Westminster Politics

Drainy

Completely mad story on Menzies. How on earth did he think he could get away with it? When did the Whips know and why did they only act
Apparently they've known for 3 months

Cynically, I'm thinking it must be why they are desperately pushing the Rayner smears

decorativeed

Wasn't Ed in a position of power? What a nonsensical conversation. If people are too thick to understand what inflation is.... he's really not helping with bollocks presenting like that.
I think all he was doing is forcing her to explain properly to the average viewer who might have taken what she said at face value. He obviously understands that to be deceitful and misleading.

Camilo

I think all he was doing is forcing her to explain properly to the average viewer who might have taken what she said at face value. He obviously understands that to be deceitful and misleading.
Sure, but he talked more shite than her! I'm not even sure she was trying to be sneaky - the point was, in real world terms, food will cost less per pound earned. He rightly corrected her, but managed to look like a total dick in the process.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
"Feeling anxious or depressed". They have no idea on how debilitating it can be, and if it's a systematic policy it's going to send a load of people over the edge.
I signed off for two weeks with stress a few weeks ago and it's proper shit. I spent the first week feeling guilty for being off and stressed about what I'd be coming back to.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The UK already has a toxic relationship with work/social life balance and culture and this will just help make it worse. Running yourself into the ground for a job shouldn't be the norm or what we strive for ffs.

Jericholyte2

So, they're going to take medical decision-making away from trained medical professionals, whose role and job is to make people better, to people working for the Department of Work & Pensions, whose role and job is to reduce the number of people on benefits. Person X, who started with anxiety, but has been on a mental health waiting list for 9 months is now full-blown depressed and agoraphobic, will meet with the DWP officer who will rescind their 'sick note' so that they're then being forced in to work. They try it, exaccerbate their issue(s) and, because they've 'broken' the rules of their benefits, they lose financial support, and where does that end...

I can see this policy killing lots of people! Thankfully they won't be in government to actually enact something as cruel as this!

That piece of shit Sunak claims he's on a moral crusade - feck HIM! He's never had to claim a benefit in his life and he never will. If you're on such a moral fecking crusade how about:
  • You move to rejoin the EU so that medicine shortages aren't exaccerbated, so people can maintain their medical needs
  • You move to rejoin the EU so that medical staff can freely move to the UK to work and fill the 170,000(ish) vacancies
  • You pay people what they're fecking worth!
  • You work to fund and staff mental / physical health provisions and things like CAMHS so people can be treated before a condition becomes untreatable
  • You work to restart things like Sure Start so people can have social help to ease concerns that can develop into depression or MH conditions
  • You work to regulate things like ultra-processed cheap food so people aren't forced to eat digestible poison that kills cells and clogs arteries
Instead, you punch down on those who are medically vulnerable, trying their best to (literally) make it from day to day.

What a pathetic excuse for a human he is, never mind a politician!

feck him!

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Looks like he's getting desperate now. Might win a few votes from pensioners swaying to Reform but he's a sitting duck. It will never come to fruition so not even worth speculating how it would work.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I signed off for two weeks with stress a few weeks ago and it's proper shit. I spent the first week feeling guilty for being off and stressed about what I'd be coming back to.
Most people have been there or been close to it, and those that haven't will often have it to come, whether they think it unlikely now or not. Look after yourself and good luck.

decorativeed

The UK already has a toxic relationship with work/social life balance and culture and this will just help make it worse. Running yourself into the ground for a job shouldn't be the norm or what we strive for ffs.
Exactly, and it shows us what the Tories think we are here for - to shut up and make them richer while you piss your miserable time on earth down the drain in servitude.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
How else will the managerial class get richer?!

They won't innovate, invest or reduce prices, so they have to squeeze labour.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I was signed off for the best part of a year with bipolar and several lengthy spells of psychosis. I was almost sectioned. After reading this announcement I am sure I would have been fine working throughout.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Did he ever stop to think that there are more people on the”sick” now than 20 years ago because most places are now running staff into the ground expecting them to do the work of 3 people whilst still getting shit pay for it. As long as companies retain their huge profits, supported by conservative governments then it doesn’t matter if Joe Public drops dead from a heart attack. Hell then want to remove all your workers rights so they can treat you shitter. And now they want to cut your escape routes. Get back to work you bludgers. We don’t want to see or hear you above ground

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I was signed off for the best part of a year with bipolar and several lengthy spells of psychosis. I was almost sectioned. After reading this announcement I am sure I would have been fine working throughout.
How are you feeling these days? I hope that you’re feeling a lot more like yourself and in more of a stable place

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
of course it looks a lot when you put them altogether, you prick. if you isolate them as nothing more than main stream media storms in teacups, then the list is fine.

neverdie

It can destroy a person. Especially given the past few years, with Covid and isolation, you genuinely think they'd be 1) more understanding, 2) more ambitious (lowest common denominator: the sick, the migrants, etc.) and 3) less Tory austerity.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Well done for making it through what must have been the toughest period of your life. I’ve managed something similar.

Thankfully our government has made us realise that we both could have just hardened up and worked through it all.

All jokes aside… I received no public sector support during that period. My apex capitalism bosses (investment fund) paid for private healthcare and showed enormous support throughout. Inside 18 months I’d been promoted and am thriving.

That to say,,, he’s not just out of touch with the country, but also with his private sector champions.

I was helped by the fact that my two managing partners had both experienced depression in their 30 year careers. But both created a company that understood basic humanity.

The Tories are done. Toast.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
:lol:
The interesting observation is that Menzies is Fylde MP, Scott Benton who resigned recently for being caught in a cash for questions scandal is Blackpool South and Paul Maynard Blackpool North has been referred to the Standards Committee for misuse of his parliamentary office and is likely to face a suspension. 3 MPS, all Tory in neighbouring constituencies....

decorativeed

Yeah, you should have just knuckled down and cheered up, mate.

Absolute sociopaths, this government. Just when you think they couldn't possibly deserve any more contempt.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'm not saying it's great, but it's nowhere near as bad as places like the US, Asia and Australia, where the work/life barriers can be non-existent and 20-21 days of annual leave is the norm.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm not saying it's great, but it's nowhere near as bad as places like the US, Asia and Australia, where the work/life barriers can be non-existent and 20-21 days of annual leave is the norm.
Quite, but that doesn't mean we should follow that nonsense.