Television Welcome to Wrexham (Hulu)

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting first episode. Be interesting to hear from people that have been there if they portrayed the city accurately? They were pretty flattering in the episode.

Big Andy

Bloke
Interesting first episode. Be interesting to hear from people that have been there if they portrayed the city accurately? They were pretty flattering in the episode.
My missus lives in Wrexham and I’m moving there soon. It’s a shithole and full of weirdos. Did they show that side of it?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
My missus lives in Wrexham and I’m moving there soon. It’s a shithole and full of weirdos. Did they show that side of it?
No, they showed it as a lovely town that is a bit down on its luck, but everyone loves each other and will get through this together. There were places that looked a little methy, but everyone was said to be so lovely, there is no way there are actual meth heads!

Big Andy

Bloke
No, they showed it as a lovely town that is a bit down on its luck, but everyone loves each other and will get through this together. There were places that looked a little methy, but everyone was said to be so lovely, there is no way there are actual meth heads!
Most of the Wrexham locals look like they enjoy a few bags of heroin of a weekend for sure.

I picked my missus' kids up from school one day, and there was a mum with a hoodie on that just said "feckING TWAT" on the front. That's your stereotypical Wrexham girl (my missus isn't from there as a caveat, she moved there with her parents when she was in her teens)

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just watched the hooliganism episode, and I just felt bad for the girl who had to give up on her Police job because of her boyfriend

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Somewhere between the two probably.

Stand by McDonalds for 30 mins and you’ve got a decent chance of being abused or offered drugs.… or both. Nights out at the weekends can be a bit dodgy too.

But that’s the town centre. Go outside it to the numerous areas that make up Wrexham and there’s plenty of nice places (and some not so).

The grounds good though :)

RedDevilRoshi

Might start this later this evening once the football is finished.

I take it is this similar to the All Or Nothing series that Amazon do?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Might start this later this evening once the football is finished.

I take it is this similar to the All Or Nothing series that Amazon do?
Similar, but it really focuses on the club and fans. I like the approach they have taken. It is serious, but the right amount of light hearted humor.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Just watched the hooliganism episode, and I just felt bad for the girl who had to give up on her Police job because of her boyfriend
Me too. She just sounded gutted every time they interviewed her. End of the day, she could have sacked him off and do something she wanted to, rather than stick with a bloke whose main interest is to get into scraps.

anant

Me too. She just sounded gutted every time they interviewed her. End of the day, she could have sacked him off and do something she wanted to, rather than stick with a bloke whose main interest is to get into scraps.
Looks like she dumped him btw. Checked her twitter

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Loved that nutjob in the pub being put in his place by Ryan Reynolds :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Loved that nutjob in the pub being put in his place by Ryan Reynolds :lol:
Seems like one those blokes who thinks he’s a nice guy but always has too much to drink and acts like a twat. Got bad vibes from him the second I first saw him.

anant

That doesn’t sound stalkerish at all. No sirree :)
Just searched "wrexham" (tbf with the intention of getting to know if I was the only one who felt that the girl was stupid to give up her job for that hooligan), and came across the guy (hooligan) arguing with some poster around them

2 man midfield

Seems like one those blokes who thinks he’s a nice guy but always has too much to drink and acts like a twat. Got bad vibes from him the second I first saw him.
The sort of guy who “just tells it like it is” but is actually just a massive helmet

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The sort of guy who “just tells it like it is” but is actually just a massive helmet
Is that the painter who he said “do you just wake up in a sprint or what?” to or something like that? He made me quite uncomfortable during those scenes, just really aggressive and negative about everything when Reynolds and Rob were doing their best to say the right things. Wanker.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is that the painter who he said “do you just wake up in a sprint or what?” to or something like that? He made me quite uncomfortable during those scenes, just really aggressive and negative about everything when Reynolds and Rob were doing their best to say the right things. Wanker.
Yep. He clearly got pretty drunk at that meet and greet and you know he said way worse than that weasel comment or whatever it was.

2 man midfield

That’s him. I think Ryan and Rob handled the whole thing really well.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That guy was a right prick.

mitChley

Yep. He clearly got pretty drunk at that meet and greet and you know he said way worse than that weasel comment or whatever it was.
Reminds me of so many muppets after a few beers at a work event. Few pints in and they think you're their mate.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm about 7 episodes in, up to the episode where it seems like they ran out of stuff to use so they made a sketch show. It was good because the two of them are very likeable and funny, but a little jarring considering the very sincere tone of the show. Seemed like it could maybe have been a bonus episode for the end.

It's very good so far though. Rob seems ruthless when he wants something, Parkinson as manager, buying the ground, etc.

I am also a fan of the episodes being released in batches. A good middle ground between releasing it all in one go, and releasing one episode a week. I hope more shows follow that model.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The episodes they dropped today were all really good. Rob‘s comments as Ryan went around hugging everyone :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just watching the episode where Ryan goes to Wrexham on his own and Rob is super bitter about it :lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Just watching the episode where Ryan goes to Wrexham on his own and Rob is super bitter about it :lol:
:lol:

It's great, love it. Like how they mix in episodes about the locals, the players, and then Ryan and Rob, it's great they haven't just made it all about them. The episode about Jordan Davies and his girlfriend was pretty heartbreaking. Poor kids.

Must be insane being a footballer at national league level, I imagine you're not getting paid much more than any normal skilled profession yet you've such a short career and have to move your family around so much. Obviously they still get to do what they love, but it must be hard.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol:

It's great, love it. Like how they mix in episodes about the locals, the players, and then Ryan and Rob, it's great they haven't just made it all about them. The episode about Jordan Davies and his girlfriend was pretty heartbreaking. Poor kids.

Must be insane being a footballer at national league level, I imagine you're not getting paid much more than any normal skilled profession yet you've such a short career and have to move your family around so much. Obviously they still get to do what they love, but it must be hard.
Yea the whole series has been really well done, even the bits explaining stuff for US audiences is funny. And yes the one about Davies was horrible :(

Agreed re the money at that level too, it’s not the glamorous lifestyle you associate with “professional footballer” is it.

I’ve been really impressed with the way Rob and Ryan have gone about everything with the ownership of the club, they’ve just done it all right, right down to integrating themselves into the community, especially Rob with learning Welsh etc.

Big Andy

Bloke
When I'm at my mrs gaff in Wrexham (I'm moving there after Christmas) we usually get a takeaway on a Saturday. During lockdown when the football was cancelled and it was delivery only, Shaun Pearson (who was then Wrexham Captain) was a delivery driver for the local restaurant we used. Got chatting to him and he was saying that he could've earned more as a Plumber than as a footballer at that level, and was already taking steps to re-train and get a post football career as he was worried what the future held for him when he had to retire with no trade to fall back on. Must be tough that to know that at 35/36 you're going to have to basically start from scratch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When I'm at my mrs gaff in Wrexham (I'm moving there after Christmas) we usually get a takeaway on a Saturday. During lockdown when the football was cancelled and it was delivery only, Shaun Pearson (who was then Wrexham Captain) was a delivery driver for the local restaurant we used. Got chatting to him and he was saying that he could've earned more as a Plumber than as a footballer at that level, and was already taking steps to re-train and get a post football career as he was worried what the future held for him when he had to retire with no trade to fall back on. Must be tough that to know that at 35/36 you're going to have to basically start from scratch.
Shit. Wasn’t he the bloke that was in tears after being sent off in their last game of the season? Then immediately sacked. Brutal.

Vault Dweller

Yea the whole series has been really well done, even the bits explaining stuff for US audiences is funny. And yes the one about Davies was horrible :(

Agreed re the money at that level too, it’s not the glamorous lifestyle you associate with “professional footballer” is it.

I’ve been really impressed with the way Rob and Ryan have gone about everything with the ownership of the club, they’ve just done it all right, right down to integrating themselves into the community, especially Rob with learning Welsh etc.
I really enjoy the programme and can't help but think Rob and Ryan are just great guys too. Very funny as well.

The part about Davies I found tough to watch as my fiancée and I had a miscarriage this year, and it was very tough for her too. Where they spoke about opening up about things helped them is very true too. Was devastated for them at the end of the episode and sincerely hope they can have better times with a wee one in the future.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I really enjoy the programme and can't help but think Rob and Ryan are just great guys too. Very funny as well.

The part about Davies I found tough to watch as my fiancée and I had a miscarriage this year, and it was very tough for her too. Where they spoke about opening up about things helped them is very true too. Was devastated for them at the end of the episode and sincerely hope they can have better times with a wee one in the future.
Ah man sorry to hear about your loss mate, that must have been a really tough watch for you and your fiancée.

Vault Dweller

Ah man sorry to hear about your loss mate, that must have been a really tough watch for you and your fiancée.
Cheers man, and thankfully I watched that episode myself as I don't think she would have been able to. Definitely is one of the harder things I've worked through in my life, and absolutely appreciate how difficult these things are for people.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
They've made this documentary incredibly well, as if each episode focusses a completely different aspect on the club.

Also good to shine light on the controversies like the hooliganism, and not shy away that it is an issue.