Westminster Politics

Honest John

Gove will marmalise Johnson if it comes down to those two. My money's been on Gove for months, and I'm quietly confident. :nervous:

Not a chance Johnson is the darling of the membership.

He's pretty much a dead cert PM now barring a complete and utter disaster (which it has to be said BJ is more than capable of)

Fergies Gum

Gove will marmalise Johnson if it comes down to those two. My money's been on Gove for months, and I'm quietly confident. :nervous:
Johnson's camp want to face Hunt in the final, so it wouldn't surprise me if we see some shenanigans (vote lending) take place in the next ballot.

Smores

Hoping Labour immediately put down a vote of no confidence against BoJo to test whether he actually has the confidence of the house. That's supposed to be a prerequisite for May to approach the queen anyway so it should be tested.

I imagine he would win as the weak willed Tories opposed to his leadership will stand behind giving him a chance.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hoping Labour immediately put down a vote of no confidence against BoJo to test whether he actually has the confidence of the house. That's supposed to be a prerequisite for May to approach the queen anyway so it should be tested.

I imagine he would win as the weak willed Tories opposed to his leadership will stand behind giving him a chance.
A vote of no confidence in the house is different to what it was pre-Brexit Party and post May’s departure. No Tories are going to vote against him with the thinking that a new leader would unite the Tories and win a GE.

He’s the one that has been chosen to unite the Tories and he wouldn’t win a GE with the Brexit party syphoning off so many votes.

He’ll do another deal with the DUP and votes will be along party lines.

Honest John

Slightly conflicting message there HJ, I've taken this as a positive.
I'm saying he is pretty much home and dry. Photo on the No. 10 staircase wall. Unless he shoots himself majorly in the foot, which isn't beyond the realms of possibilities with Boris.

Smores

A vote of no confidence in the house is different to what it was pre-Brexit Party and post May’s departure. No Tories are going to vote against him with the thinking that a new leader would unite the Tories and win a GE.

He’s the one that has been chosen to unite the Tories and he wouldn’t win a GE with the Brexit party syphoning off so many votes.

He’ll do another deal with the DUP and votes will be along party lines.
That's what I'm expecting. They'll hold fire (they being the rebel tories) until it looks like he makes a push for no deal and then they'll either side with Labour in various motions or a full blown VONC.

Still we all know what's going to happen so they could save us the bother.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That's what I'm expecting. They'll hold fire (they being the rebel tories) until it looks like he makes a push for no deal and then they'll either side with Labour in various motions or a full blown VONC.

Still we all know what's going to happen so they could save us the bother.
Suspect the conservatives might roll the dice on a snap election... Deselect any non hard brexit conservatives and hope that taking a hard brexit stance wins enough votes back from the brexit party (combined with the quite likley new leader bounce in the polls) and change the Westminster maths to say the election is the manadte for a hard brexit and push it thriugh

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

In relation to all the arguments pertaining to housing and the like where young people are cast off as being fiscally irresponsible and just not saving enough.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

In relation to all the arguments pertaining to housing and the like where young people are cast off as being fiscally irresponsible and just not saving enough.
All that avocado toast, though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not hard to believe that Boris has organised a group of his disciples to push Hunt ahead of Gove.

Boris will have a lot less trouble going up against a remainer than he will a Murdoch backer Brexiteer, even if it is Gove.

vidic blood & sand

Bore off with your thinly veiled prejudice/racism, every thread it's the same daily mail logic of what a phobia is with you lot. Can only imagine you all read it on Britain First and thought it was clever.

Most of us non-muslims (and yes you only speak on behalf of a particular subset) do care about the abuse any of our fellow citizens get whether that's because the colour of their skin or religion. Tories have a huge issue with racism let's not pretend otherwise.
Thinly veiled prejudice?

If people are being targeting with hate because of their religion, then surely the reason for that hate should be analysed.
What do you suppose is the cause of Islamophobia, and why other religions are not targeted?

vidic blood & sand

:houllier:

Anyway. As a "non-muslim," I do care about islamophobia. I live in a multi cultural city with a multicultural family that includes non-practising Muslims. I'd like to think that our government doesn't treat them or think of them as any different to the rest of society.
Why would they?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
When will BoJo be officially made the PM then? I drunkenly put 10 quid on him to get the job and I want my money back.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
GDaly95 said:
When will BoJo be officially made the PM then? I drunkenly put 10 quid on him to get the job and I want my money back.
Bung him a few more quid and he'll give you a cabinet post.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Does parliament have to be open for him to officially become pm?

Think the conservative election won't be finished before summer recess... So reopens on early September... Probably then
Shuts down again mid sept till early October

Very little time for anything to come before the house of commons in terms of legistlation

MoskvaRed

The Tory party members won’t accept another ex-Remainer leading their sacred cause and so we’ll finally catch up with the likes of the US, Hungary and Brazil in having a populist charlatan in charge. The only slight glimmer of hope is that, with such a polarising, incompetent figure, there is more chance of a vote of no confidence succeeding in the HoC than with Hunt or Gove.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He probably realises whoever takes the UK through brexit will end up politically radioactive. (Plus he has no cabinet experience)
Suspect he will find himself a cushy number for backing Boris (chancellor?)
All ready to move next door in a couple of years
Yeah fair point

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It's very concerning that that is all it took to provoke a man into putting his hands on a woman like that. Look at the state of him. If that had been a man I guarantee he'd have done feck all but sit in his chair moping and fantasising about killing poor people. Obviously, he feels brave enough to tackle a woman though.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Indeed. Had the unarmed woman protesting against the lack of action in response to climate change instead being a bomb/acid/gun wielding terrorist, we would be praising the right honourable Mark Field for his immeasurable bravery. Really makes you think, doesn't it?