Westminster Politics

Sweet Square

Threw his toys out of the pram when he didn't get the Labour nomination for the seat (Gloria de Piero confidentially gave notice that she did not want to run again). Got a better deal from the Tories and jumped ship.

I'm shocked by how often this happens. Locally to me a number of councillors did the same over the past few years.
Cheers, didn't know that was the reason why he jumped. Yeah same I'm always taken back when it happens. It's pure self interest and power grabs.

Maticmaker

I'm shocked by how often this happens. Locally to me a number of councillors did the same over the past few years.
Really?
Its 'musical chairs' in some local authorities, I was told some years back that one guy in a nearby local authority, did within a period of twenty years, serve as a local Councillor for three different political parties, yes he was selected/elected each time and at one time he was Deputy Leader of the Council.

Apparently he was a very popular guy and everyone said he worked his socks off for his constituents.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Really?
Its 'musical chairs' in some local authorities, I was told some years back that one guy in a nearby local authority, did within a period of twenty years, serve as a local Councillor for three different political parties, yes he was selected/elected each time and at one time he was Deputy Leader of the Council.

Apparently he was a very popular guy and everyone said he worked his socks off for his constituents.
I am. I am more surprised and shocked of the brazenness of it.

Around near me I have seen zero examples of good councillors, and loads of examples of people who like the perks, do zero local work, and who suddenly discover that the party they have been a member of for years has never represented their principles. Loads of defections from Labour to the Tories too. If Labour ever look like winning an election I expect that to reverse.

The local selection meetings for council candidates usually get few nominations and are attended by half a dozen people, so it is remarkably easy to get a majority of people to support your bid.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I mean it was always going to take some doing to beat Theresa May and David Cameron for the worst government in recent memory but fair fecks to Boris & co, they've absolutely smashed it.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's alright, AI and digital platforms will he....

Oh wait, only 100 IT staff leaving the Civil Service per week to go into the private sector replaced by people without the skills and know-how to actually implement the changes set by policies from Gov.

Another round of inflated short term private sector contracts to flood the Civil Service yet again...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well they would do wouldn't they. Probably Daily Mail readers who believe everything they read. As long as it makes Labour look bad and their beloved Tories like paragons of virtue.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...al-problems-stopped-him-raising-benefits-more

Rishi Sunak has claimed he was prevented from raising benefits more at the spring statement because of the old computer system used by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Acknowledging that technical problems “sounds like an excuse”, the UK chancellor told Bloomberg he had discussed a higher rise than the 3.1% given across the board but was told there could be an uplift only once a year for people on some benefits.

Government now 100% sure they can get away with anything as the electorate are so gullible, they'll believe anything they're told. Anyone deemed likely to question them are told to wave a flag vigorously.

Roane

Boris was on a factory visit in my locality.

Was speaking to a Romanian lass who works at the place.

She said her boyfriend always said he was an idiot, now she has met him she can confirm he is indeed an idiot.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...al-problems-stopped-him-raising-benefits-more

Rishi Sunak has claimed he was prevented from raising benefits more at the spring statement because of the old computer system used by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Acknowledging that technical problems “sounds like an excuse”, the UK chancellor told Bloomberg he had discussed a higher rise than the 3.1% given across the board but was told there could be an uplift only once a year for people on some benefits.

Government now 100% sure they can get away with anything as the electorate are so gullible, they'll believe anything they're told. Anyone deemed likely to question them are told to wave a flag vigorously.
Mogg was suggesting that the process automation in the Universal Credit system meant they could get rid of DWP Civil Servants without impacting service provision. Sadly the truth is that both Sunak and Mogg are lying.

Frosty

:lol:
Spiteful cnut. It's like we're living in someone's fecked up simulation and it keeps getting worse and worse.
Mogg was suggesting that the process automation in the Universal Credit system meant they could get rid of DWP Civil Servants without impacting service provision. Sadly the truth is that both Sunak and Mogg are lying.
They have been in power for 12 years. Clearly this is a tough IT fix.

Frosty

As an American, it’s amazing to see current issue polling, then see Con + something.
Your two parties have regularly swapped being in power. Generally speaking the most a party needs to wait for the Presidency is eight years, and less on a federal level.

Your state level government is much more comparable to the UK.

Labour were in power for thirteen years, 1997 to 2010. It is worth repeating that this is the longest period of non-Tory rule we have had since 1763.

The Tory Party have dominated politics throughout the entire history of the UK. By my count, since 1801, that gives Tory 122 years, Liberal etc. 53 years, Labour 33 years, wartime and postwar coalitions (in which the Tories were almost always the largest element) 13 years.

Cloudface

As an American, it’s amazing to see current issue polling, then see Con + something.
I wouldn't take that poll as an accurate reflection of the state of things at the minute. The vast majority of polls have Labour with a 6-7% lead at least and the Tories on a steady downward trend.

They should be rock bottom of course, but that post is a bit misleading.

Frosty

Connor O'Neill, football writer for the Liverpool Echo, said Liverpool fans 'are well known' for booing God Save The Queen at Wembley and claimed that the reasons date from the city's antipathy towards Margaret Thatcher's Tory government in the 1980s.

He said: 'The Conservative Government's 'managed decline' of the city was then followed by the failings of the Government following the Hillsborough disaster, which further entrenched those feelings.'

There were also reports of supporters booing the National Anthem earlier this year, when Liverpool played Chelsea in the Carabao Cup final, also held at Wembley.

---

Dear Liverpool fans, I object to this because it is making me warm to you. Stop this at once.