Westminster Politics

Maticmaker

I was waiting for your usual post blaming this on Labour. Like clockwork.
Yes, and I'm right too, I worked hard for the Labour party for years, but began to realise either it's not serious in wanting power, or it couldn't find its own a*** with two hands...nothing's changed, even this lot of crack pot, red meat Tories can beat them to the punch. Labour is as far removed from understanding the people it's supposed to represent as it's ever been, and as for gaining power... well I've given up hope of seeing another Labour Government in my lifetime.

Jericholyte2

Markets are in free fall and the pound is under $1.10, but the libtards are angry so WIN WIN WIN!!!

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Gone under $1.09 now - trying for parity before the end of the day?

Former US Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers has blasted the economic policies being adopted by Liz Truss, and warned that the pound could tumble below parity against the US dollar.

Summers gave a blistering condemnation of the UK government, speaking on Bloomberg Television’s “Wall Street Week” with David Westin.

“It makes me very sorry to say, but I think the UK is behaving a bit like an emerging market turning itself into a submerging market.
“Between Brexit, how far the Bank of England got behind the curve and now these fiscal policies, I think Britain will be remembered for having pursuing the worst macroeconomic policies of any major country in a long time.”

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
With this being a cataclysmic failure already, is Truss ever going to have to answer for it?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Former US Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers has blasted the economic policies being adopted by Liz Truss, and warned that the pound could tumble below parity against the US dollar.

Summers gave a blistering condemnation of the UK government, speaking on Bloomberg Television’s “Wall Street Week” with David Westin.
Larry is no mug. The UK has been on the path of self destruction since 2016.

cyberman

So she’s blitzing the country to get her mates paid and leave Labour an impossible job that the media will use to get them out in 2 election cycles time..right?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
well I've given up hope of seeing another Labour Government in my lifetime.
well you have been called hopeless before today, that's true.

Whilst it doesn't mean too much, but for the record, the bookies have Starmer 8/11 on favourite to be PM after the next election, Truss 5/4 against.

That's way too low in my opinion for Truss, I think it's doubtful whether she'll even be leader of her party by then.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
well you have been called hopeless before today, that's true.

Whilst it doesn't mean too much, but for the record, the bookies have Starmer 8/11 on favourite to be PM after the next election, Truss 5/4 against.

That's way too low in my opinion for Truss, I think it's doubtful whether she'll even be leader of her party by then.
I think she’s going to struggle to hold the party together over the next few months. A lot of back benchers are going to be fuming with them for this. How are they going to sell it to their consistencies?

She doesn’t have a mandate for any of this.

Smores

I think she’s going to struggle to hold the party together over the next few months. A lot of back benchers are going to be fuming with them for this. How are they going to sell it to their consistencies?

Don't the people who vote Tory usually love tax cuts? They're fine with those richer than them getting more as long as those poorer than them get less.

marktan

Cost of living crisis, inflation running rampant.. and their solution is.. cut taxes that largely benefit the rich in the faux idea that the extra wealth will somehow find its way into the economy.

Has the housing price pump led to higher growth rates?

I mean I'm fairly sure they all know this and are just giving one last hand out to their mates before they hit the curb.

I just hope Starmer has the balls to change the voting system to one that doesn't overwhelmingly benefit the Conservatives every election. That weve had like 30 out of the last 40 years of Conservatives in power has done a hell of a lot of damage to the country.

Flying high

Quite a few tory MPs will moan in the press, but they'll still follow the whip.

I expect a couple of defections from the red wall seat MPs, but nothing like the 30+(?) required.

I do think they might reach a point where an early election would put everyone out of their misery. The tories don't have the luxury of hiding while all this blows over, as they have tried all summer. People will be expecting leadership from the new PM and I just don't think she's up to it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't the people who vote Tory usually love tax cuts? They're fine with those richer than them getting more as long as those poorer than them get less.
A sizable number of their votes came from non traditional Tory voters. She has effectively thrown the Red Wall MPs under the bus. They are fecked.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Bloomberg lead. I'm sure they'll try and spin it that that we're in the midst of a big global selloff, with the S&P 500 down 1.6%, gold, oil and pretty much everything falling etc...but there does seem to be a pretty broadly felt loss of confidence in the management of the economy, which is surely dangerous. Only the diehard ideologues are supporting the mini-budget.

The UK Is Really Trading Like an Emerging Market Right Now

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lly-trading-like-an-emerging-market-right-now

Fully Fledged

So she’s blitzing the country to get her mates paid and leave Labour an impossible job that the media will use to get them out in 2 election cycles time..right?
Labour need to go for PR to keep these B'stards from ever getting this much power again.

If they win a majority I can't see Labour doing it but it's the only way to stop the Tories from destroying this country to line their own pockets.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Labour need to go for PR to keep these B'stards from ever getting this much power again.

If they win a majority I can't see Labour doing it but it's the only way to stop the Tories from destroying this country to line their own pockets.
‘There is literally zero chance Labour will ever go for PR. It makes too much sense.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Bloomberg lead. I'm sure they'll try and spin it that that we're in the midst of a big global selloff, with the S&P 500 down 1.6%, gold, oil and pretty much everything falling etc...but there does seem to be a pretty broadly felt loss of confidence in the management of the economy, which is surely dangerous. Only the diehard ideologues are supporting the mini-budget.

The UK Is Really Trading Like an Emerging Market Right Now

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lly-trading-like-an-emerging-market-right-now

What I have seen little mention of is that if the UK were still in the EU, then there may be some hope of investment in the country in the future.

Why on earth would anyone want to invest in the UK as an isolated country? Lower tax on less turnover and thus less profits is meaningless.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

She does not have a mandate, which could actually be her excuse to call an early election. It would be a huge gamble but it would pre-empt any brewing revolt among her own MPs and give her a chance to ask for 'backing from the nation' before the full shitshow emerges. She'll have to be bloody quick in that case, and I doubt she's got the brains to think it all through, but someone might. Kwateng is a wanker but he's not an idiot.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
She does not have a mandate, which could actually be her excuse to call an early election. It would be a huge gamble but it would pre-empt any brewing revolt among her own MPs and give her a chance to ask for 'backing from the nation' before the full shitshow emerges. She'll have to be bloody quick in that case, and I doubt she's got the brains to think it all through, but someone might. Kwateng is a wanker but he's not an idiot.
Suicide if she does that. I’d be surprised if the party let her as a lot of them know they will be out of their cushty £90k a year job. I’m not talking just the red wall either reports suggest some very high profile names will lose their seats.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Suicide if she does that. I’d be surprised if the party let her as a lot of them know they will be out of their cushty £90k a year job. I’m not talking just the red wall either reports suggest some very high profile names will lose their seats.
hopefully :)

The thing with the election timing though is which would giver her the best chance, call it soon or wait til the end?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Feels like the last gasp attempt to siphon more money to vested interests before they are turfed out into the political wilderness for a decade.
  • Massive energy company profits - who do they all take money from / used to work for / will go to work for?
  • Make sure anyone earning over £150k per annum gets a tax break to the tune of £10k-£20k per annum
  • Uncapping banker's bonuses for their mates and former colleagues in the city.
It's obvious, transparent, and disgusting. They know a monster recession is coming which they hope they can hide by bumping GDP and letting the city perform well, hiding the massive reduction in national living standards by pointing at some arbitrary numbers that show "the country is booming" while services, and standards all dip and people die.

That's not hyperbole, people will continue to die in record numbers in this country due to these soulless corrupt ghouls. I truly hope they all catch horrible illnesses and have to suffer the indignity of those in A&E hallways. feck them all.

Example, I got a text from my GP two days ago telling me there was a message at reception, spent 90 minutes, yes 90 mins, waiting to get through. I get through and they tell me the message is to book an appointment with reception. Ask the receptionist if I can book an appointment - "erm, no appointments until 17th October...."

Luckily I am only waiting for guidance on some meds, so I go into the surgery the next day and queue for forty mins to just ask them to prescribe the meds anyway without advice. An old woman behind me collapses in the queue. The woman says she will ask my doctor to call me. The doctor texts me verbatim "I've sent the meds to your usual pharmacy...." on a number I can't reply to. The kicker - I've never been prescribed meds by this surgery so have no clue which pharmacy of the five in my town has them.

The system is broken and they are all laughing at you. Laughing. Kwasi Kwarteng got coked up and went to the Queen's funeral so he can give epic bants in whatsapp groups and all laugh at our expense. You have 20-something MP's under investigation for SA. There is cocaine on every surface in Westminster. They partied while we were locked down. They gave their mates billions of your money for PPE that our nurses couldn't use.

At what point do we drag them out of office by their hair and put them on show trials?

I am so angry.
Spot on, every last word is exactly how I feel. Surely it is time to take to the streets now?
If King Charles III uses his power of royal prerogative to dissolve parliament, then I will pledge my allegiance to the monarch for the rest of my life.

And I bloody hate the royals too.

Mon Charlie, take the throne and use your powers to clean out the scum. Lock up every tory minister in prison too while you're at it and throw away the keys. Or bring back public executions and hang them one by one.
I fully support this, Id happily pull the lever, for free all day every day until the job was done.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's scary that there's a possibility they might still win with a minority next election.
Whenever is the next election is surely it needs to be soon? They've reneged on so many of their manifesto pledges that this government has pretty much zero mandate now?!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
How long before a vote of no confidence is tabled then? What gets me is how distant all this shite is from the manifesto they were elected on. They've gone completely off-piste and people are rightly pissed off.

TheGame

How long before a vote of no confidence is tabled then? What gets me is how distant all this shite is from the manifesto they were elected on. They've gone completely off-piste and people are rightly pissed off.
The VONC won’t win. It will be Turkeys voting for Xmas. Backbench Tory MPs know they are fecked but there ain’t much they can do about it.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Suicide if she does that. I’d be surprised if the party let her as a lot of them know they will be out of their cushty £90k a year job. I’m not talking just the red wall either.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What is going to be really interesting is the level of Tory MPs who will be unhappy enough to actually vote against this budget. Not enough to force rejection. But maybe enough to give Liz Truss something of a bloody nose.