We're actually quite good

Erebus

I think it's more we can be quite good. But that's an improvement on most of the recent past.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yep, I think our upcoming games will paint a better picture of where we are.
Why cant the recent wins over City and Chelsea show where we are? Seems like people are always looking for the next slip up to cast judgement.

We are getting better. It's clear to see. Doesnt mean we are going to start pulverising teams every week. City are still better and will probably beat us.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We're actually not.

We're actually miles away from even being decent.

People creaming themselves over a 5-0 home win against 10 men Belgian no-hopers.
Sucks when people are positive. I hate that!

RedTiger

Half mast
Why cant the recent wins over City and Chelsea show where we are? Seems like people are always looking for the next slip up to cast judgement.

We are getting better. It's clear to see. Doesnt mean we are going to start pulverising teams every week. City are still better and will probably beat us.
Even if we beat city, armchair pundits will say it's because we sit back and counter... Ignoring the fact that if our tactics are that transparent then why don't the top 6 just counter act our tactics?

RUCK4444

Honestly we are only a couple of top signings away from challenging.

The key is consistency though, we would be up there this season had we not dropped points to teams we should be beating.
I agree. But most will still want Ole gone if we don’t finish 4th.

The progress is there to see.

Are we inconsistent? Yes

Are we still making progress from past seasons? Yes

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Another dawn or the real thing ?
There were signs that this team had potential when Fred and McTominay first started to get on the same wavelength and Martial came back into the team after his injury. A lot of our season has been fecked by injuries, it seems a cheap excuse and it is a bit because we should've planned our squad better, but for me this isn't another dawn but rather the natural progression of strengthening our weakest position and a few others finding their feet.

Going to Bruno from Lingard/Pereira is one of the single biggest upgrades we've had in years and it's helped link the attack and midfield so much better and as a result the team is looking better and more balanced. Players like McTominay returning from injury and signings like Ighalo helps us give us some quality depth and ability to rotate to avoid running any more players into the ground. We're still going to have some inconsistent results but the signs are there that we're actually building something.

matt10000

Tonight was the first time all five of Ole's signings started and the first time you can really say this is something like Ole’s team. Another two or three this summer and we have Ole’s team and can then fully judge. The signs are good 7 unbeaten, 18 for 1 against!

LJJT

I think Ole started coaching them in the winter break rather than just sat on his arse telling them to enjoy it??

Josep Dowling

Winning away at Chelsea last week?
Im enjoying the run don’t get me wrong but that Chelsea game they were missing Abraham, Hudson Idio, Kanté got injured, they are having issues with their goalkeeper and we still conceded a lot of good chances. The result was great but the win masked over a lot of issues at the back. We were a shambles defensively at times. Plus Maguire should have been off.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/global-club-soccer-rankings/

FiveThirtyEight’s expected goals plus model is really starting to appreciate our last couple of months. They now rank us above Juventus and the 11th best team in Europe. Get Pogba in here and a couple of top signings and there’s potential.

There is still massive scope for our attack to prove and we still need to tighten up in the back. We look a tad error prone and we’re not getting punished for it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We are

We're also quite average

And we're also quite shit

Consistency is key.

One thing i'll say - Bruno has made a massive difference.
I agree with everything you said.
Re: Bruno
A point to note is that I have seen many players come in and play well first few games. Darmian was fantastic. As was Miki (when he started getting game time). Baily, too. Di Maria was dynamite when he first arrived. Dan James...the list goes on.
After they stay at the club for a few months, they tend to start playing badly, and eventually get sold or frozen out of the first team.
So, I want to wait for the rest of the season before assessing Fernandes.
At present though, he is definitely the best player in our team.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
We’re alright yeah.
If we keep up our form towards the end of the season we could win some trophies, if not Solskjaer will rightfully be gone and it might be back to square one.
Biggest potential end to the season we’ve had post Fergie imo, in terms of importance.
I've felt that previously over the last 2/3 managerial changes but I'm not sure it would be this time (if Ole left).

Like to think more of Oles signings have worked out than previous managers post SAF.... Maguire, AWB, Fernandes... and another manager could use them rather than rip it up and start again.

We've also moved some players on (one or two people may argue we shouldn't have) but probably some players with the 'wrong' attitude and some of the older ones like Smalling, Young, Valencia, Sanchez (hopefully).

Outfield players tonight starting were aged .... 22/25/26/24 - 25/23/26 - 22/30/31. Ighalo and Mata stand out in terms of ages but don't mind a couple of 'older' players in a squad.

If played Martial left, Rashford upfront and Greenwood right (24/22/18) that's close to first XI and an outfield average age of 23.5 so several years to grow.

Also have Lindelof, De Gea, Williams, Pogba (if he stays) and maybe Henderson. Buy Sancho and that's a decent and young 16 (though need more squad depth).

Early days maybe but still think there's the base of a decent team/squad there if Ole stays or not.

Coxy

There’s promising signs - but then I’ve thought that at various times in the season.

Time will tell

ReddBalls

I agree with everything you said.
Re: Bruno
A point to note is that I have seen many players come in and play well first few games. Darmian was fantastic. As was Miki (when he started getting game time). Baily, too. Di Maria was dynamite when he first arrived. Dan James...the list goes on.
After they stay at the club for a few months, they tend to start playing badly, and eventually get sold or frozen out of the first team.
So, I want to wait for the rest of the season before assessing Fernandes.

At present though, he is definitely the best player in our team.
Fair enough, but none of those players were even close to having the same kind of immediate impact.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We're not bad but we'll still struggle to score properly until Rashford comes back.
Rashford Martial Greenwood
Bruno
Fred McTominay/Matic
Shaw Maguire Bailly AWB
Ddg
Is a very good starting 11 IMO. Still some squad depth issues and Greenwood to develop (or just get Sancho and use Greenwood normally as depth til hes ready), but looking very healthy. All of Oles transfers have bbeen exactly what we needed.

GazTheLegend

Our first eleven could give anyone on the -planet- a hard game.

It's the squad depth that was a concern at the start of the season and still is now. However, Fred's miraculous improvement means that we now have options in midfield, the emergence of WIlliams and Greenwood mean we have options at full back and up top we are still light by one I reckon. But I maintain as the only side to take points off Liverpool this entire season that we really, really aren't that far away.

Hopefully continue to prove that against Everton and City next week!

Deery

Dreary
We have shown we are a decent team at times this season.
With the addition of Fernandes and Ighalo we are looking much better.
With a fully fit and firing squad we could be a match for any team in the world.
Do we have what it takes to challenge for the title who knows but at least we are getting better and that’s what matters at the minute.

Crustanoid

But, but....wah wah Ole is rubbish...wah wah Brugge 10 men... wah wah Poch / Allegri... wah wah we're the worst we've been in the 28 years since football started... wah wah wah Ole Out...

ExoduS

Our defense and including how our midfield plays defense needs improvements. Not because of this game, but against Watford we could have easily conceded twice. Bruno is definitely a significant addition and I like him as a player. Guy just plays, doesn't talk much or draw attention. Does his job so well and I hope trajectory is a positive one.

ValenciaRocks

We're actually not.

We're actually miles away from even being decent.

People creaming themselves over a 5-0 home win against 10 men Belgian no-hopers.
yeah the same no hopers that drew to Real Madrid in Madrid. Also lost narrowly to PSG...

We played probably our best game of the season. Just enjoy it for crying out loud...