit in your lifetime? Danny who are your top five music artists of all times?

AY: London [laughs]. I have to say that because I'm from down south. I've not been to Paris - I'd like to go there because I've heard a lot of good things about that. Milan, too, mainly for the shopping!

DW: There are so many great artists out there. Michael Jackson's in my list, though. Definitely. Drake as well, Jay-Z, Kanye... then there's Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Rihanna... I like The Weekend as well. I can't pick five!

Apart from Old Trafford, which is the best stadium you have played in?

AY: I think Wembley but maybe that's because I'm there representing my country. It's always a proud moment to play for England there. It's an honour to play there.

DW: Wembley's great, yeah. Some stadiums mean more to certain people. I like Sunderland - the stadium's good and the fans are class. I enjoyed my time there.

Danny, do you have any special routines before games?

DW: I'm not a superstitious character who always has to do certain things. My routine is that I go to sleep before the game. I'm a big sleeper! I can sleep anywhere.

AY: He'll sleep all the way when we fly out for the tour, trust me!

DW: Ha, ha probably! For a matchday, though, I'll sleep first, have a shower and then go and get changed.

How does it feel when your standing in the tunnel waiting to walk out and all the fans are cheering?

AY: It's a great feeling. Until you experience it you can't really describe it. You've just got a buzz and you're ready to go out there and do your job. It's an exciting time to be in the tunnel.

What is your favourite meal before a game?

AY: To be honest, I have the same thing all the time. Spaghetti bolognaise. It does the trick!

DW: I just have whatever's put out. Pasta, bolognese, chicken, salmon... if it's an early kick-off we might go for beans on toast.

Danny, what's the biggest thing you've learnt from van Persie?

DW: Robin's a world-class striker and he's got so much to his game. He knows how to play all over the pitch and it's great watching him. He's not just a goalscorer. There's plenty to learn.

Ashley & Danny - with Christmas coming up, I was wondering what is the best Christmas gift both of you have ever received?

AY: My best present? I'm not too sure! The best present I've ever had are my kids.

Danny and Ashley, who is the person that you would most like to meet in your life?

DW: If I could sit down and eat with someone, I'd like to eat a meal with Jay-Z and Beyonce. If it's just one person to speak to, then I'd say Barrack Obama. I think he'd be really interesting.

AY: I'd say Muhammad Ali. He's the greatest. Him and Michael Jordan are amazing. To meet them would be special.

Danny, what would you think about Usain Bolt playing for United? I remember you once celebrated with the Bolt pose when you scored against Wolves a few years ago.

DW: He should come over and trial. He should come and train and show us what he's got. He's the fastest man in the world. He's one of a kind and I admire the way he prepares for his races. He's a real character.

If you weren't a footballer, what would be your occupation and why?

DW
: I think I'd be at university now. Both my big brothers went so I'd have followed them. I'm not too sure what I would have studied but I'd have liked to have gone.

AY: I would never have gone. Me and school didn't get on. I was good at school but I didn't enjoy it. I was an entrepreneur in the playground, though... I'd buy some cheap sweets at the shop and then make a profit by selling them to the other kids!

What makes a great football player?

DW: It's tough to pick just a couple of things. It takes a lot more than that. You have to be mentally strong, work hard, be hungry and determined. There are so many things that come into it and you have to work on them all.

What is your favorite sport aside football?

DW: Football's the main one for me. Growing up, you played different sports at school but football always stood out. I didn't consider anything else. I did play a bit of tennis and I like watching it now. I'm not a fan of golf. I like watching the basketball in America.

AY: Basketball. I like watching it as well. Some of the stuff they do is unreal. Lebron James is my favourite player. He's the man. Kobe Bryant's up there as well.

Which is your favourite movie of all time?

AY: I've got a few, and really we haven't got long enough for me to tell you all of them. As a kid I used to love the Mighty Ducks movies and I'd watch them all back to back. There's another one called Smile Orange. It's a Jamaican film. If you get a chance definitely watch it. I must have seen it 100 times.

DW: It's hard to pick a favourite. Mighty Ducks is before my time!

Ashley, do you have any tips for a young footballer on how to beat full-backs?

AY: Just have confidence in yourself to go past the defender. You need to know what you're going to do with the ball when it comes to you. You can beat them with skill or just with pace, but you have to decide early on and then go for it. (How about you fecking try it once in a while then, Ash. - Solius)

Is Patrice Evra a good DJ in the dressing room? Who would you replace him with?

DW: I think I can speak for both of us here. We've had discussions recently and as for Patrice's skills... he has some good tunes but recently he's mellowed a bit. The tempo in the dressing room has slowed down. I'm not saying he's showing his age but I think the tunes are...

AY: Let me tell you. The tunes have slowed down and they're not the beat we need before we go out on the pitch. But he is a good DJ and he has lots of tunes.

DW: I think his playlist is too big and when he hits shuffle it lands on a few slower songs. I have to say, I like his music but it could be time for a change if Ash is putting himself forward.

AY: I've done it a few times and I've never had a complaint. Even Albert, our kitman, was tapping his foot when I played a few tunes once.

Describe Sir Alex in one word.

AY: Winner.

DW: Winner.

(Chicken dinner - Solius)

How important is the Christmas period going to be?

DW: Definitely. Games come thick and fast and if you're picking up the pace over Christmas it's important. It's a vital period and a time all the boys look forward to. The only downside is that you're not with your family on Christmas night.

AY: There are so many games and if you can get momentum you can take that into the new year. Teams can drop points and as long as you keep picking up points home and away that's what's important. You have to be on your toes and be ready for the challenge. Again, leaving your family at Christmas isn't easy but footballers get used to that. If you can pick up points on Boxing Day it makes Christmas even better.

If you had to choose two other United players - one past and one present - to be stranded on a desert island with, who would it be and why?

DW: Roy Keane. If anything tries anything he'll take care of it!

AY: I would have picked Welbz but if we're both there already then we'll take Clevz. He'd probably come up with some good ideas to think of some escape routes.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Welbeck's music taste :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is Patrice Evra a good DJ in the dressing room? Who would you replace him with?

DW: I think I can speak for both of us here. We've had discussions recently and as for Patrice's skills... he has some good tunes but recently he's mellowed a bit. The tempo in the dressing room has slowed down. I'm not saying he's showing his age but I think the tunes are...

DW: I think his playlist is too big and when he hits shuffle it lands on a few slower songs.
The root of our problems, Noodle?

binary bot
Danny has just put Michael Jackson in a list with Drake?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Solius;12661023 [I said:
AY[/I]: Just have confidence in yourself to go past the defender. You need to know what you're going to do with the ball when it comes to you. You can beat them with skill or just with pace, but you have to decide early on and then go for it. (How about you fecking try it once in a while then, Ash. - Solius)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Welbs not to play at the weekend then thanks!

Evras music is surely to blame for our play, listening to slow stuff causes out zombie passing! Needs more Metallica - motorbreath.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I know you were on low there Danny...but Sunderland / City fans can do one. Class? Get to feck.
Isn't Sunderland one of those with/that had the loudest fans? I guess of they're supporting you and singing all game and making a load of noise for you, then it would be class.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He was in a band, called The Many Loves, Jesus.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Are you sure that the fans are class at Sunderland Danny ?
I don't get this resentment towards Sunderland fans to be honest. They did what pretty much any other team would have done in that instance. This is football after all...

Traub

Ashley Young has his own fecking box. Ridiculous.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Danny Welbeck making me feel old with his Mighty Ducks comment :(

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I don't get this resentment towards Sunderland fans to be honest. They did what pretty much any other team would have done in that instance. This is football after all...
Yeh I agree. As a fan I couldn't give 2 shots about what the Sunderland fans did. I can understand why the players and Fergie would have been pissed off though.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Yeh I agree. As a fan I couldn't give 2 shots about what the Sunderland fans did. I can understand why the players and Fergie would have been pissed off though.
I don't think it's meant to be too serious, most fans just want revenge for them rubbing our noses in it.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I'd say it might have been a bit different being there and experiencing the cnuts go fecking giddy.

I look forward to Saturday...K Stand Reds...We are here.