Westminster Politics

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
He showed too much temper to be an elected politician and he was wrong even if he wasn't a politician, but she did provoke him by going where she wasn't invited and knew she wouldn't be wanted. I think opinions have been swayed somewhat because people think her cause is righteous, but what she was campaigning for isn't actually relevant, it could just as easily have been to repeal the hunting with dogs bill or for immediate hard brexit, she should have stayed outside.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What kind of person apologises unreservedly AND uses a "but..." excuse? A cock womble, that's who.

Honest John

He seems to have used disproportionate force to the perceived threat. No-one else felt it was necessary to physically remove the woman. The initial shove was aggressive.
Where was security?

If someone like that advanced on the POTUS there would have been a big pile of burly men with a two arms and two legs sticking out of the sides.

CallyRed

Way over the top. Should have atleast offered her a seat and a drink first.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If someone like that advanced on the POTUS there would have been a big pile of burly men with a two arms and two legs sticking out of the sides.
A woman in a red dress? Sure POTUS wouldn't have grabbed her by the...?

Smores

So what was supposed to happen, just let her have Carte Blanche & no one do anything? Ok.
Because the only two options in your mind are 'grab by the throat' and 'do nothing'?

Do you have anger issues or something that you can't see a reasonable middle ground that resolves the situation without physical intervention.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Because the only two options in your mind are 'grab by the throat' and 'do nothing'?

Do you have anger issues or something that you can't see a reasonable middle ground that resolves the situation without physical intervention.
When in doubt kick her in the cnut... equality and all that
Will be interesting to see if the police think hes broken the law (unreasonable force etc) - if so it seems pretty cut and dried but if not it raises the question do we hold those in public office to different legal standards
in hindsight hes probably brought far more attention to their cause (and probably killed his own political future) with his actions - basically hes an idiot and it seems no harm was caused to the lady in the end so as I say will be interesting to see how it plays out

Strachans Cigar

‘Grab by the throat’ - no he didn’t. He turned her round toward the exit and held the back of her neck before frog matching her away. That is a subtle -but very important- difference from what you are alleging.

Ok you’re in that position, potential loon heading towards the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Split second to react, without multiple reruns on YouTube beforehand -as he wasn’t looking at her whilst she was on her way- so, what do you do then?

Not exactly got involved in a Rugby scrum here, his hands all over her baps has he?

If the roles were reversed and it was a Pro- hunting protester and Corbyn, I just wonder whether the RedCafe Judiciary would be projecting the same views? Somehow, I doubt it.

And in any case, she’s come out and said she doesn’t think it is Criminal Assault.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Mark Field was clearly fuming and couldn't bare the thought of them getting one over the room.

Wonder what would happen if they'd done that to him, and if he would've pressed charges?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Bleurrrgghh... They’re all so fecking loathsome. And, dare I say it, quintessentially British?
Really insightful and I think it gets to the heart of what drives British society, the Class system.

Also indicative of the response some on here have had towards Mark Field. "She shouldn't have been there" - so he was completely fine in pushing her out.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
And in any case, she’s come out and said she doesn’t think it is Criminal Assault.
Her opinion hardly constitutes a legal verdict. A former Chief Prosecutor in the UK has already tweeted that he believes it is 'no question' that it is assault and should be charged as such. It's clear that the MP had no reason to believe that she posed a threat to him, as a longer video of the event evidences.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
She should not have been there in the first place, feck her.
If that was the case then why was there no security to stop all of them.
It was a typical expensive event where the so called upper class were there to listen to the worlds most boring MP Hammond tell the invited audience how wonderful he is as chancellor and get a typical stage managed applause.
Then sit down and stuff your face. Bunch of despicable people who have done nothing of any note.
How fantastic for the climate change protesters to spoil the night.

Conservative Party Leader candidate Boris Johnson alleged row with girlfriend Carrie Symonds

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He's got the PM job in the bag.

Apparently the police initially denied that this happened but then admitted that it did after they realized that the press already had a fair bit of info:

A bit worrying that they denied it initially.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Apparently the police initially denied that this happened but then admitted that it did after they realized that the press already had a fair bit of info:

A bit worrying that they denied it initially.
I think the key passage is
.The neighbour said they recorded the altercation from inside their flat out of concern for Symonds. On the recording, heard by the Guardian, Johnson can be heard refusing to leave the flat and telling Symonds to “get off my fecking laptop” before there is a loud crashing noise.
wtf kinda shit was on his laptop

Strachans Cigar

Her opinion hardly constitutes a legal verdict. A former Chief Prosecutor in the UK has already tweeted that he believes it is 'no question' that it is assault and should be charged as such. It's clear that the MP had no reason to believe that she posed a threat to him, as a longer video of the event evidences.
Don’t really accept that version of events, but let’s assume you are correct:

Ok, the next time a ground steward runs after a pitch invader and grabs them by the back of the neck & frogmarches them off the pitch & out of OT in similar fashion, let’s charge them with assault then? After all, the steward isn’t being threatened is he & he’s had a few seconds notice to react & catch the invader?

Utter nonsense. Like I say, a role reversal of left/right wing & this doesn’t even get questioned on here & you know it.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Ok, the next time a ground steward runs after a pitch invader and grabs them by the back of the neck & frogmarches them off the pitch & out of OT in similar fashion, let’s charge them with assault then? After all, the steward isn’t being threatened is he & he’s had a few seconds notice to react & catch the invader?

Utter nonsense. Like I say, a role reversal of left/right wing & this doesn’t even get questioned on here & you know it.
Don't be such a clown. Violence against women transcends your ideological views. At least, it should do. If I saw a man do that a woman, my first thought would not be 'hmm, should I intervene, or perhaps the aggressor is a left wing figure in which case it's perfectly fine'.

And I admire the audacity in responding that you 'don't really accept that version of events' when given a legal opinion by a former Chief Prosecutor, simply because it undermines your argument.

Oldyella

It's a ground stewards job, but I dare say if he restrained a female pitch invader in the same way, he would have been criticised at the very least. Bizarre that people are trying to defend this.

Strachans Cigar

Don't be such a clown. Violence against women transcends your ideological views. At least, it should do. If I saw a man do that a woman, my first thought would not be 'hmm, should I intervene, or perhaps the aggressor is a left wing figure in which case it's perfectly fine'.

And I admire the audacity in responding that you 'don't really accept that version of events' when given a legal opinion by a former Chief Prosecutor, simply because it undermines your argument.
No, because if the woman was armed for instance is a man not allowed to use any violent means whatsoever to stop her then in that situation solely because of her sex?

...& yeah, that’s ONE legal opinion you’ve referred to, not all of them.

Anyway, I know what you lot are like on here, you’ll argue forever & I won’t, so I’m happy for those powers that be to hand out any ‘justice’ in this & make any recommendations. Just glad it’s not you lot making those judgements as they would likely be skewed by your politics as evidenced by most of the viewpoints expressed. Good night ;)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ive seen various people now on social media defend Field’s actions and I genuinely can’t fathom it. Put yourself in that position, would you genuinely react like that and manhandle a random woman? Personally I wouldn’t act that familiar and disrespectful with my girlfriend if we’d had a long and protracted busy up let alone a woman I’ve never laid eyes on before who walked into the room barely a few minutes before.

If you really want to gauge how appropriate his actions are, watch the reaction of every woman in that video.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No, because if the woman was armed for instance is a man not allowed to use any violent means whatsoever to stop her then in that situation solely because of her sex?

Anyway, I know what you lot are like on here, you’ll argue forever & I won’t, so I’m happy for those powers that be to hand out any ‘justice’ in this & make any recommendations. Just glad it’s not you lot making those judgements as they would likely be skewed by your politics as evidenced by most of the viewpoints expressed. Good night ;)
Omg what if that woman in the flowing red dress with her entire arms and shoulders exposed could have been concealing a weapon. Shapiro’s night in shining armour.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

She was walking past him when he grabbed her, maybe you have poor eyesight. What was he scared of , her brushing his arm with a leaflet. And if you call me a leftie I'll brush you with a leaflet too.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
She should not have been there in the first place, feck her.
Someone being somewhere they maybe shouldn't be doesn't give you the right to actually and literally assault them when they're posing no danger whatsoever to you.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

But she wasn't armed. And there was no indication she was. I can't go up to someone in the street and punch them in the face because I think they might pose a threat to me and then claim it as self-defence. This was assault. Nothing less. I'm baffled people are actually trying to construe it as something else and I worry for anyone who thinks that's an acceptable way to act around someone - irrespective of the gender attacking or being attacked.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
She wasn't supposed to be there. He pushed her out, not a big deal
Or a criminal asssult as the rest of us call it.

In any case peaceful lawful protest, as this was, should be encouraged in a democracy. Even if it was trespass then physically attacking a woman is utterly wrong. Call the cops if you think an offence has occured.

Last edited: