Kick-off
Mon, 2 January 2017 @ 5:15pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    VS

Date - Monday, January 02 2017
    Kickoff Time - 1715 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Olympic Stadium, London

League standings and form guide

6. Manchester United : WWWWW

13. West Ham : DWWWL

Previous Meetings

Manchester United 1 : 1 West Ham

West Ham 3 : 2 Manchester United

Manchester United 0 : 0 West Ham

West Ham 1 : 1 Manchester United

Manchester United 2 : 1 West Ham

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins - 56
    West Ham wins - 38
    Draws - 27

Pre-Match Pressers

José Mourinho

N/A

Slaven Bilić

N/A

Team News

Manchester United

Eric Bailly unavailable (AFCON). Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick doubtful.

West Ham

Gökhan Töre, Arthur Masuaku, Álvaro Arbeloa, Diafra Sakho, Simone Zaza, Reece Oxford, Mark Noble and Jamie Collins ruled out. Sam Byram doubtful.

Know the opposition

West Ham United Football Club (nicknamed The Irons, The Hammers, and The Academy of Football) are a professional football club based in Upton Park, East London; and were founded in 1895 by foreman and local league referee Dave Taylor and owner Arnold Hills as Thames Ironworks - a strictly amateur football club. They turned professional in 1898 upon entering the Southern League Second Division, and were promoted to the First Division at the first attempt. Following growing disputes over the running and financing of the club in June 1900 Thames Ironworks F.C. was disbanded, then almost immediately relaunched on 5 July 1900 as West Ham United F.C.

West Ham's most successful period started with the appointment of Ron Greenwood in 1961, leading to FA Cup, League Cup and Cup Winners' Cup titles - with youth team graduates Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters at the forefront. Their nickname 'The Academy of Football' pays homage to the success of the club in coaching future greats - which includes that trio of World Cup winners, Trevor Brooking, Paul Ince, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard and Michael Carrick. West Ham's most prominent rivalries involve local clubs Millwall, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur; and they have been playing their home games at The Boleyn Ground (often referred to as Upton Park) since 1904, with a plan to move into the Olympic Stadium by the start of the 2016/ 2017 League season.

Referee

Mike Dean.​

Gerald G

The team for this match is difficult to predict. Will Ibra start again? Hopefully Carrick is well enough to play judging by what Jose said, I think he will be.

De Gea
    Valencia--Jones--Rojo--Darmian
    Herrera--Carrick--Pogba
    Mkhitaryan--Ibrahimovic--Martial​

I could be way off though. Wouldn't be surprised to see Rashford and/or Lingard start. Maybe Rashford in for Ibrahimvoic to freshen it up, but he's been playing really well.

AndyJ1985

Another very winnable match. Let's make it 6 in a row and keep the confidence flowing.

Just get Carrick back in the team to replace Fellaini.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    De gea
    Valencia Jones Rojo Blind
    Carrick
    Herrera Pogba
    Mkhitaryan Ibrahimovic Martial
    Relatively easy side to predict apart from left back since Blind had a poor game. When Bailly is back I can see rojo going there with Jones and Bailly being in the middle as the main guys unless Shaw turns it around.
    Tough game though. A win would be huge but my guess is we'll draw which would still be fine. This not being at upton park makes me more optimistic to be fair, but still. A win would be huge.

Gerald G

De gea
    Valencia Jones Rojo Blind
    Carrick
    Herrera Pogba
    Mkhitaryan Ibrahimovic Martial
    Relatively easy side to predict apart from left back since Blind had a poor game. When Bailly is back I can see rojo going there with Jones and Bailly being in the middle as the main guys unless Shaw turns it around.
    Tough game though. A win would be huge but my guess is we'll draw which would still be fine. This not being at upton park makes me more optimistic to be fair, but still. A win would be huge.
    I don't think a draw is fine at all. We're chasing now and because we lost so many points earlier in the season, we can't really drop these points.

Irrational.

I want to win this game more than any of our previous five. For the sheer fact that WH denied us fourth last season and their fans attacking the team bus.

I hope we absolutely trounce the cockney cnuts.

Alabaster Codify7

DDG
    Valencia, Jones, Rojo, Blind
    Carrick, Pogba, Herrera
    Mkhitaryan, Martial
    Zlatan

West Ham 1 - 3 Man United
    Zlatan, Martial, Mkhitaryan

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
    Staff
    I would enjoy it if we were to win this match.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    Another very winnable match. Let's make it 6 in a row and keep the confidence flowing.

Just get Carrick back in the team to replace Fellaini.
    Its not. Away from home against West Ham will be tough.

More than likely a draw.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Feeling pretty confident about this one. West Ham's record at the Olympic Stadium isn't great.

wr8_utd

:'(
    Somehow just can't see us winning this. It might not be Upton Park but this has never been an easy game for us. Going for a 1-1

Moiraine

Here comes the most important match of the season.

Positives:
    Venue is not upton park.
    West Ham is playing sh!t at their new home.
    Late Goals give United a boost

Negatives:
    2 games in 2 games, definite fatigue.
    Travel to infamous part of london
    Uncertainty over Carrick.

If we somehow win this, it is definitely Top 4 finish for United. It will be 39 points after 20 games and there would be 54 points remaining. I could see us getting at least 40 out of them. That makes it 79 in total at the end of the season and who knows if the form continues, we might end up in the region of 84-85 point finish.

Irrational.

One more thing - I think we'll win this comfortably if we don't keep giving away stupid fouls in and around our area.

Expect all the usual diving by Payet and co to engineer dangerous set piece situations.

God I hate West Ham.

SirAF

Ageist
    Somehow just can't see us winning this. It might not be Upton Park but this has never been an easy game for us. Going for a 1-1
    I'm dreading this match too, West Ham away is always a shitehouse of a match. The team is looking sharp though!

SirAF

Ageist
    One more thing - I think we'll win this comfortably if we don't keep giving away stupid fouls in and around our area.

Expect all the usual diving by Payet and co to engineer dangerous set piece situations.

God I hate West Ham.
    The chubby faced cnut always anways the crap out of me :mad:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
    I think this is a very tough game. It's great we were able to get the win today without Carrick, having him (hopefully) fit could be a massive help.

Truedevil

You just know no matter how shit they've been the cnuts will raise their game against us. It will be very tough.

cyberman

Nice to see the doom and gloom continue in these threads heading into 2017

Moiraine

Go for the strongest 11, there will be a chance to rest players against Reading, and we have the semis against Hull to think about this month.
    I am hoping for a back 4 of

Valencia ------ Jones ----- Bailly --------- Rojo

Mikhi/Martial -- Herrera -- Mata -- Pogba -- Lingard
    -----------------------Ibrahimovic-----------------

I think one of Mikhi/Martial will start and one will be on the bench. My bet is Blind, Rashford and Mikhi/Martial to come on as sub.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
    Eric Bailly will miss Monday's game v West Ham. He joins Ivory Coast on 2 January for their Africa Cup of Nations preparations.

from manutd twitter

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Go for the strongest 11, there will be a chance to rest players against Reading, and we have the semis against Hull to think about this month.
    Yeah, I'd keep the front 6 the same with Carrick in for Fellaini and Rojones at the back.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    I'm also strangely optimistic about this one (more than I was the home games against Sunderland and Boro)

Upton Park and the atmosphere was what made West Ham away a tough game at times, this is going to be more like a trip to the Emirates or Wembley though (nice big pitch, little in the way of hospitable atmosphere etc etc)

Carrick needs to come back and Martial has an excellent goal return against them so must start also

Santoryo

ripping the reward
    Ok this has gotten a bit annoying with the gloom and pessimism especially in the run we're currently in.

We've had the same reactions over the past 5 games or so with people being overly pessimistic even against weak teams. At first it was a bit understandable due to our bizarre draws streak but after going on a run like we have, optimism should be shown in these type of threads and bad results such as draws should be surprises, not expected outcomes.

West Ham been awful this season home or away. The picked up couple of good results then still got another bad result. We should well be expected to beat this WH team.

The same was said against WB, Sunderland etc.

Anyways, I'm going for a 1-3 victory.

Alabaster Codify7

Ok this has gotten a bit annoying with the gloom and pessimism especially in the run we're currently in.

We've had the same reactions over the past 5 games or so with people being overly pessimistic even against weak teams. At first it was a bit understandable due to our bizarre draws streak but after going on a run like we have, optimism should be shown in these type of threads and bad results such as draws should be surprises, not expected outcomes.

West Ham been awful this season home or away. The picked up couple of good results then still got another bad result. We should well be expected to beat this WH team.

The same was said against WB, Sunderland etc.

Anyways, I'm going for a 1-3 victory.

Same here, man.
    It is a tough away game, but I'm pretty upbeat about it. Their defence is there for the taking and we create shedloads of chances per game....we just need to take 2-3 and we're gold. I don't think we'll keep a clean sheet and we will concede lots of chances I reckon, but we will win.

Revan

Assumptionman
    We need to win again. Lets fecking do a Chelsea and win a lot of matches in a row.

I think it is a winnable match. Carrick, Rojo and Jones should start instead of Fellaini, Smalling and Bailly (AFCON) and we should win.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
    Noble injured, their entire first XI playing today and a demoralizing loss against Leicester.

Hoping for a win and a solid payback for last year.

SirAF

Ageist
    We need to win again. Lets fecking do a Chelsea and win a lot of matches in a row.

I think it is a winnable match. Carrick, Rojo and Jones should start instead of Fellaini, Smalling and Bailly (AFCON) and we should win.
    Yup. The most important thing will be not to concede silly FKs.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
    Time Travel
    Hoping for a very rotated squad to avoid unnecessary injuries. If we had an easy outing today, we could have afforded to rest more players after 60 mins and went into this one fresh. I'd even consider playing Schneiderlin if he is available.

Rashford
    Lingard Mata Mkhitaryan
    Carrick Schneiderlin
    Darmian Rojo Jones Valencia
    deGea

3KDré

Rojones + Shaw in if fit. Carrick for Fella, Rashford for Ibra.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
    Hoping for a very rotated squad to avoid unnecessary injuries. If we had an easy outing today, we could have afforded to rest more players after 60 mins and went into this one fresh. I'd even consider playing Schneiderlin if he is available.

Rashford
    Lingard Mata Mkhitaryan
    Carrick Schneiderlin
    Darmian Rojo Jones Valencia
    deGea
    There's not a chance of that. We need points.

cyberman

Pogba said he felt tired during the game today so that could be a worry.
    We should be buzzing and could take that momentum for one last push. Give our overplayed stars a fortnight off until Liverpool and trust Rashford etc to take care of Reading and Hull.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 603 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw