Music West Coast vs East Coast hiphop

Brocky

I have to say that I can't decide.

I started back in the first generation- listening to a lot of mixtapes and break mixes - which obviously was almost entirely East coast and most of which were nameless to me but I was amazed by this new thing called Hip-Hop. Run DMC, Public Enemy & Salt n Pepa (none of which are on the OP list, disappointingly) were the only real 'mainstream' stuff that an English kid from Salford could really get hold of back then. Occasionally we would get hold of some Ice-T, Eric B & Rakim, Stetsasonic, LL Cool J or DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince (On a side-note, Will Smith is hugely under-rated for his rap skills, imo). Then NWA walked up to the game from the West coast and kicked the doors right off the muhfugga and not much else mattered to me for a couple of years. West coast got a foothold and the whole East v West thing emerged. Dre, Cube, Pharcyde, A Tribe Called Quest, House of Pain, Naughty By Nature, De La Soul, Ice-T, MC Lyte, Cypress Hill, Geto Boys, Arrested Development, Jedi Mind Tricks, Xzibit were all a huge part of those years for me.

As I matured, I found myself as a mid-late teenager, right in the midst of the West coast golden age of Easy, Dre, Cube, Snoop, Pac, Warren G (also should've got a mention, imo), Nate Dogg, Spice 1, MC Eiht, et al. East occasionally got a look-in - I liked Busta Rhymes, Ma$e and never lost my love for Eric B & Rakim, Naughty By Nature, Onyx and DMX, but it was primarily West coast for me throughout the heights of the West v East saga and beyond. In fact, it was only after Biggie Died that I started to appreciate his stuff. It just shows how polarised that era had people. I also never really got a feel for Wu-Tang or Nas, either. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate their skill as MCs and I like a couple of tracks, but I just never got into them like I did with the West coast stuff. I guess that really makes me lean slightly in favour of West in my later years but overall I am pretty split.

As for anything post 2003 - aside from Dre, Cube, Snoop, Missy, Timbaland, Eminem and maybe a bit of Jay-Z and 50 Cent, I think it's all shit.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No doubt, man. I was just about to edit my comment and add him. :lol:

I wonder where do Detroit rappers like Eminem and Royce Da 5'9 go in. In some ways, they are more affiliated to the West, but they've mostly had their own style or been sonically and lyrically closer to the East, at least that's how I see it.
Can you count Bone Thugs as West Coast coming from Cleveland and they always said they had no involvement in east coast v West Coast.

2pac maybe even though he is from New York he went after a lot of New Yorks artists when he sold out
They’re Midwest

Apokalips

East coast all day. I am shocked to hear someone straight up not rate Nas, Big or Wu... Wow!

Lay

I really enjoy the laid back, smooth, g funk style the west have produced. But my catalog has more east coast artists. I like to venture to the west when I get burnt out from the grimy, cold east coast rappers.

Dante

Average bang
I prefer the g-funk sound to the boom bap sound. Not by much, but a slight preference is there.

Aside from that, everything else is down to the individual artist. For instance, I think Wu Tang and Snoop are both way better than 2Pac and Biggie.

Living in the UK, I'm too far removed from the politics of the genre to give a shit about East/West coast. It's an interesting bit of context for diss tracks, but I don't pay it any attention beyond that.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm biased so I won't answer

But this question is usually focused on the golden era of hip-hop which

1. Does a disservice to the South and Midwest and international arenas of hip-hop

2. Does a disservice to the music that came a few years after Big and Pac died, and onwards

3. When you say West Coast, who gets included in the conversation outside of Pac/NWA? I rarely hear the likes of Too Short or E-40 mentioned, although both are certified Bay legends. Cypress Hill? Mac Dre?

Ignoring all of that, it is a fun question. East from an artistic POV, West from who rocked the airwaves at the time.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I don't know much about rap and hiphop history but what i do know is Biggie was the King. His flow and style was unrivalled.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Great stuff comes from all over but for styles, lyrics, creativity more than a fair share of the best hip hop came out of - and still comes out of - New York. Whether underground, overground, golden era or whenever. It seems to be taken more serious as an art form there.

adexkola

Supports
Great stuff comes from all over but for styles, lyrics, creativity more than a fair share of the best hip hop came out of - and still comes out of - New York. Whether underground, overground, golden era or whenever. It seems to be taken more serious as an art form there.
I would say that overground NY stuff, bar a few exceptions, was derivative of stuff elsewhere

rotherham_red

Grew up on the West Coast stuff, but as I grew older, I found that nothing ever came close to that classic East Coast boom bap sound a la Primo, Large Professor, et al

Tarrou

I find those “and its not even close” replies annoying but East Coast, and its not even close

adexkola

Supports
East tops it in pure lyricists (talking about those who get in a "Top 5/10/20" list), no doubt. But I love the West coast as well.

Not a fan of the South, though, even if Wayne and Andre 3000 are GOATed. I feel like the whole "mumble rap" shit started when their side became the major sound hub.
That happened a few years after the South took over, and that was a nationwide phenomenon. All coasts were on that bullshit. They just did it better in Atlanta.

But even with that you have Geto Boys, UGK, Outkast, Goodie Mob, 8Ball & MJG, Dungeon Family, Three 6 Mafia, Juvenile... They represented the South well in terms of having an artistic element and repping a region that was overlooked in the East Coast/West Coast rivalry. And let's be honest... New York was on some snobbish shit.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Which coast are Vanilla Ice and Kriss Kross from?

And a serious question, are Beastie Boys and Run DMC not considered easy coast or are they just not rated by serious rap fans?

adexkola

Supports
Which coast are Vanilla Ice and Kriss Kross from?

And a serious question, are Beastie Boys and Run DMC not considered easy coast or are they just not rated by serious rap fans?
Vanilla Ice is from Dallas. There's an excellent article on him that came out recently: https://www.theringer.com/music/202...extreme-ice-ice-baby-history-30th-anniversary

Kriss Kross were from ATL I think? And I know you jest, but hip-hop isn't all about alleys and shootouts... It started in a party basement in the Bronx so yes, the Vanilla Ices are part of the culture.

Beastie Boys and Run DMC are integral blocks of the East Coast Golden Age. I gained a new appreciation for the Beatles after listening to Paul's Boutique...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Vanilla Ice is from Dallas. There's an excellent article on him that came out recently: https://www.theringer.com/music/202...extreme-ice-ice-baby-history-30th-anniversary

Kriss Kross were from ATL I think? And I know you jest, but hip-hop isn't all about alleys and shootouts... It started in a party basement in the Bronx so yes, the Vanilla Ices are part of the culture.

Beastie Boys and Run DMC are integral blocks of the East Coast Golden Age. I gained a new appreciation for the Beatles after listening to Paul's Boutique...
The first album I ever bought was Licenced to Ill (on cassette of course) back when the Beastie Boys were making the national news in the UK for encouraging kids to steal BMW signs.

Just always seems in these "east coast v west coast" debates they generally don't get brought up.

lsd

The Oracle
That happened a few years after the South took over, and that was a nationwide phenomenon. All coasts were on that bullshit. They just did it better in Atlanta.

But even with that you have Geto Boys, UGK, Outkast, Goodie Mob, 8Ball & MJG, Dungeon Family, Three 6 Mafia, Juvenile... They represented the South well in terms of having an artistic element and repping a region that was overlooked in the East Coast/West Coast rivalry. And let's be honest... New York was on some snobbish shit.

The south has always been and is garbage. Its on a par with British rap

DoomSlayer

The south has always been and is garbage. Its on a par with British rap
I kind of agree about the South, but that's way too disrespectful to the UK scene. :lol:

Maybe back in the day it wasn't the best, but they still had their unique sound. I'd say currently, there are quite a few more proper MCs and lyricists, Dave and Ocean Wisdom are my personal favourites in that sense.

lsd

The Oracle
I kind of agree about the South, but that's way too disrespectful to the UK scene. :lol:

Maybe back in the day it wasn't the best, but they still had their unique sound. I'd say currently, there are quite a few more proper MCs and lyricists, Dave and Ocean Wisdom are my personal favourites in that sense.

Yeah I agree it is a lot better but I'm talking 90s. Obviously as far as the South is concerned Outkast were amazing but most of the others were not.

They sold loads because they bought most of the album's themselves. The music was boring to me and I just never felt they were good rappers.

People used to say Lil Wayne was the best rapper alive when he could barely speak let alone rap

DoomSlayer

Yeah I agree it is a lot better but I'm talking 90s. Obviously as far as the South is concerned Outkast were amazing but most of the others were not.

They sold loads because they bought most of the album's themselves. The music was boring to me and I just never felt they were good rappers.

People used to say Lil Wayne was the best rapper alive when he could barely speak let alone rap
I used to be a Wayne hater as well, but his status in the game is undeniable, his skill as well. I feel like Cash Money focused too much on the commercial aspect of his music, which wasn't bad for them at all, as it made them shitloads of money. But his image and lyrical abilities suffered because of that.

Lay

I used to think Wayne was shit until I started to listen to him more. He’s not a favourite of mine but he’s very good and had a fantastic run

Spoony

The People's President
Always preferred East Coast but then again I loved Ice Cube and Dre's sampling of Atomic Dog.

adexkola

Supports

Wayne came up in the 2000s. What artists from the South were shit in the 90s?

King Eric 7

West Coast for me. That's what I grew up on and that's the sound I preferred at the time.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have to make a confession, I don't really like Tupac's work.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I was a huge Tupac fan growing up. I can still recite Hit 'em up by heart. West side till I die :wenger:

I like Biggie too though. Kick in the do' wavin the 44.

God Im such a dweeb.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Wayne came up in the 2000s. What artists from the South were shit in the 90s?

All of them bar Andre, Scarface sounded good because he was next to Willie D and Bushwick but he was nothing special as we found out on the Album Willie D left and was it Big Mike joined and was as good of not better than him.

adexkola

Supports
All of them bar Andre, Scarface sounded good because he was next to Willie D and Bushwick but he was nothing special as we found out on the Album Willie D left and was it Big Mike joined and was as good of not better than him.
You have to be wumming so fair enough

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Where does Big Pun fall? He was awesome.
In full flow as good as it gets. Shame we were deprived of a full career there, but Capital Punishment is a classic that stands the test of time. My 5 year old daughter already knows Dead in the middle of Little Italy...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
In full flow as good as it gets. Shame we were deprived of a full career there, but Capital Punishment is a classic that stands the test of time. My 5 year old daughter already knows Dead in the middle of Little Italy...
Ah yes, Capital Punishment, amazing album.

OleBoiii

In my n00b opinion: west coast has the best beats, but east coast has the best lyrics and maybe better rappers.

I'll take a great beat and decent rapping over a decent beat and great rapping.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
In my n00b opinion: west coast has the best beats, but east coast has the best lyrics and maybe better rappers.

I'll take a great beat and decent rapping over a decent beat and great rapping.
Yeah West Coast had amazing beats, specifically G Funk style.

But East Coast has a couple of iconic ones too like Shook Ones, CREAM, NY State of Mind, and funnily enough one of the most iconic of them all is from a song by an unknown rapper Miilkbone ("Keep it real").

Last edited: