Westminster Politics

Hephaestus

4 amendments
1. for a referendum in March
2. EU citizens
3. 16/17 year olds
4. date on 9th

I think the electoral commission said its too short a time period to implement 3

so yeah i suspect that one does not get called but the EU amendment is a separate one and as EU citizens can already vote in local elections (and commonwealth citizens in gerenral elections) there isnt a technical reason it cant be done in the time frame ... so that one could still be selected

At which point probably the government spikes the bill

and then as I say - not sure what next - probably a no confidence motion (followed by an election - probably with out EU citizens voting as there is nobody to pass the legislation unless a GNU is formed )
I'd be surprised if a no confidence vote happened before any changes happened, if an amendment succeeded then all the opposition parties would be better off not tabling a motion of no confidence until they can get it through as a separate bill. But it's looking like 1 and 4 would be the only ones you mentioned that get put to a vote and 4 is the only one with a chance.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Labour had better hope boris runs as bad a campaign as May did last time
Cant see that myself though - and i suspect this time there will be a TV debate and it will be nasty
Farrage, Johnson, Swinson, Sturgon?, Corbyn
Will be key to see what the brexit party does I think (election pact with boris - only standing against remain MPS, or campaigning in every constituency)
It'll be one single debate, questions in advance, Boris will survive by the skin of his teeth and then hide like the coward he is hoping that nobody notices. He'll then talk big and tough in closed doors rallies and win a majority.

Drifter

American
Number of rough sleepers in London surges to record high, figures show

The number of rough sleepers in London has surged to a record high, with around 22 people now sleeping on the streets for the first time each day, new figures suggest.

Data collated by the Combined Homelessness and Information Network (CHAIN) – the most comprehensive data available about the number of rough sleepers in London – shows 3,985 people slept rough across the capital from July to September 2019, 28 per cent increase.

Worryingly the figures show that 2,069 people were new rough sleepers, a rise of 50 per cent, meaning someone is becoming homeless 22 times a day and nearly every two hours.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...high-figures-show/ar-AAJCJxL?ocid=mailsignout

MoskvaRed

Just confirming what everyone knew about him yet the obnoxious little dwarf continued to deny it to the very end.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...is-uks-biggest-mistake-since-second-world-war
Bercow’s absolutely right. He’s not without his faults but he has risen to the occasion over the last 12 months and done his best to stop an out of control executive frogmarching the country of the EU. I’d save the “obnoxious little dwarf” moniker for Johnson’s consigliere, who has yet to explain what he was up to in the lawless post-Soviet Russia of the mid-90s.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Full bodied red

If you can't win an argument through facts and logic, resort to puerile personal insults. You're certainly a Tory boy in your leader's mould.
Know me well, do you ??

Of course you don't.

And so you've no more idea than the man in the moon who I am

Nor do you know how I would vote if I ever did vote.

I might consider Tory Boy a puerile personal insult as well, but I'll just accept you've almost certainly had a humour bypass at some distant point in your sad life.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Know me well, do you ??

Of course you don't.

I might consider Tory Boy a puerile personal insult as well, but I'll just accept you've almost certainly had a humour bypass at some distant point in your sad life.
Nah, mocking someone because of their height is on a par with mocking them because of their sex, race, ability or age, it's something they have no choice over. Live and learn. Learn, move on.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Know me well, do you ??

Of course you don't.

Jokes are meant to be funny though.

Full bodied red

Nah, mocking someone because of their height is on a par with mocking them because of their sex, race, ability or age, it's something they have no choice over. Live and learn. Learn, move on.

Let's not be too selective, please. Where was your advice / admonishment for @Solius ( Staff, no less ) on September 7th in the UK General Election thread

' Can all the old people hurry up and die please '

OK....I've now consider myself to have lived and learned....That humour on here is very selective.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Let's not be too selective, please. Where was your advice / admonishment for @Solius ( Staff, no less ) on September 7th in the UK General Election thread

' Can all the old people hurry up and die please '

OK....I've now consider myself to have lived and learned....That humour on here is very selective.
For the record I do think Solius's comment was disgraceful. I don't know if anyone reported it at the time but I wouldn't have blamed them if they did. Hopefully both of you will consider the error of you ways. And yeah, I've probably said worse at times too, we're all human in reality.

Charlie Foley

I don't get it, was the 2nd WW a mistake? I am rather glad we didn't let the Nazis overrun the country. I guess it was a massive mistake for Germany though, I guess that's what he means?
I was confused by that too. I’m guessing he means appeasement that lead up to WWII was a mistake?

Charlie Foley

Just confirming what everyone knew about him yet the obnoxious little dwarf continued to deny it to the very end.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...is-uks-biggest-mistake-since-second-world-war
His personal opinion only matters if it caused him to act ultra vires or caused some sort of abuse of process. Do you have a concrete example of that? Correlation is not causation. He might think A, and the proper procedures might piss off people who think B and please others who think A, and it won’t be BECAUSE the speaker thinks A that he does what he does. It will be because those are the procedures in place.

Ultimately unless you can prove he abused his role you are just criticising him for having an opinion and then claiming he denies it while sharing an article of him expressing that opinion. If you think he acted beyond whatever discretion he may have then I’m genuinely interested in when that happened. If he acted within that discretion then tough shit that you don’t like it frankly, he’s acting within his authority to act. As he said himself no one complains when his decisions work in their favour.

For the record I’m not a Brit but I do work for a general assembly so maybe I care more about SoP and proper procedure/functions than some more partisan/ideological people on here.