Wenger to manage Bayern?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Wenger to have talks over Bayern Munchen job - BBC reports:

Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will talk to Bayern Munich next week over their vacant manager's job. Wenger, 70, told Bein Sports that he is planning to speak to Bayern's executive board chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge after the Bundesliga champions sacked Niko Kovac earlier this week. It comes after Rummenigge said Wenger was "not being considered as coach".

"We decided together we will talk next week because I'm in Doha until Sunday. This is the true story," said Wenger. "On Wednesday afternoon, Rummenigge called me. I could not answer and by politeness I called him back. He was in his car going to the game against Olympiakos. We talked for four to five minutes maximum and he told me they had assigned [Hans-Dieter] Flick to be the coach - he will manage the next two games. He [Rummenigge] asked me if I would be interested because they are looking for a coach. I told him I didn't have any thoughts about it - it needs some time to have a think about it."

Wenger spent 22 years in charge of Arsenal, winning the Premier League three times and the FA Cup on seven occasions before he left the Gunners at the end of the 2017-18 season.

After 10 games of the Bundesliga campaign, Bayern are fourth, four points behind leaders Borussia Monchengladbach, and lost 5-1 to Eintracht Frankfurt in Kovac's last match in charge.

However, they have a perfect record in the Champions League and their 2-0 win over Olympiakos in Flick's first game in temporary charge, was their fourth win in four group games.

At the start of October, Bayern, still managed by Kovac, trashed Tottenham 7-2 in an away Champions League game in London.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Genuinely like to see how he fares at a big club without the monkey on his back he had at Arsenal. No worries about 5 year plans and scraping to top four on a budget, just coaching and fighting for titles.

Abizzz

Would be a surprise if this happened but it would make sense in some ways. Bayern largely appreciate LVG for laying the foundation for the years that followed him and I think it's conceivable they think Wenger is good enough to win the Bundesliga and reach the round of 8 / semis in the cl with an eye to rebuilding the squad. They're rebuilding from a much better level than pre LVG but it does feel like they've been in need of a structure since Pep left.

Then again Rummenigge might just have wanted Wenger's opinion on some other coach and the connection was bad or something.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've always liked Wenger. I'd be very interested to observe Bayern lead by him. They're in a transition period and it would be a fantastic opportunity to retire on a high - hope it happens.

Last edited:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Didn't they turn him down for being too old?

Can't see how this would ever work. Don't want to be disrespectful to him by calling him a dinosaur so maybe old school would be better. This is the time for the progressive, modern type manager. I think the days of managers like LVG and Wenger are gone. They've had a good run at it. Now it's time to let the younger generation have a go.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Err, wat? Didn't we just yesterday publicly announce it won't be him?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interesting. Guess it will get done in international break.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If he gets it - I would want Bayern to win the CL.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Would be weird for Bayern to tell Bild he's not an option just to hire him half a week later. Did Wenger make these statements before or after the Bild story?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would be weird for Bayern to tell Bild he's not an option just to hire him half a week later. Did Wenger make these statements before or after the Bild story?
It comes after Rummenigge said Wenger was "not being considered as coach".

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I mean we all know that statement from Wenger became known after Bild ran their story. I'm wondering whether Wenger said that on live TV or if it was a recorded interview that may have been done before the Bild story.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I mean we all know that statement from Wenger became known after Bild ran their story. I'm wondering whether Wenger said that on live TV or if it was a recorded interview that may have been done before the Bild story.
Not sure, but doubt the BBC would have put this as their top story if that were the case..

Krauthammer

It's after the Bild Story.

The only reason Wenger is talking about this on televsion, is because Bayern made it public that Wenger called them and that he wasn't an option for being the next coach at Bayern. According to Wenger, this is not true. Bayern called him and not the other way around, and he wasn't even sure if he we would be interested in the job and therefore needed some time to think about it. So he is basically saying, you can't say "Nein" to me because i never said "Ja" to you guys in the first place.

I don't know why BBC is running this story. It's pretty clear that both Bayern and Wenger are done with each other before the negotiations even started.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
I hope he gets it and win CL. Love Wenger

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Reading a couple of Bayern forums where some think he was offered an interim role this season with Bayern looking to employ Erik ten Hag in the summer. Guess we'll know soon enough.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I want him to manage Bayern. Arsenal treated him very badly.

berbasloth4

id love wenger to manage us. he changed the premiership when he arrived. and his philosophy is ssme as ours

Blackwidow

From all I know Bayern wants a permanent solution with either EtH - what just would be a formality as he would like to get back to Bayern in summer - or when available Tuchel.

Wenger would have been an option for a temporary solution until then. But that Wenger does not want.

Varun

Staff
Bayern will shortly join Wenger's 'almost signed' list which is 2nd only to our RB shortlist as far as long lists go.