Westminster Politics

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
If the government grinds to a halt as a result, another general election could become unavoidable.

This can only happen if:

• Two-thirds of MPs vote for it. In practice, it would need to be supported by both Labour and the Conservatives. Or:
  • MPs pass a motion of no confidence in the government AND an existing or new government cannot win a confidence vote in the Commons within 14 days of the no-confidence vote
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40209087

rcoobc

When does Parliament return after the election?
Parliament will return on 13 June after being dissolved in May when campaigning began among the parties.

Now that the General Election is done and dusted and the country attempts to get back to business it is time for Parliament to do the same.

MPs battled it out nationwide for the past three weeks as they campaigned to be elected.

Tuesday June 13 sees the return of Parliament as MPs are summoned to the House of Lords before they return to the Commons to elect the Speaker.

The House of Commons must elect (or re-elect) its Speaker after every General Election, and this is the first thing it does on the first day it meets after an election.

The former speaker, John Bercow, is not expected to be challenged and will be elected again.

The following day MPs again return to the House of Lords to get approval on the choice of speaker before going back to the Commons where the members of Parliament will start to be sworn in.

This continues until June 16 – when the House is not sitting.
Once all the MPs are sworn in the State Opening takes place, along with the Queen’s Speech.

This was due to be June 19, but it could be delayed, it is now reported.

Following this a debate on the speech lasts for six sitting days and is expected to finish on June 27, when the House votes on the motion.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3778978/parliament-return-2017-general-election-mps-sworn-in/

Slightly different to what the beeb was saying. Guess we'll know if we have a government around June 27

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
There's something that's confusing me.

The Tories have ruled out a formal coalition with the DUP. So whatever happens this will be a minority. So my question is, what are these talks about? I know the 10 mps from the DUP have to vote in favour but surely with sinn fein absteining she doesn't need the DUP, surely?

Smores

The Tories have ruled out a formal coalition with the DUP. So whatever happens this will be a minority. So my question is, what are these talks about? I know the 10 mps from the DUP have to vote in favour but surely with sinn fein absteining she doesn't need the DUP, surely?
No they still need the DUP votes. Discussions are to confirm they'll vote on queen speech and other policy votes.

Just watching Parliament and Bercrow really is a gent. Glad rest of the tories don't like him as he'd make a good tory leader

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

It's confidence and supply - literally an agreement for them to vote with the Tories on confidence motions for the PM, and budgets. Sinn Fein not being there brings the working majority total down from 326 to 322 (can't remember if the deputy speakers are also taken into account on this, if so then it's down to 320). Tories are at 317 so need the DUP to either vote with them or abstain. It's basically just about having a secure agreement in place that means there's no near term threat of the government being brought down.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It's confidence and supply - literally an agreement for them to vote with the Tories on confidence motions for the PM, and budgets. Sinn Fein not being there brings the working majority total down from 326 to 322 (can't remember if the deputy speakers are also taken into account on this, if so then it's down to 320). Tories are at 317 so need the DUP to either vote with them or abstain. It's basically just about having a secure agreement in place that means there's no near term threat of the government being brought down.
Ahh ok.

I see huge problems down the line coming from this.

Mr Bercow really is a gent.

rcoobc

Technically if the DUP abstained too, they would have a majority. But if they actively vote against the Tories, she doesn't.

Seats in Commons - 650 (total), 649 (minus speaker), 642 (minus speaker and Sinn Fein)
For Majority - 325 (total or minus speaker), 322 (minus Speaker and Sinn Fein )
Tories Government - 317 (total), 327 (with DUP)

You can see it actually makes very little difference if Sinn Fein did randomly decide to take their seats or not. With the DUP they have a majority. Without, not.

But what will be difficult for them is avoid losing votes. What if they have some MPs missing? What if there are some by-elections? If Labour get a vote of no confidence passed, and there is no new government with 14 days, we get a new General Election. In 1974 and 1996, I believe MPs often slept in parliament to try to surprise or not be surprised by a vote.

Forming a coalition (or having confidence and supply) with the DUP is all about making sure that the Tories are *cough* strong and stable.

In theory, the DUP-Conservatives could form a rock solid coalition that would last all 5 years (peace in Northern Ireland be damned). In practice, betfair have got the odds of another General Election before 2019 at around 52%. Which seems fair.

It all depends on how quickly Corbyn can sap the energy from whatever Government May throws together. He needs every SNP and Lib Dem MP (at least) to vote with him to bring down the Tories, if it's even possible. The Tories will be desperate not to have another General Election until the polls turn their way.

Smores

Odd seeing the Commons so jovial rather than shouting over each other

As i typed that Farron was the first to get groans on mention of his name. They're still groaning at him, didnt realise he was so disliked :lol:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
12/5 on another GE in 2017.

Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn are both 5/2 to be next PM.

muller

Not as likely as would be my preference! JC definitely has the momentum and support now, but its all to do with if the Tories can manage any kind of governments with the DUP and their.. um.. slightly backward views on a lot of things.

rcoobc

Betfair marketplace have got Jeremy being next PM as 4/1. I guess because the chances are that the Conservatives would choose a new PM before the next GE is called. Boris Johnson at 3/1

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I reckon if the next few shaky months or so go OK for the Tories , then it will mean no PM Corbyn. It'll be the next Labour leader (Probably Cooper or Clive Lewis).

DOTA

Betfair marketplace have got Jeremy being next PM as 4/1. I guess because the chances are that the Conservatives would choose a new PM before the next GE is called. Boris Johnson at 3/1
Indeed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's growing and growing in stature, more confidence and more swagger. It's fantastic, people believe in people who believes in themselves so the higher his shoulders are held and the brighter the glint in his eye, the more people will get behind him.

DOTA

He's growing and growing in stature, more confidence and more swagger. It's fantastic, people believe in people who believes in themselves so the higher his shoulders are held and the brighter the glint in his eye, the more people will get behind him.
It's fascinating to watch. He never meant to be Labour leader but it turned out an awful lot of people wanted him to, so he went for it. I don't think he's ever really meant to be PM, until now, but turns out an awful lot of people want him to, so he's gonna give it a go.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's fascinating to watch. He never meant to be Labour leader but it turned out an awful lot of people wanted him to, so he went for it. I don't think he's ever really meant to be PM, until now, but turns out an awful lot of people want him to, so he's gonna give it a go.
I don't think he ever meant to give me a million quid.
*waits*
*waits some more*
Poop...

DOTA

I don't think he ever meant to give me a million quid.
*waits*
:lol:

I'm afraid you may need an awful lot of people to want him to give you a million quid. I mean... I'm on board but there's still a few to go.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Doh. Good thinking, chiefo. :D

Ady87

No they still need the DUP votes. Discussions are to confirm they'll vote on queen speech and other policy votes.

Just watching Parliament and Bercrow really is a gent. Glad rest of the tories don't like him as he'd make a good tory leader
I've always liked Bercrow, why is it Tories don't like him?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I've always liked Bercrow, why is it Tories don't like him?
He was on the moderate wing of the party, and the hardline Tories never really trusted him. There was even talk back before he became speaker of him maybe defecting to Labour. Supposedly very few Tories actually voted for him as speaker.

Oh and his wife is a Labour supporter who campaigned for Tony Blair, which probably didn't help. :lol: