Westminster Politics

Fingeredmouse

Why would she, or any Tory, call an election before they're forced to considering the current situation?
Because if the party turns on her, which is likely, she can call a GE which would be her last desperate roll of the dice.

Edit: As @sun_tzu put it earlier:

"it seems down to if the conservative MP's will move against her - would seem crazy with such a sort premiership but a bad conference and who knows?
or will she have to call an early GE simply to stop them ousting her"

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I would hardly call JRM PR savvy. You only have to look at the way he dresses. Like an overgrown schoolboy.
And he makes no bones about the fact that he thinks that he is oh so much more clever than everyone else.
The guy is a throwback to the Victorian era when they used to send little boys up to clean the chimneys.
He is a typical Tory Toff.
He’s incredibly PR savvy - for all the reasons you’ve just listed.

His image is a careful PR creation, an ‘eccentric’ overly English caricature. A brand.

A novelty figure for the plebs to laugh at while they ravage the country. A bit like… hmm… BORIS JOHNSON.

Trust me, Truss isn’t the PM they’ll go into the next election with, and I very much doubt they ever planned her to be.

It’ll be some ‘personality politician’ like a Johnson, Rees Mogg etc.

And they’ll win.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Thanks for that! I could watch another 20 hours of Sus Truss and Crazy Kwasi getting night soil planted on them.

They denied their mini budget was connected to the bank intervention, and I see now they're hiding. Works in the US, but I was under the impression the British don't put up with that.

Player Red

It may have passed me by, but has there ever been any coverage of the fact Truss and Kwarteng were once in a relationship?

MoskvaRed

His image is a careful PR creation, an ‘eccentric’ overly English caricature. A brand.

A novelty figure for the plebs to laugh at while they ravage the country. A bit like… hmm… BORIS JOHNSON.

Trust me, Truss isn’t the PM they’ll go into the next election with, and I very much doubt they ever planned her to be.

And they’ll win.
JRM is certainly playing the role of the eccentric old-fashioned Toff but he lacks Johnson’s rogueish appeal. However, I never imagined Truss would be PM or that we’d have a Chancellor nicknamed Kamikwaze so I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of JRM being the next circle of hell into which we are forced to descend by the morons who vote for these people.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It may have passed me by, but has there ever been any coverage of the fact Truss and Kwarteng were once in a relationship?
I dont think thats ever been made official so may or may not be Westminster gossip
Kwarteng was in a relationship with Amber Rudd which was public knowledge
as is the fact that Truss had an affair with Mark Field

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

And they’ll win.
They didn't plan anything. The geriatric Tory members voted for Truss against the wishes of the majority of Tory MPS. I agree they will have a new leader though, planned or not.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

And they’ll win.
Rees Moog isn't playing a role, he is genuinely like that.

Have it first hand from a Tory MP that he is like that wherever he goes, at home, in the car, at work.

He is most definitely not playing a role.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

And they’ll win.
That’s just not the case at all, JRM is exactly the Victorian era relic that he appears to be.

Just like Boris is an actual buffoon, and Trump is a moron, and Truss is an IQ vacuum.

These people are not playing 4D chess, they’re just a bunch of fecking cnuts.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This. 100% this.

I actually reckon it’s plausible they’ve done this on purpose for her to take the fall and will then implement a more press savvy leader to ‘change the narrative’ and win the next GE - as with May and Johnson.

The Tories are VERY good at playing the British public and getting voted back in repeatedly - and Truss is TOO bad.
A few months ago people were saying we needed Boris to stay until the next GE because the next Tory PM would steady the ship.

We're far beyond scraping the bottom of the barrel now, who's even left to replace Truss?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Phenomenal polling news and I'm delighted a complete and utter landslide has fallen into the lap of someone who'll make wholesale political changes that will benefit generations to come.
I’ll just take anyone other than the Tories thanks. At least you can be dogmatic and idealistic and it won’t matter this time.

Dobba

I’ll just take anyone other than the Tories thanks. At least you can be dogmatic and idealistic and it won’t matter this time.
Idealistic? That YouGov poll has them with a majority not seen outside an election organised by Robert Mugabe. On what planet are you settling for the bare minimum in that scenario? Forget calling other people dogmatic or idealistic, if your response to an overnight one party state is complete indifference to what they'll do with it, you're pathetic.

If even the slightest left leaning government imaginable has a quite literal blank cheque, nobody should be homeless or hungry for the next 50 years after that polling day. You're just happy for 'not the Tories'.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Idealistic? That YouGov poll has them with a majority not seen outside an election organised by Robert Mugabe. On what planet are you settling for the bare minimum in that scenario? Forget calling other people dogmatic or idealistic, if your response to an overnight one party state is complete indifference to what they'll do with it, you're pathetic.

If even the slightest left leaning government imaginable has a quite literal blank cheque, nobody should be homeless or hungry for the next 50 years after that polling day. You're just happy for 'not the Tories'.
The trouble is that they won’t get into power with a left wing mandate.

The plan to move the Overton window all the way over to the left in one election isn’t feasible. You need to do what the right did - drag it over one election at a time.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

The plan to move the Overton window all the way over to the left in one election isn’t feasible. You need to do what the right did - drag it over one election at a time.
This is why the Tories manage to ruin the country, they’re pragmatic whilst the left whine about not having the perfect person to vote for so they’ll stay at home and cry about it rather than working towards an end goal.

It’s the same in the US, with the Bernie bros who voted Harambe because Hillary wasn’t good enough for them so they’ll quietly play a role in Trump getting elected, meanwhile the cuntbag GOP play the long game and over 30 years have taken over the judicial system with bible bashing judges and achieved the goal of overturning Roe.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is why the Tories manage to ruin the country, they’re pragmatic whilst the left whine about not having the perfect person to vote for so they’ll stay at home and cry about it rather than working towards an end goal.

It’s the same in the US, with the Bernie bros who voted Harambe because Hillary wasn’t good enough for them so they’ll quietly play a role in Trump getting elected, meanwhile the cuntbag GOP play the long game and over 30 years have taken over the judicial system with bible bashing judges and achieved the goal of overturning Roe.
Ding ding ding.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Pathetic

Boycott

Idealistic? That YouGov poll has them with a majority not seen outside an election organised by Robert Mugabe. On what planet are you settling for the bare minimum in that scenario?
And if the polling was not going well what would you be saying then. There is no need to be so hysterical all the time. It's as if you would want Labour to lose to prove a point.

Dobba

In fairness, turning a multi-three figure majority into 'we better hold off on changing anything meaningful for at least five years time' is the most Starmer thing imaginable.

Thanks for another perfect example of why you do things the second you get a majority, let alone anything close to these polls. Obama had multiple opportunities to do something about the judicial system over there. Trump turns up and manages to do it in one term, despite being a fecking moron who hadn't got a clue what he was doing.

Sweet Square

Last edited:

Dobba

It took a lot longer than that. Which is the point.
It'll have taken Labour 20 years to get back in government and you want them to turn a Mugabe level majority into five years of rearranging the deckchairs so not to startle the Overton Window gazers too much?

Nick Clegg even had more ambition that that. He managed to turn one term in a half job into completely fecking the NHS, ensuring no student would vote for his party ever again and life destroying austerity.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It'll have taken Labour 20 years to get back in government and you want them to turn a Mugabe level majority into five years of rearranging the deckchairs so not to startle the Overton Window gazers too much?
You’re conflating what people want to happen with what people are willing to accept in the hope of going further in time.

Boycott

In fairness, turning a multi-three figure majority into 'we better hold off on changing anything meaningful for at least five years time' is the most Starmer thing imaginable.
No offence but you seem to be the kind of person who gets all their takes from twitter. Did you watch any of the conference speeches? Do you pay attention to PMQs and parliamentary motion put forward such as when a windfall tax was shut down by the tories at the top of the year?

Pandering to the twitter crowd of people does not work. If you followed the 2019 election on there it was a shock that a landslide win didn't happen for Labour. There was no better youth turnout than usual. I agree with Corbyn on most things, voted for him both times, and defended him on here. But he was not popular and there's no point pretending otherwise.

Dobba

You’re conflating what people want to happen with what people are willing to accept in the hope of going further in time.
Once again, why on earth would you be in politics if your first thought on gaining a Mugabe level majority was to be petrified of doing too much because of an election five years away? The Lib Dems managed to completely feck over an entire generation (and in terms of their vote share a good two or three more) in one term even involving things they'd not just not campaigned on but categorically ruled out during the negotiations that got them power in the first place. But Starmer has to play slowly, slowly catchy monkey with a majority not even Jo Swinson dreamt she'd get.

As I alluded to, the only person in British (if not world) politics in the last 50 years who would turn this potential majority into the least transformative political term imaginable (good or bad) is the guy whose lap it is falling into. And I'm supposed to sit here being delighted by that.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Kwarteng has not committed to benefits rising with inflation.

He did commit to the pension triple lock though. Got to keep the base happy!
If they remain in power I can see them doing more shitty things like freezing benefits whilst, at the same time, raising the inheritance tax threshold. Just another thing to feck everyone's lives up for the good of the few.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Listening to some of those radio interviews, it's not that Truss is evil or a bad person. It's that she genuinely has no idea about anything she's talking about, or how damaging last Friday was for the UK. She has programmed responses and gets exposed as incompetent every time she speaks.