Westerns

Scrumpet

There are no words
Welcome to the next chapter in my fight against my own ignorance of all things film.

I don't think I've ever seen a proper Western before. Shameful, I know, so how should I go about rectifying this? Should I jump straight in and watch what people regard as the classics? Or are there particular ones I should see first to ease me in?

Guide me, Entertainmentards.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I havent seen a lot of the classics except for The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Its amazing

More recently True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma are both excellent. As is Unforgiven

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Just watch Once Upon A Time In The West. It's my favourite Leone. I always fall asleep during The Good, The Bad......zzzzzz for some reason.

Unforgiven is a must watch.

High Plains Drifter/The Outlaw Josey Wales are my favourite Eastwood westerns aside from that.

If you're looking for something more recent I'd recommend Tombstone, 3:10 to Yuma, Open Range and (does this count?) .. Aussie Western 'The Proposition'.

Also, The Assassination of Jesse James...... was a beautiful movie (but don't go in expecting balls out action like the ones listed above).

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Rio Bravo

2 of my favs from when I was younger, watching them with my dad.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Outlaw Josey Wales, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and Once Upon a Time in the West are all fantastic. Claudia Cardinale...

I always liked Tombstone, True Grit is good, and I can't think of any more off the top of my head that I've seen recently.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
John Wayne remade Rio Bravo as El Dorado later and I always liked El Dorado more.

The Mitchum, Wayne and Caan combination was better imo.
Cant remember it off the top of my head. The father had "The Duke" collection on VHS. Then we discovered TCM on sky and it was great. Havent watched one in ages myself.

D J Dog Toffee

The Long Riders was also excellent. Great Ry Cooder music and some of the cinematography is just beautiful.

4 sets of real brothers play the various characters. it all works.
"Long Riders" is cool, one of my all time faves is "High Plains Drifter" by Eastwood. I also love "The Wild Bunch" by Peckinpah. It plays at a slightly slower pace than modern movies but hosts a classic final reel.

"Open Range" is not bad as well, shot nicely with a cracking gunfight. If you fancy a full on spaghetti western experience, try "Django".

Drainy

If Sergio Leone directed it, its probably a great western. Particularly Once Upon a Time in the West. If it wasn't for a fairly major editing feck up which messes with the chronological order of 2/3 scenes, I'd say it was a perfect film

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Motherfeckin' Stagecoach. Best Western.

Also

The Good the Bad and the Weird.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I decided to ease myself in and go for a recent one so I watched 3:10 to Yuma (2007). I quite liked it although I'm not exactly a big Christian Bale fan. I liked it enough to be extremely pleased when one character was killed so I guess it was doing something right.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Westerns are still some of the most bad-ass films of all time.

Effortlessly cool when done properly, just behind Film Noir in the cool stakes.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
"Long Riders" is cool, one of my all time faves is "High Plains Drifter" by Eastwood. I also love "The Wild Bunch" by Peckinpah. It plays at a slightly slower pace than modern movies but hosts a classic final reel.

"Open Range" is not bad as well, shot nicely with a cracking gunfight. If you fancy a full on spaghetti western experience, try "Django".

I'm sure I have seen this and a lot of teh Franco Nero westerns a long time ago. I ordered it on Netflix.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Can't believe nobody mentioned this classic...

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I decided to ease myself in and go for a recent one so I watched 3:10 to Yuma (2007). I quite liked it although I'm not exactly a big Christian Bale fan. I liked it enough to be extremely pleased when one character was killed so I guess it was doing something right.
Really? I thought it was terrible.

I quite like the offbeat approach of High Plains Drifter. Very thoughtful stuff from Clint at a time when it was usually guns and fighting and not much else. I really have a thing for Verna Bloom too.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Really? I thought it was terrible.

I quite like the offbeat approach of High Plains Drifter. Very thoughtful stuff from Clint at a time when it was usually guns and fighting and not much else. I really have a thing for Verna Bloom too.
Well, obviously I'm new to this Western business so I don't know how it compares to others in its genre but I found it reasonably entertaining. Not sure what I'll go for next.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
Does anyone on here like John Wayne movies on here? I've been in a debate for years with my brother and dad about them. I can't stand them. They both think they're great. Where do ye all stand on the topic?

To the OP, as someone said, if it's directed by Sergio Leone it's worth a watch. Also, Sergio Corbucci did some good ones; like The Great Silence which was mentioned earlier as well.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Shout out for High Noon too. I think John Wayne said it was the most un-American movie he'd ever seen.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I'm going to embark on a quest to watch every half decent Western ever made. Hated them when I was younger but I needs educatin.

Any further recommendations folks to those mentioned upthread?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I'm going to embark on a quest to watch every half decent Western ever made. Hated them when I was younger but I needs educatin.

Any further recommendations folks to those mentioned upthread?
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Trinity trilogy
Magnificent Seven
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Hang Them High
Unforgiven
Tombstone

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Trinity trilogy
Magnificent Seven
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Hang Them High
Unforgiven
Tombstone
Cheers. I haven't seen The Trinity trilogy so googled. Is it spoof? If so not interested. A mans horse is no laughing matter and neither is anyone's mule.
I also haven't seen the last three listed there so thanks for the heads up

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The Man with No Name trilogy.
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven
High Plains Drifter
Pale Rider
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
Magnificent Seven
Once upon a time in the west

On 2nd tier... ( Just my personal quirky choice)

The quick and the dead
Wild Bunch
Cowboys and Aliens

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Got to add Bone Tomahawk now.

Damn, everytime I hear the name of that movie my mind goes back to that scene. It's never going to leave me.