Westminster Politics

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's a Keith Flint tribute.

Abizzz

anyone watching Theresa May's speech?
i am now. Her laugh after that wheat field question is one of the most sympathetic things i've ever seen from her. She looks a lot more relaxed than usually. Missed most of the speech though.

Honest John

i am now. Her laugh after that wheat field question is one of the most sympathetic things i've ever seen from her. She looks a lot more relaxed than usually. Missed most of the speech though.
It made perfect sense and probably reflects the views of a vast silent majority of moderate people in this country from both sides of the political divide.

But our politicians are not interested in representing them.

Abizzz

It made perfect sense and probably reflects the views of a vast silent majority of moderate people in this country from both sides of the political divide.

But our politicians are not interested in representing them.
Yeah think I got the gist of her speech from the follow up questions and her answers to them. I've been very critical of her at times but agree with everything I heard from her there.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Yeah think I got the gist of her speech from the follow up questions and her answers to them. I've been very critical of her at times but agree with everything I heard from her there.
Nice that she didn’t bother acting on or sharing this wisdom until they kicked her out. She’s a fecking hypocrite.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nice that she didn’t bother acting on or sharing this wisdom until they kicked her out. She’s a fecking hypocrite.
Similar to how she's magically become a lot more willing to be critical of Trump now that her premiership is nearing its end. Politicians always become a lot more insightful, conciliatory and likable when they're no longer troubled with actual politics.

Abizzz

Well yes that one speech won't change my opinion on her either. She's had her chance and blew it pitifully, leaving her country a lot worse off than when she took over. Worth remembering that she only triggered article 50 when she did to survive that one week 2 1/4 years ago.

What a price to pay.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Grieve ammendment today trying to block the proroguing of parliament ...

It could be close a number of ministers must realise that under a Boris administration they will be demoted and at that point their only option might be to bring the government down

realistically this could be the last chance to do something about it and with may only having a week left many might feel its worth abstaining

Will be interesting to see if labour put a 3 line whip as well (and how many flaunt that if they do)

Smores

I'm not sure brexiteers can really champion democracy anymore if they vote against an amendment to ensure our parliament can't be simply shut out of the process.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm not sure brexiteers can really champion democracy anymore if they vote against an amendment to ensure our parliament can't be simply shut out of the process.
They don't care, they'll do it anyway and ignore the hypocrisy because that's how they've been operating since 2016.

Smores

I'm a day late with this so perhaps most have seen it but it's just amazing that this isn't satire

The first reply is from the ordinance map too :lol:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Philip Hammond has just stated live on BBC1 that he will resign as Chancellor if Boris becomes the new Prime Minister because he can not accept a no deal Brexit.
Walking before he is pushed. I cannot take to the slimy lizard but he is not stupid.

Drifter

American
Liam Fox as quit also .And:

Tory rebels threaten to join Lib Dems to thwart Boris Johnson

As many as six Conservative MPs are due to hold talks with the Liberal Democrats this week with the aim of derailing Brexit and Boris Johnson’s premiership.

Sources close to the talks say the discussions will include the possibility of a vote of no confidence in Johnson or even the option of Tory MPs defecting to the anti-Brexit party.

If only two were to switch, it would immediately deny
Boris Johnson
a parliamentary majority if, as expected, he is named Conservative leader on Tuesday.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...in-lib-dems-to-thwart-boris-johnson-h6nzxdsdt

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Well, at least they can stop pretending to be socially progressive now. Vulnerable seat too.
Presuming the Lib Dems maintain their recent boost she'll be fine - managed to win it with a fairly low overall vote total in 2017. Would be funny as feck if she lost it though considering all the current talk about her being a prospective PM and all that.

Full bodied red

Presuming the Lib Dems maintain their recent boost she'll be fine - managed to win it with a fairly low overall vote total in 2017. Would be funny as feck if she lost it though considering all the current talk about her being a prospective PM and all that.

Davey's supporters are claiming that the people who voted for Swinson didn't know what they were voting for, and now want a 2nd, Peoples Vote for the election of the Lib-not-so-Democrats Leader.

Seems about right to me and in keeping with the way the Lib-not-so-Democrats respect the results of voting.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The Liberals have been a bit unlucky with timing this week really. The Conservative leadership is getting ten times or more the coverage the Liberals have got yesterday and today. It's understandable of course, and I'm as underwhelmed by Swinson as most, I'm just saying they've missed out on a lot of coverage and publicity they would normally have gained.