Wenger appointed as a FIFA chief

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sounds like a great role for him, given his wisdom and passion for the subject matter. Wish him well.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Wenger pretended that Bayern were interested in him as a manager even though Bayern brutally shut him out and gave him no thought at all, what's funny is that Wenger fans on Arsenal mania thought that Wenger turned Bayern down! The delusion is just embarrassing.

No top club wants this guy. He always claimed he could leave Arsenal and walk into a top job. His best hope is PSG, a gig even Unai Emery got. And he can't even get that. It's just unbelievable we kept this clown for so long.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Wenger pretended that Bayern were interested in him as a manager even though Bayern brutally shut him out and gave him no thought at all, what's funny is that Wenger fans on Arsenal mania thought that Wenger turned Bayern down! The delusion is just embarrassing.

No top club wants this guy. He always claimed he could leave Arsenal and walk into a top job. His best hope is PSG, a gig even Unai Emery got. And he can't even get that. It's just unbelievable we kept this clown for so long.
Yeah. Cause you sure are better without this clown

/sarcams

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah. Cause you sure are better without this clown

/sarcams
Very lazy reply but we need to wait until the end of the season to see if Emery can match Wenger's back-to-back outside top 4 finish :lol:

Wenger signed all the garbage players we have including Xhaka. By the time he left our club, we were no longer a top 4 team, something I predicted back in 2013. I said he should leave ASAP before we completely fall off the radar.

Unfortunately we kept him on, we should have fired his backside and brought in Klopp when he became available. Arsenal fans who stood by Wenger deserve every loss/defeat/disaster that befalls this club. They were loyal to Wenger, not to the club. But for the many fans like me who saw the writing on the wall, we fired Wenger too late, signed a manager who wasn't exactly stellar, and didn't give him enough resources considering the squad Wenger left behind. Too little too late.

Fingeredmouse

Yes. You must hate him. Did nothing for your club the leech.

redshaw

He is 70 though. In the past he could've got other jobs.

I agree Arsenal kept him too long but calling him a clown is a bit harsh. The game moves on and it probably isn't a good job for ones health approaching 70.

djwejs

No big club wanted him. FIFA role may suit Wenger. Hope he isn’t biased towards the French national team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Yes. You must hate him. Did nothing for your club the leech.
I never said he did "nothing". But fans (in particular Wenger fans) should stop responding to facts, with their emotions. Let's look at the facts objectively, take all the bias out if it. Here's your headline: Wenger had 22 years at Arsenal. He has 3 league trophies and 0 European trophies (1 European final)

I have to repeat this shocking stat because I honestly can't quite believe it myself. He's a great manager, and he was in charge of some really great Arsenal teams for two decades. And he has 3 league titles, and 0 European trophies and 1 European final in 22 years.

That is an absolutely shocking record, and no manager in a top club could justify this record.

Now, Wenger was directly asked about this record, and instead of admitting that the fault lies with him, that he couldn't achieve a better league title record, he claimed that he could easily have won up to 19 league titles but it didn't matter because top 4 was like a league title. I wish I was making this up.

He was also asked about his 1 European final and 0 European trophies in 22 years and he said that it didn't matter because it's not as if Arsenal won any European before he arrived. This is the way Wenger talks about Arsenal.

He literally couldn't care less about league titles or European trophies, straight from the horse's mouth. I understand why a United fan wouldn't mind, but how can any self-respecting Arsenal fan want to keep a manager who literally tells you, he couldn't care less about league titles or European trophies? That's the part that really made me mad. He spits in their face and they use it as make-up. That's a cult following.

Falcow

Very lazy reply but we need to wait until the end of the season to see if Emery can match Wenger's back-to-back outside top 4 finish :lol:

Wenger signed all the garbage players we have including Xhaka. By the time he left our club, we were no longer a top 4 team, something I predicted back in 2013. I said he should leave ASAP before we completely fall off the radar.

Unfortunately we kept him on, we should have fired his backside and brought in Klopp when he became available. Arsenal fans who stood by Wenger deserve every loss/defeat/disaster that befalls this club. They were loyal to Wenger, not to the club. But for the many fans like me who saw the writing on the wall, we fired Wenger too late, signed a manager who wasn't exactly stellar, and didn't give him enough resources considering the squad Wenger left behind. Too little too late.

Funny as I always thought klopp might get the arsenal job back then. AW definitely stayed too long, probably 6 or 7 years. Emery hasn't fared much better thus far, Luiz and 70m on Pepe were poor signings. Dont know why Arsenal didn't try signing Rojo or Smalling or even Baily or Jones. Any of those would have improved your defence.

Would be interesting to see how someone like the Villa or Sheffield utd manager would fare out in the arsenal job.

r0x0rwolfo

He is the third most successful manager in England ever in terms of trophies.

He's not won as many leagues as he might sure. But he did build a financially successful club in the premier league era, improved the facilities and the stadium, and maintained top 4 on a shoe string. Did he overstay his welcome? Sure.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sounds like a great role for him, given his wisdom and passion for the subject matter. Wish him well.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
I hated him at Arsenal because he made them our top rivals.
But inwardly I had some respect for his capabilities as a coach and manager.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Your disrespect of an authentic football legend aside, your club has been pretty strapped for cash due to both financing the new stadium and the current ownership. You have to also look at who Wenger was competing against in his latter stage at Arsenal, clubs with near enough infinite resources. You struck gold when you got a manager in there who revolutionised football in England and had an eye for talent that was clearly a few steps ahead of everyone else. As soon as rivals caught up with you you were already heavily invested in future planning at the cost of building a super squad (no longer able to get gems for peanuts).

I am pretty certain that Emery will not prove to be half as successful as Wenger was. I was hoping he'd go to Bayern and win something just to spite the Arsenal fanbase. Oh well, at least his expertise is put to good use at FIFA.

JMack1234

Brilliant role.

One of the few major figures whose a very genuine asset for our sport.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don’t get why you’d hire a 70 year old to oversee a development program. Surely you want someone you know could be in the job for 5/6 years.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I never said he did "nothing". But fans (in particular Wenger fans) should stop responding to facts, with their emotions. Let's look at the facts objectively, take all the bias out if it. Here's your headline: Wenger had 22 years at Arsenal. He has 3 league trophies and 0 European trophies (1 European final)

I have to repeat this shocking stat because I honestly can't quite believe it myself. He's a great manager, and he was in charge of some really great Arsenal teams for two decades. And he has 3 league titles, and 0 European trophies and 1 European final in 22 years.

That is an absolutely shocking record, and no manager in a top club could justify this record.

Now, Wenger was directly asked about this record, and instead of admitting that the fault lies with him, that he couldn't achieve a better league title record, he claimed that he could easily have won up to 19 league titles but it didn't matter because top 4 was like a league title. I wish I was making this up.

He was also asked about his 1 European final and 0 European trophies in 22 years and he said that it didn't matter because it's not as if Arsenal won any European before he arrived. This is the way Wenger talks about Arsenal.

He literally couldn't care less about league titles or European trophies, straight from the horse's mouth. I understand why a United fan wouldn't mind, but how can any self-respecting Arsenal fan want to keep a manager who literally tells you, he couldn't care less about league titles or European trophies? That's the part that really made me mad. He spits in their face and they use it as make-up. That's a cult following.
:D Arsenal fans, jees.

buckooo1978

Arsenal fans really do scrape the barrel in terms of respect

I'm guessing you are in your early 20s at oldest

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don’t get why you’d hire a 70 year old to oversee a development program. Surely you want someone you know could be in the job for 5/6 years.
Because what he says in 30 minutes would take others 3 years to learn and articulate, of which would be of inferior quality.

I think it’s a fantastic choice: There are very few suitable people to use to acquire his lifetimes learnings and use those to design policy and process.

Even if he’s in the role only one year and can download what he knows, it’s priceless for FIFA and the game in general.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

How old are you?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Because what he says in 30 minutes would take others 3 years to learn and articulate, of which would be of inferior quality.

I think it’s a fantastic choice: There are very few suitable people to use to acquire his lifetimes learnings and use those to design policy and process.

Even if he’s in the role only one year and can download what he knows, it’s priceless for FIFA and the game in general.
I’m sceptical of that. He’s been a fabulous steward who had profound influence in his day, but younger and keener minds have been outfoxing him in the game for more than a decade. If I wanted to hire someone to take on a long term project, which this should be, then having the capability to actually fully implement my vision would be high on my list of requirements.

Conor

The amount of people that view football as some sort of statistics exercise these days is so strange, between the disrespect for Ole from some of our fans, and the tripe spouted by this guy, I don't understand what enjoyment you take from the game. Saying you need to separate emotions from football :houllier:. Go and watch American sports or something.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The amount of people that view football as some sort of statistics exercise these days is so strange, between the disrespect for Ole from some of our fans, and the tripe spouted by this guy, I don't understand what enjoyment you take from the game. Saying you need to separate emotions from football :houllier:. Go and watch American sports or something.
I think that's even more emotional. I imagine chess is quite unemotional though.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Wish him well in his new role - seems like he could do a lot of good. I just hope the corruption of FIFA is not going to get to him, and he ll get the support and resources he needs to take this on with all the best intentions.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Simplistic take IMO.

Pochettino's record would also be something like 6 years and ZERO league titles or CLs. But he's done an excellent job.
  • You're deliberately ignoring the cups Wenger won
  • Arsenal over the years simply didn't spend enough. The odd 50 million signing every now and then doesn't change that.
He should have left arsenal 5/6 years earlier. He got well past it after a point. However one has to put in context that he was up against SAF, often simply didn't spend enough and di win 3 league titles and 5 FA cups (?) Or whatever it was.

JazzG

Resident Arse.

He's the greatest manager the club has had, show some respect you twat.

I'd love to see some evidence of him saying he could have easily won 19 league titles but settled for finishing in the top 4. First time I've ever heard that and I tried to watch every single one of his interviews.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

Wow how long have you been supporting Arsenal? Calling Arsene a clown, jesus...

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

If Arsène fecking Wenger is a clown, what are you ? You're probably hoping we get Mourinho with Ryan Shawcross as his assistant to replace Emery. Clueless. :lol:

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Simplistic take IMO.

Pochettino's record would also be something like 6 years and ZERO league titles or CLs. But he's done an excellent job.
  • You're deliberately ignoring the cups Wenger won
  • Arsenal over the years simply didn't spend enough. The odd 50 million signing every now and then doesn't change that.
He should have left arsenal 5/6 years earlier. He got well past it after a point. However one has to put in context that he was up against SAF, often simply didn't spend enough and di win 3 league titles and 5 FA cups (?) Or whatever it was.
Fair points, I accept that and I agree with it.

My only point was that he should have left much earlier, Wenger cultists used to get into a fit of rage whenever I made a simple comment that he's well past it, he was turning Arsenal into a laughing stock.

I was banned from the Arsenal forum simply for stating that Wenger will leave the club outside of the top 4. Liverpool weren't even in the Champions League in 2013 and I said they'll win it before we do. I also said a smaller club will win the League before Wenger does ever again and they did (Leicester in 2016). I was banned for saying this stuff. Think about that. The closed-mindedness was insane.

It took a catastrophic collapse in the CL (a series of humiliating second round defeats topped off brilliantly by back-to-back 5-1 defeats by Bayern in the second round) and outside top 4 finish for people to even start asking questions. It didn't have to reach that point.

Just curious, you get a 2 point 24 hour warning for using that word?
I reported him yeah, he couldn't help himself. Reactionary & emotional, exactly what I expected.

United fans on here have more self-control than Arsenal fans on here I'm afraid to say except for the Sammsky guy who started this thread. I'm not sure how he lasted as long as he did on this great forum with rebuttals like "how old are you?" :lol: That's the problem with forums that lack quality control :D

Last edited: