Westminster Politics

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Thought it might be worth making a new thread, as a lot of what is happening now can't be put in the General Election thread.

So it seems like the Tories are all backing Theresa (for the moment):

Meanwhile Labour can't decide whether to back staying in the single-market, or not:

Oh and the Tories might stay in Government on the back of climate change denying anti-Catholic fundamentalists...

Last edited:

Minimalist

Thought it might be worth making a new thread, as a lot of what is happening now can't be put in the General Election thread.

Meanwhile Labour can't decide whether to back staying in the single-market, or not:

Oh and the Tories might stay in Government on the back of climate change denying Catholic fundamentalists...
Wat

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
@altodevil86, think you got that a bit wrong. Check out Ian Paisley. :lol:

And just for the record:
Pope Francis has called for urgent action to stop climate change and proposed that caring for the environment be added to traditional Christian works of mercy such as feeding the hungry and visiting the sick. In a message to mark the Catholic church’s World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation that he launched last year, Francis said the worst impact of global warming was being felt by those who were least responsible for it – refugees and the poor.

The pontiff used the occasion to revive many of the powerful issues he highlighted a year ago in his provocative encyclical on the environment, Laudato si’, and his latest message seems certain to rankle conservatives.

Francis described man’s destruction of the environment as a sin and accused mankind of turning the planet into a “polluted wasteland full of debris, desolation and filth”.

“Global warming continues,” the pope said. “2015 was the warmest year on record, and 2016 will likely be warmer still. This is leading to ever more severe droughts, floods, fires and extreme weather events.

“Climate change is also contributing to the heart-rending refugee crisis. The world’s poor, though least responsible for climate change, are most vulnerable and already suffering its impact.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-calls-on-christians-to-embrace-green-agenda

altodevil

In fairness I had typed anti-catholic in my head, but I suppose I should just accept my new-found retardedness and leave.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It would be a good idea if Corbyn told John McDonnell to keep quiet for a while.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Queens Speech delayed.

are we here now?
We need to clear up what time limits there are on this. How long do the two parties have to form a government before there is another General Election?

@Ubik suggested they only have two weeks due to something in the Fixed Term Parliament act, but I think that only applies to a vote of no confidence.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
We need to clear up what time limits there are on this. How long do the two parties have to form a government before there is another General Election?

@Ubik suggested they only have two weeks due to something in the Fixed Term Parliament act, but I think that only applies to a vote of no confidence.
Yeah I think you're right there.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

According to the BBC..

BBC said:
The first deadline is Tuesday 13 June, when the new Parliament meets for the first time.

Mrs May has until this date to put together a deal to keep herself in power or resign, according to official guidance issued by the Cabinet Office.
http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-40209087

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It would be a good idea if Corbyn told John McDonnell to keep quiet for a while.
Poor ol' John needs some daylight, what with being locked in a cupboard for he majority of campaigning. Just a pity we couldn't have thrown May in there with him.

Smores

Poor ol' John needs some daylight, what with being locked in a cupboard for he majority of campaigning. Just a pity we couldn't have thrown May in there with him.
What? We saw him a lot more than most of the actual cabinet. Where the hell was Hammond?

jackofalltrades

Will she walk away if she doesn't like the deal - no deal better than a bad one etc ? Just remembered, 12th July is not far off. Garvaghy Road might be fun this year:eek:

Smores

So they've pushed back the Queen Speech after the Queen had already cancelled an event for Monday to do it :lol:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I see the DUP are getting their orders from the Orange Order who, as always, have practical concerns. Namely the right to march down a many catholic road that was taken away for good reasons many years ago.
I genuinely can't wrap my head around the marching thing. For fecks sake, this is 2017 and people are willing to get into bloody riots over the 'right' to walk down a street carrying a flag for no reason other than to offend the people who live there. How does this seem like a positive thing to any grown adult?

QuackQuack

Handy with candles and exhausts
I have just seen that one of the reported reason for the delay in queens speech is that the goats skin used will not be dry in time. :lol:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I genuinely can't wrap my head around the marching thing. For fecks sake, this is 2017 and people are willing to get into bloody riots over the 'right' to walk down a street carrying a flag for no reason other than to offend the people who live there. How does this seem like a positive thing to any grown adult?
Britain 2017

Rory 7

Supposedly, according to John Snow on Twitter, the DUP are pressing for their sectarian orange parade in Portdown to be unbanned by the Govt, that is what is holding up a deal. How did it come to this Britain? A government propped up by these bigots.

Alias

Oh and the Tories might stay in Government on the back of climate change denying anti-Catholic fundamentalists...
Can we not have just one thread on politics where it isn't punctuated by inaccurate statements that were likely garnered from social media. Just because one party member believes something doesn't mean that it's the entire party's policy you know.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
She is heading into the first cabinet meeting now, i have never seen a winning team of MPs look so utterly depressed going in to number 10.

Raulduke

Supposedly, according to John Snow on Twitter, the DUP are pressing for their sectarian orange parade in Portdown to be unbanned by the Govt, that is what is holding up a deal. How did it come to this Britain? A government propped up by these bigots.
If that's true then it could genuinely lead to the unraveling of the Good Friday Agreement. I grew up in a predominantly nationalist/republican town which would erupt into prolonged riots during the marching season in protest against marches like the one at Drumcree. The DUP have always opposed the parades commission as setup under the terms of the GFA but have never been able to get it replaced so if they are able to circumvent the parades commission on this republican communities could well take to the streets again in response. Absolutely terrifying proposition given dissident republicans (who's support is at virtually zero at the minute) will no doubt seek to take advantage of such a scenario to gain some credibility.

Blind

I'm all for DUP bashing but there's been a lot of fake news around their demands for supporting the Tories. If they were to actually get past the parades commission that would be a fecking omnishambles of a decision, especially with the 12th so close.

Smores

Can we not have just one thread on politics where it isn't punctuated by inaccurate statements that were likely garnered from social media. Just because one party member believes something doesn't mean that it's the entire party's policy you know.
Exactly what are you claiming is a falsehood here?

Its a bit pathetic to see Tory voters side with the DUP suddenly or even just downplay their impact.

altodevil

What do people make of this secret brexit donation given to the DUP, but was then spent in London? Supposedly was a loophole which meant it could be kept anonymous.

Alongside that, supposedly the DUP want Farage to be involved in the negotiations?