We're comfortably the third best team in the league

meamth

Complain all you want, we're here now at 3rd.

I don't care lowest points in history, luck or whatever shyte you think about this side, I'm sticking behind them and can't wait for next season.

Whether we win or lose this Sunday we'll have chance in Europa. Get some positivity on here and we go again lads.

Bondi77

The four contenders play each other on the weekend and there is a possibility we play Wolves in a semi in Europa so the jury is still out.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
We are 3rd (on GD). The table tells the truth after 38 games.
If we had Bruno from the start we would havr another few points on the board.

That said with Chelsea's new signings it's not clear cut going into next season.

Hopefully we add some more quality.

Member 113277

If we had Bruno from the start we would havr another few points on the board.

That said with Chelsea's new signings it's not clear cut going into next season.

Hopefully we add some more quality.
Good points. Chelsea will be competitive next year and we will have to perform consistently well to aim for 3rd or higher. I'll be interested to see what City do - if they can tighten their defence, they will become a nightmare again or they could slip further. Liverpool are a very good team, but IMO not as good as a City firing on all cylinders and not the deepest squad. Interesting days ahead.

Uniquim

Love that we getting more goals all around!
These are great numbers. Especially keeping in mind that

Marcus Rashford was injured for about 6 weeks.
Anthony Martial was injured for about 2 months.
Bruno Fernandes only joined at the end of January.
and Mason Greenwood just made the grades, and will keep improving.

Looking forward to next season. :drool:

SteveW

These are great numbers. Especially keeping in mind that

Marcus Rashford was injured for about 6 weeks.
Anthony Martial was injured for about 2 months.
Bruno Fernandes only joined at the end of January.
and Mason Greenwood just made the grades, and will keep improving.

Looking forward to next season. :drool:
Bruno's numbers are incredible really. He got 33 last season for Sporting and has 25 this season between both clubs. 20 goal plus midfielders are incredibly rare.

Lampard used to scrape around the 20 mark most seasons, Gerrard did it a couple of times, Scholes maybe once (wasn't on pens) Can't think of any others off the top if my head.

Jeffthered

This forum/thread highlights how our aspirations as a club have changed.

'Comfortably the third best'

When did such a statement (which is highly debatable) become a source of such pride?

Foritfied

Ouch.

I'm hoping that this is a result of short pre-season, and nothing more. But on that evidence I worry we're not even top 4.

We struggled to create one clear cut chance; our goal came from a bad clearance from them. The tactics on the day seemed to be:
  1. Get the ball to player 25 yards out
  2. Shoot
Not to mention that AWB doesn't fix any of those defensive issues. They were in time and time again.

Is it new recruits we need? More conditioning? Are tactics to blame?

Banana Republic

No chance of top 4.
We’ll be lucky to get in the top 6.

All the clamour for us to sign more players, when some of our worst players are supposed to be our best, who won’t be the ones to make way for anyone coming in.

Rashford - rubbish. Needs dropping.
Pogba - being a total liability outweighs his occasional flashes of brilliance, by 5 to 1

sunama

Baghdad Bob
There's good squad depth I think is another factor, players like Mata, Matic are great to bring on for experience. (in big games this matters)
This is the exact opposite of reality.

Our first XI is pretty decent. The problem occurs when we have to substitute in players from the bench - our bench players are terrible.
Once the 2nd string of players play, we are absolutely crap and have major difficulty scoring goals.
Players like Mata, Lingard, Perreira, James - absolutely not good enough to play in the EPL and when they are sold, I doubt any EPL club will want them.

Ole seems to agree, which is why we bought DVDB (a player who can be rotated when our first team need rest). And we are also buying a new LB, to rotate with Shaw, when he is not fit.
And Matic: he is in the first XI - he is not a bench warmer as you have suggested.

Member 113277

Firstly, let's put things into context - Palace got the drop on us yesterday and deserved to win.

It was our first game, without a proper pre-season and what I saw was a disorganised team pushed onto the back foot and punished by an organised team with some very good players. They need to get their act together very quickly.

Back to the topic 'comfortably third' - as I said on the the third much earlier, no we are not. The top 4 will be highly competitive this season and the results after 38 games will tell the truth, as they did last season. We earned 3rd by a very good run mid season, but now everything is back to zero and it's going to be a very tough season.

Remember, it's still a rebuilding time and anyone who thinks we must get a higher place than last season may be disappointed. What we need to see at the end is (a) a deeper squad, (b) more consistency and (c) more goals scored v the same conceded as last season. Where that takes us will be a function of what the others do.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
This is the exact opposite of reality.

Our first XI is pretty decent. The problem occurs when we have to substitute in players from the bench - our bench players are terrible.
Once the 2nd string of players play, we are absolutely crap and have major difficulty scoring goals.
Players like Mata, Lingard, Perreira, James - absolutely not good enough to play in the EPL and when they are sold, I doubt any EPL club will want them.

Ole seems to agree, which is why we bought DVDB (a player who can be rotated when our first team need rest). And we are also buying a new LB, to rotate with Shaw, when he is not fit.
And Matic: he is in the first XI - he is not a bench warmer as you have suggested.
The post was June 25th, the transfer window has happened since, United aren't even a top 5 team currently.

Shark

@NotShark
As someone who made that horrendous thread on Dan James, I feel some sympathy

El Jefe

We had the third best squad last season. Its probably the 5th best now.

The real issue is we have a bottom 3 manager (if that) and possibly the worst CEO from a footballing standpoint in the PL.