Kick-off
Sun, 19 September 2021 @ 2:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Nick7

What do people complaining about McFred expect? We don’t have any better midfield options than them. Pogba is pretty crap there and leaves his partner completely alone the majority of the time, VDB hasn’t shown a thing, Matic is too slow. What do we have that is better than Fred and McTominay?

stu_1992

Obviously disappointing to see a new signing like Sancho drop to the bench but you can't really argue with it. He clearly needs more time to get up to speed and Greenwood has played so well that he deserves to be there anyway.

McTominay back in is huge, one of best options there and makes Fred better too so that should be a big plus. Other than that, the team picks itself right now.

Ollie Derbyshire

Most balanced line up we have, happy with that, Sancho will get plenty of chances to show what he can do but you can’t drop Pogba or Greenwood at the minute.

Ranchero

Hope we have a good performance but it is really shocking that people are happy with a midfield of McFred.

Shows how badly we need to address our options next transfer window
    Ole talked a lot about attacking football but actually he remains pragmatic.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
    Was hoping we didn’t need McFred with Varane’s signing but here we are.
    What would you expect? Pogba in the pivot? We tried that against Wolves and it failed miserably.

DeGea

I am supportive of Ole but he is an idiot for continuing to pick Fred ahead of VdB. Fred is so poor that VdB can’t possibly be worse. Just cannot possibly be worse. How bad does VdB need to be in training to not get picked ahead of Fred!?

What has Ole got to lose by giving VdB a run of 5-10 games next to McSauce? I just cannot understand it which suggests it might be something personal. Either that or Ole has a stubborn streak which is not good and might come back and bite him in the backside.

Journalists should ask this Fred/VdB question directly. Very bizarre.

lsd

The Oracle
    What do people complaining about McFred expect? We don’t have any better midfield options than them. Pogba is pretty crap there and leaves his partner completely alone the majority of the time, VDB hasn’t shown a thing, Matic is too slow. What do we have that is better than Fred and McTominay?

The fact we don't have any better options is well worth the complaint don't you think?

Banana Republic

100% correct.
    Against any worthwhile opponents, any combinations other than McFred are at risk of being swamped and overrun.
    When that happens you get zero help from Bruno and the attacking players.

Nick7

I am supportive of Ole but he is an idiot for continuing to pick Fred ahead of VdB. Fred is so poor that VdB can’t possibly be worse. Just cannot possibly be worse. How bad does VdB need to be in training to not get picked ahead of Fred!?

What has Ole got to lose by giving VdB a run of 5-10 games next to McSauce? I just cannot understand it which suggests it might be something personal. Either that or Ole has a stubborn streak which is not good and might come back and bite him in the backside.

When has VDB been better than Fred for us? Struggling to think of a single time.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    Bench looks weak with Cavani and Rashford both out. Team basically picked itself with McT back fit.
    We have a £70 million attacker and a £40 million midfielder on the bench! That should be more than enough!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

The one thing the McFred partnership has in abundance is energy in the midfield area, which should prove useful against Souchek and Rice.

snk123

Ronaldo is going to score a couple of headers from Pogba crosses today. Quote me on this after the game.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    What would you expect? Pogba in the pivot? We tried that against Wolves and it failed miserably.
    Pogba was good in the 2nd half of that game & I wouldn’t mind seeing him & McTominay play a few games together. McFred is so pragmatic & with Varane at the back, I wish Ole had a bit of courage to try something different. But he has his favourites & will stick with them.

PSV

Arguably our strongest team possible today bar an in-form Sancho. Will be interesting to see where we stand.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
    I expect a frustrating match today due to West Ham sitting back just like they did last time we played them.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    It'll probably be something like this:

DDG

AWB Varane Maguire Shaw

Fred Mctominay

Greenwood Bruno Pogba

Ronaldo
    Should be enough to see off West Ham, hopefully.

Nick7

The fact we don't have any better options is well worth the complaint don't you think?
    Yes, absolutely. I didn’t mean your post specifically as I agree with it. I’m talking about people moaning that we’re playing them. We can’t sign anyone, the window is over. They’re our best midfield pairing and yet you still have people saying they shouldn’t be playing. If they don’t play, who would we play? A midfield two of Matic and VDB? That’d be a disaster. Even Pogba, who I think is a much better player than both of them makes our team worse when he plays there.

Red00012

No one will ever break the McFred partnership. It was bad enough last season but seeing the likes of Sancho on the bench so these 2 can play is just laughable.
    Sancho has done nothing to warrant him starting today .
    Playing McFred allows Pogba to be further forward and influence the game a lot more.

edgecutter

Can understand playing AWB, but I would have liked dalot to get a run to make sure he is ready for the important champions league games that AWB is suspended for.

Pogba was good in the 2nd half of that game & I wouldn’t mind seeing him & McTominay play a few games together. McFred is so pragmatic & with Varane at the back, I wish Ole had a bit of courage to try something different. But he has his favourites & will stick with them.
    Meh, West Ham away is one of the hardest games in the league, they were a win away from a CL spot last season. Pragmatic approach to this fixture is welcome.

lex talionis

I don’t mind the Mc, but it’s the Fred that concerns me. Where is the accountability?

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri

From someone who doesn't have much faith in Ole, I totally understand why he selects Fred ahead of Donny. Donny hasn't shown that he's adapted to a non-Ajax pass and move game, which is nowhere near the style we play. Fred is a workhorse, albeit extremely limited, and West Ham's midfield is stronger than ours. So, needs must. Keep in mind that the criticism of Ole from all corners since Young Boys has been enormous and he's going with those he trusts.

Idxomer

I expect a frustrating match today due to West Ham sitting back just like they did last time we played them.
    They were all over us the away game last season but our lineup and formation were a bit shit.

vanrooney

i really have to quit redcafe. the senseless bashing of our players even before a ball is kicked is totally unacceptable. fred was one of the best players on thuesday, why he and mct who also did well imo last season get criticized is not clear. some on here are so negative they will even mock the players after a clear 3-0 win

AnotherLondonManc

I’m happy to see Mctominay back but honestly have no idea how this works out long term if Pogba stays and we sign a new CDM. Pogba to fight it out for the left wing position with the multiple other options we have?
    I think the goal would be to sign a DM that can protect the back line on their own and allow us to play Pogba and Bruno in midfield as a 4-3-3.

That then clears up the position of LW with 'only' Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Ronaldo fighting it out for that spot

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw