Westminster Politics

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Starmer trying desperately hard not to burst out laughing at PMQs, can't believe his luck he's got Truss across the house for next two years.

This is massive open goal for Labour now, let's hope they hit the target this time.

Fingeredmouse

Little wonder we're stuck in a perpetual spiral of Tory doom, death and destruction with people thinking shit like that. Feels endless and it's depressing as feck. fecking using shite like 'Jezbelloh'. It's a disgrace.
I assume you are unfamiliar with Sun's oeuvre then?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Starmer trying desperately hard not to burst out laughing at PMQs, can't believe his luck he's got Truss across the house for next two years.

This is massive open goal for Labour now, let's hope they hit the target this time.
Yeah… let’s see how that turns out.

Anything other than controlled opposition would stroll into power over the next year. Let’s see.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Labour have had open goals for the past 7 years at least. Trouble is every time they are through on goal they run back down the other end and put the ball in their own net.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Im very critical of Starmer for a number of reasons but one thing he’s excellent at it cross examination as per his background. He’s forensic and tied Johnson in knots a number of times. His main problem though is that he’s just not very good at getting snappy one liners in or making the jabs land and resonate. So his meticulous taking down of his opposite number is great if you enjoy long form politics and enjoy watching it unfold and understand what is actually going on but it’s also then forgotten when BBC turns over from PMQs because then show a “balanced” version of events which is one win for Starmer and one win for his opposite number. Obviously this isn’t balanced at all if Starmer has twenty significant “wins” and his opponent just the one.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Im very critical of Starmer for a number of reasons but one thing he’s excellent at it cross examination as per his background. He’s forensic and tied Johnson in knots a number of times. His main problem though is that he’s just not very good at getting snappy one liners in or making the jabs land and resonate. So his meticulous taking down of his opposite number is great if you enjoy long form politics and enjoy watching it unfold and understand what is actually going on but it’s also then forgotten when BBC turns over from PMQs because then show a “balanced” version of events which is one win for Starmer and one win for his opposite number. Obviously this isn’t balanced at all if Starmer has twenty significant “wins” and his opponent just the one.
Advantage Johnson has over Truss in that scenario is the soundbites like "captain hindsight" are lapped up by right wing media. I don't see Truss consistantly capable of putting out those lines especially with the economic situation we're going into. Mind you I did chuckle about her North London jibe at Labour.

We're pretty much in 2008/09 terrority now. Economic climate plummeting, one party in number 10 for over a decade and general fatigue so Labour is much nearer getting into power than any point under Corbyn even if they're going to need some support but that's nothing new.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Advantage Johnson has over Truss in that scenario is the soundbites like "captain hindsight" are lapped up by right wing media. I don't see Truss consistantly capable of putting out those lines especially with the economic situation we're going into. Mind you I did chuckle about her North London jibe at Labour.

We're pretty much in 2008/09 terrority now. Economic climate plummeting, one party in number 10 for over a decade and general fatigue so Labour is much nearer getting into power than any point under Corbyn even if they're going to need some support but that's nothing new.
Jibes like captain hindsight aren’t off the cuff remarks that just so happen to land, they’re carefully planned by their advisors and script writers and crowbarred into their responses. The right wing media are in cahoots with Johnson’s team and the drilling home of soundbites like that is a pincer action repetition by both the traditional media and the many bot networks that are a cancer to social media.

Smores

Branding this the Truss Tax is a good tactic. That's the kind of thing that works, however after this initial uproar people will just be happy their bills are not going up. Make the most of it as a character attack that sticks as a judgement.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
They will be written and created for her by speech writers / political advisers.

And in turn the right-wing media will propel them out and create a character for her.

Boycott

Only difference from that PMQs is Truss seems to be an open believer in trickle down economics whereas Johnson had that as his governing philosophy but disguised it under vague populist soundbites. He was also against a windfall tax when it was raised at PMQs months ago but quickly moved on without explaining whereas Truss defended her opposition to it as putting off investment even as the companies make record profits.

Flying high

Only difference from that PMQs is Truss seems to be an open believer in trickle down economics whereas Johnson had that as his governing philosophy but disguised it under vague populist soundbites. He was also against a windfall tax when it was raised at PMQs months ago but quickly moved on without explaining whereas Truss defended her opposition to it as putting off investment even as the companies make record profits.
Truss has already made mistakes, but this could prove crucial.

Even with their press handlers giving it both barrels over the next couple of years, I don't think they can pursuade enough people to fall for that trickle down bollocks again.

Balljy

The word balanced is the issue the BBC have. It's written in the charter that they have to be balanced and show both sides to have an equal argument. The word should have read impartial as they then could just tell the news as it is, rather than be forced to make everything seem equal.

Nicky Campbell has been very vocal about this on radio 5 and wants it changed, but I'm pretty sure that when the charter was written it was agreed by the government for that reason.

stepic

Why are you brits so shit at getting a half decent government? Was Gordon Brown and Labour really that fecking bad that you are going into your 13th year of Tory led bullshit?
media is largely to blame, given the fact most voters can barely manage any critical thought and just react to whatever the press delivers

neverdie

Why are you brits so shit at getting a half decent government? Was Gordon Brown and Labour really that fecking bad that you are going into your 13th year of Tory led bullshit?
they were in office when the crash happened. it was the gop in america. whoever was in office at that time, by and large, got the blame for it in their host country. the irony is that they all deserved some of the blame but that the opposition party is just as terrible. truthfully, most democracies now offer very little choice between the parties that can *realistically* be elected. there is some, a country like france is better than britain or america for example, but overall the picture is bleak and that's a feature of democracy, or has been for the past four decades.

if labour were in office, they'd be doing more or less the same thing. starmer went to the centres of business and asked them "what do you want from me as labour leader". that's his default attitude. if he was to ask business' opinion and then weigh it against the overall public good, that would be something else, but i think it's clear by now that he's another version of blair without the economic base to back it up. he was elected on corbyn's manifesto. corbyn but not corbyn was the pledge; corbyn like manifesto but different personality and "healing". commenced a purge of the "left" and said pledge is long since broken.

two shades of the same shit and it's called capital(ism).

neverdie

it's like when obama became president and racism ended forever in america. they prefer to dress up their really non-representative operation with the symbolic veneer of representation. it's only this which keeps people looking toward politicians at all. as soon as you check out of the personality cults and party partisanship, the game is over.

Fluctuation0161

Blair illegal wars lost alot of votes after Brown. The right wing media don't help.

Classical Mechanic

FPTP. It has created a two party system where loons can hijack one of the two of those parties and attain near absolute power with 25% of the UK voting for them.

DavelinaJolie

Since Brexit and Cameron's resignation I've repeatedly thought well I guess it can't be worse and each appointment since has shown how fecking wrong I am.

Jesus fecking Christ.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
It’s been well over 24hrs since Liz Trut (for the Dutch speakers in ear) became PM and still nobody has asked the most important question: wuddya?