Westminster Politics

MUW4Eva

I get what you're saying and he wouldn't have to resign. But it'd undermine everything that he's said about it previously and make the whole thing even more of a farce than it currently is. It'd also make anyone who's called for Boris to resign a hypocrite if they didn't ask for the same from Starmer.

I believe Boris should've gone by the way, I think any MP who breaks the law should go, regardless of what that law is/was. How can you have a say in how the country is ran when you don't abide by the counties rules?
How would it be possible for only Starmer to resign but not Boris, if both had done or been found guilty of the same thing??

One can't go without the other on that situation.

Fluctuation0161

Trump got elected when the entire media were against him. People aren't as gullible as you think.
I mean, it's off topic, but the entire media was not against Trump. Having Fox news and Cambridge analytica (digital media) on side certainly helped, for example.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
How would it be possible for only Starmer to resign but not Boris, if both had done or been found guilty of the same thing??

But surely given the infinitely more moral Labour, it's MP's and supporters won't stand for such shoddy reasoning.
To be better than the Tories, they must get rid of Starmer. Right?

Rooney1987

Looking at my area North Yorkshire a Tory stronghold. Previously held 68 out of 90 seats, now just 47. Might have been the disaster everyone expected but still a very bad day for the Tories. BBC and Sky but say If this was an election hung parliament would be the result.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Well resignation is a personal matter of judgement

If starmer was found to have broken the rules he may feel that undermines his authority and it would be hypocritical for him to continue in a leadership role

Boris may think fek you oiks I'm pm and the rules don't apply to me

Fearless

Mighty Mouse

If starmer was found to have broken the rules he may feel that undermines his authority and it would be hypocritical for him to continue in a leadership role

Starmer should resign. Anything else is total hypocrisy.

Maticmaker

Trump got elected when the entire media were against him. People aren't as gullible as you think.
This is true, but people can still be gullible. DT (for a while anyway) mastered the trick of using social media.

However the mantra of the British left in blaming the right wing media for hoodwinking the public is a long and well established tradition (excuse) for its failed dogma and its own inability to communicate effectively with the people it claims to represent.
The one thing I would accept about the (basically) right wing press, is its ability to distract the political antenna of the left and in so doing this provides enough cover so that lots of readers of the popular press begin to feel its not worth voting.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
This is true, but people can still be gullible. DT (for a while anyway) mastered the trick of using social media.

However the mantra of the British left in blaming the right wing media for hoodwinking the public is a long and well established tradition (excuse) for its failed dogma and its own inability to communicate effectively with the people it claims to represent.
The one thing I would accept about the (basically) right wing press, is its ability to distract the political antenna of the left and in so doing this provides enough cover so that lots of readers of the popular press begin to feel its not worth voting.
Good post.

Smores

'Man who excuses apartheid demands Starmer resigns for beer and curry hypocrisy '

Clever play by the Tories, Boris will step down and then they can drag the investigation out so the focus goes onto Labour.

If he's done anything wrong and i don't believe he has, he should resign before Boris as it'll suit Labour perfectly.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

Because Boris has shown himself time and time again to not give a feck about anything other than himself and shows complete contempt for the entire country. He’s the epitome of ‘one rule for me and one for everyone else’.

For Starmer to say “you need to resign, you’ve broken the law” and then be found guilty of breaking the law himself and not resigning would completely undermine everything he’s ever said.

And “well he didn’t resign, so why should I?” Wouldn’t work for most as an excuse I wouldn’t have thought.

To be clear.. this is all assuming he’s found guilty. I don’t think he’s done anything wrong, personally.

MoskvaRed

Having a beer as part of a late night discussion in a meeting room in no way compares with holding full-scale parties. One is (potentially) a technical breach of the rules while the other is dowsing the rules in brandy and making a flambee of them. Also Johnson blatantly lied about his parties in parliament while I am not aware Starmer has done so. If voters are stupid enough to fall for this Daily Mail distraction, I’ll lose any remaining hope in the British electorate.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Do we have any political boffins who can explain how, if at all, these council elections reflect what the next general election could look like?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Starmer should resign. Anything else is total hypocrisy.
Not even close to being accurate. Boris was found AFTER an investigation to have breached the rules, and lying repeatedly about attending the events. Starmer has been open about attending his events and that's BEFORE an investigation has taken place.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Not even close to being accurate. Boris was found AFTER an investigation to have breached the rules, and lying repeatedly about attending the events. Starmer has been open about attending his events and that's BEFORE an investigation has taken place.
Believe @Fearless later clarified that he meant Stermer should resign if found guilty.

Smores

Do we have any political boffins who can explain how, if at all, these council elections reflect what the next general election could look like?
Not really possible to be honest. Sky and BBC have an attempted projection but it's not a proper analysi and think it's just nationalising these results across all seats.

There's a lot less hanging on these votes so the green and lib dem share inevitably won't be representative. The Tories needed to do a lot worse and Labour much better to suggest a huge swing at a general election.

Positive spin would be it's still a win and you can build narratives on a win and a Tory loss. At least you could if the police weren't being made to play politics.

Rooney1987

Tories currently at net loss of 467 councillors. Daily mail said losing 350 or more councillors would be considered disaster territory.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Starmer is done. Just a question of when.

Boris will remain and probably call an election whilst Labour have one of their six month self flaggelating leadership elections, now the Fixed Term Parliaments Act is toast.

It is what I would do.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Not really possible to be honest. Sky and BBC have an attempted projection but it's not a proper analysi and think it's just nationalising these results across all seats.

There's a lot less hanging on these votes so the green and lib dem share inevitably won't be representative. The Tories needed to do a lot worse and Labour much better to suggest a huge swing at a general election.

Positive spin would be it's still a win and you can build narratives on a win and a Tory loss. At least you could if the police weren't being made to play politics.
Appreciated.

DanH

I don't know why people think Starmer is done? Has he breached a regulation that was in force at the time?

If I were him I'd come out and say that if he received an fpn he would submit to a full trial, and if found guilty in a court he would then resign.

Widow

Starmer has been open about attending his events and that's BEFORE an investigation has taken place.
He was 'open' because of a photo clearly showing him there with a beer. Labour also lied about Rayner being there, they later retracted this claiming it was a mistake in good faith.

chris123

Bad day for the tories but not a great gain for Labour.
Probably reflective on the national polling/outlook as well. I think Labour did fine all things being considered, with some particularly good results in London and Wales, but the biggest story is more how much of a disaster this is for the tories.

I get the sense voters don't exactly love their options right now, and this was more of a rejection of this current government than anything else.

nimic

something nice
Scout
They're every bit as gullible as he thinks. Trump voters just got their information from other media sources. And it obviously goes without saying that you have to be gullible to believe Trump. There's a reason why most Republicans now believe the deep state stole the last election, and it's not because they're all such great critical thinkers.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

My understanding is that up to a day or so ago, Starmer had been told by the Durham police that they had looked into the incident and said that they were not going to take any further action.
But as you say. In the event that he is found to have broken Lockdown Restrictions, then he definitely should do the right thing and resign. No doubt about that.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I disagree. Not the tory disaster but that Labour failed to take full advantage outside of London. Arguably, the biggest story is the gains for the greens and the LD.
This is pretty typical of a mid term set of elections, especially local council, where a protest type vote goes to LD. It is a no risk protest.
Disgruntled Tory voters are hardly likely to jump to Labour are they.

But for me, there was enough for Labour to be positive about.

Widow

This is pretty typical of a mid term set of elections, especially local council, where a protest type vote goes to LD. It is a no risk protest.
Disgruntled Tory voters are hardly likely to jump to Labour are they.

But for me, there was enough for Labour to be positive about.
I'm fully aware of this.

I'm not so positive about Labour's future.