Westminster Politics

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Apparently the Liberal Democrats now believe that you have to have a particular private view about gay sex, which is not at all liberal.
What does this mean? Repugnant views should not be tolerated coming from public leaders. Despite what someone's religion might say, thinking gay sex is a sin/immoral should be a disqualifying trait for any leader. You can't hide behind the curtain of private views since a leader's private views would most definitely come into play when it comes to framing a policy. What's to stop the next leader from claiming that he privately believes in white race supremacy but that does not mean he is not liberal.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We do this debate an awful lot. It always comes back to the fact that tolerance shouldn't include tolerating intolerance.
People should be allowed to be intolerant in my opinion, because that's how you get it out of them. Otherwise it gets pushed underground and these people become even more set in their ways, they have kids and it goes on and on. If you expose these prejudices to things like capitalism, you begin a conversation about why they think what they do. If all you do is come at these people name-calling first and making your point afterwards then they don't hear it at that point. I think there needs to be a visible dialogue about this stuff. Getting them to justify their views instead of banning them altogether is the only real way you can tackle intolerance imo.

This, again, is all well and good in principle - when it comes down to practice it can become incredibly difficult and may limit members of the LGBT community. What if someone is, say, going to work for a week in a fairly remote area with one hotel on offer, and that hotel refuses them service on the basis of their sexuality? It's a fairly arbitrary scenario, granted, but it's still something that could occur and something that would hugely disadvantage someone based on their sexuality alone. That shouldn't happen.
It could happen and shouldn't be discounted, it's a fair example. In that case I would urge the victim to go public, and watch with glee as those responsible see their trade dwindle.

Wow. I find that so, so wrong. Thankfully the law is on my side
That's fair enough.

That's crazy talk.
Ok.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Jumped the shark?
I think it dates back to Happy Days... In their desperation for a new episode idea a character literally 'jumped the shark'. It's now a euphemism for going too far.

Ady87

I always thought 2MM was a good guy. Terrible views on this point about denying gay people access to public or private services, due to religion or any other reason. (Fear)

2 man midfield

I always thought 2MM was a good guy. Terrible views on this point about denying gay people access to public or private services, due to religion or any other reason. (Fear)
I'm not saying you should do it, I'm saying that people have a right to choose who they provide their own labour to in a free market. I don't really see what's so wrong with that? I said above that obviously public services are a different matter.

DOTA

I have thought this and still do. He's the sort who likes a debate and doesn't shy away when he's on the wrong side of the caf's prevailing view on social issues.

I think he's thoroughly wrong, as I've stated, but I really don't believe his heart's in the wrong place, personally.

2 man midfield

I have thought this and still do. He's the sort who likes a debate and doesn't shy away when he's on the wrong side of the caf's prevailing view on social issues.

I think he's thoroughly wrong, as I've stated, but I really don't believe his heart's in the wrong place, personally.
Thanks DOTA, likewise.

This is exactly the way these things should play out, without all the bitterness and name-calling that usually goes with debates of this nature.

2 man midfield

Good news, we'll be leaving the EU soon so their equality laws won't apply anymore
I don't think it's an issue of equality though. Obviously any discrimination is inherently evil, and should be shown up.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Aye similar here. Disagree but can see where he's coming from.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I don't think it's an issue of equality though. Obviously any discrimination is inherently evil, and should be shown up.
I don't mean to be a dick when everyone is being so nice, but how was what you described not discrimination?
So it should be legal to refuse to rent a house to a black family? Or to deny a gay couple their hotel booking? Or to refuse to serve a Muslim person in a shop?
Depends. If you're a private landlord, yes. If it's your hotel, yes. If it's your shop, yes.
And yeah, equality and discrimination might be slightly different but broadly come under the same brush

Here are some EU guidelines

Know your rights — when buying or selling goods or services

Discrimination on grounds of racial or ethnic origin and sex is prohibited in services available to the public, whether in the public or private sector. You cannot be refused access to a restaurant, bar, fitness club, hotel, etc. on the basis of your sex or racial or ethnic origin and you cannot be required to pay a higher price for certain services just because of your sex (e.g. in hairdressing services and insurance). Not all activities fall under EU equality directives. For example, certain activities of public authorities (e.g. the police) are not ‘services’ under EU law and therefore EU anti-discrimination law does not apply. Services that are not made ‘available to the public’ are also exempted (e.g. an elderly lady wishing to rent out a room in her own house can look for a tenant in the limited circle of her family and acquaintances or limit her choice to one sex only).
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/discrimination/files/rights_against_discrimination_web_en.pdf

DOTA

I don't mean to be a dick when everyone is being so nice, but how was what you described not discrimination?
It is obviously is. He's arguing against legislation that prohibits private companies from being cnuts. I think that's clear. 'It's up to them to be cnuts and up to us to reject them' etc...

2 man midfield

Oh yeah of course it is, it's possibly the most blatant kind of discrimination there is to be fair. What I'm arguing though is that this doesn't really solve the problem. By making someone offer their services to someone they don't want to, you're just masking the problem. That person is still going to hold these beliefs, so you haven't really done anything other than make yourself feel better. The way to stop intolerance is to expose it, not cover it up. It needs to have a light shone on it and for people to tell the owner what they think of his behaviour in the only way that matters to them, by taking their trade elsewhere. In a capitalist society, these people are forced to wrestle with their views instead of merely covering them up.

DOTA

Oh yeah of course it is, it's possibly the most blatant kind of discrimination there is to be fair. What I'm arguing though is that this doesn't really solve the problem. By making someone offer their services to someone they don't want to, you're just masking the problem. That person is still going to hold these beliefs, so you haven't really done anything other than make yourself feel better. The way to stop intolerance is to expose it, not cover it up. It needs to have a light shone on it and for people to tell the owner what they think of his behaviour in the only way that matters to them, by taking their trade elsewhere. In a capitalist society, these people are forced to wrestle with their views instead of merely covering them up.
If people wish to stand outside their business, holding placards and describing their views regarding the practices, is this all part of the capitalist society, and as such fair game, too?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
To be fair to you, the "freedom" in the concept of freedom of speech historically means "freedom" from government interference.

i.e. Redcafe banning someone for calling someone else a coconut woudn't be taking away anyone'es freedom of speech, but a government doing that would.

Now if the government is denying someone's right to refuse service to someone, is that a loss of freedom of speech? Maybe.
Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. Maybe, by not allowing these these xenophobic views to be out in the open, we both improve things for those that would be discriminated against, and stop the xenophobic 'disease' from spreading.

Do you really think the majority of homophobes/xenophobes etc actually can be rehabilitated? I think more likely, eventually they die off, and more liberal people take their place.

Kaos

Well Owen will be Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
He's probably given him the most unenviable cabinet post considering current circumstances.

Good on him for keeping Cooper and Benn away, they don't deserve to replace the loyal frontbenchers who've been impressive this campaign.

2 man midfield

If people wish to stand outside their business, holding placards and describing their views regarding the practices, is this all part of the capitalist society, and as such fair game, too?
Oh yeah definitely.

To be fair to you, the "freedom" in the concept of freedom of speech historically means "freedom" from government interference.

i.e. Redcafe banning someone for calling someone else a coconut woudn't be taking away anyone'es freedom of speech, but a government doing that would.

Now if the government is denying someone's right to refuse service to someone, is that a loss of freedom of speech? Maybe.

Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. Maybe, by not allowing these these xenophobic views to be out in the open, we both improve things for those that would be discriminated against, and stop the xenophobic 'disease' from spreading.

Do you really think the majority of homophobes/xenophobes etc actually can be rehabilitated? I think more likely, eventually they die off, and more liberal people take their place.
I think it's a good thing to try. I think half the issue with these things is that you're already enlightened. If someone is trying to tell you that gay marriage shouldn't be legal, and you're calling him a bigot, a homophobe, etc, then make your point after then they're not going to want to see your side of it. The way to get these people onto your side is to ask them to think rationally about their views. I think their business failing as a result of some outdated opinions would be just the trick. 9/10 people believe in equality, in gay marriage etc, and so when one outlier says he doesn't then the response of the other 9/10 should be to avoid them. By making businesses offer their labour to people against their will we don't even get this far.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
We should also recognise that he was just not very good at being a party leader. That was enough to give him the boot even aside from his backward social views.
Surely this is the main reason he's gone? He ran a shit campaign.

2 man midfield

Surely this is the main reason he's gone? He ran a shit campaign.
This is one thing I don't get. It's funny he waited until after the election to declare this thing that had apparently been troubling him. Had he won and been elected prime minister then there's no way he'd have stepped down.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
A lot of talk about Tories possibly abolishing Barnett formula so they can funnel money into NI without paying other nations. Can't see that flying with Scot Tories or Wales.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Delighted that Corbyn hasn't put Bomber Benn or Yvette 'WCA' Cooper into the shadow cabinet.
Yea far stronger with the likes of Abbot there.

Disapointed the party hasn't unified and brought in some big hitters

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Just read his resignation speech. Christ, what a cnut.
Really why? He was stating he loved his religious faith but he didn't believe he should legislate alongside those beliefs. I thought it was very genuine on his part. You can tell he was gutted.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
what are the realistic chances of her not being able to pass the speech?
Unlikely, party sources say they are very confident with or without the DUP. Some are saying the SNP might abstain since they can't be doing with another election right now.