Westminster Politics

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Boris having a shocker on LBC. Refused to call out his dad for being a selfish prick, said he wouldn’t take the knee because he doesn’t believe in gestures (it’s okay to clap for carers though) etc. Talks so much fecking waffle.

Drifter

American
Can't expect a person who as written and said some racist things to take a knee.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

One for the “how out of touch are politicians etc.” Thread.

Vernon Philander

Looks like they'll be making a large play for the younger voters this Weds, according to Sunday Times. Increased incentives for hiring under 25s, more job centres, and temp stamp duty threshold rise (I don't see how this one is helpful long term though, as it will keep prices inflated). Excerpt below.

Also, I think the tax breaks mentioned, targeted for hospitality and leisure industry, are a good idea to give that sector a boost.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
There's talk of a stamp duty freeze of upto 500k potentially being announced Wednesday.
It had better be immediate because if he says its coming in from October there will be zero transactions for 3 months
plus I'm due to buy a new house on Friday and Id like to save £20K (though would happily delay my sale and rent a nice air BnB for a few months and pocket the difference)

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
It had better be immediate because if he says its coming in from October there will be zero transactions for 3 months
plus I'm due to buy a new house on Friday and Id like to save £20K (though would happily delay my sale and rent a nice air BnB for a few months and pocket the difference)
Exactly what I was thinking as there was talk it wouldn't take effect until November. Surely many people like yourself would pull out and the market would be dead until then?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Exactly what I was thinking as there was talk it wouldn't take effect until November. Surely many people like yourself would pull out and the market would be dead until then?
Yeah and it only takes one in a chain for it all to collapse so I think it will need to be immediate otherwise there will be no sales for another 12 weeks on top of reduced sales for 12 weeks... the developers will fold under cash flow preassures if they do that

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Look at this guy wafting his wallet around buying multiple homes, probably to store all his brandy and ill gotten silver and gold stolen during his Viking raids of the taxpayers coffers.

Seriously though you'd think such a policy would have to be with immediate effect after the announcement other wise, like you say, people will just sit on their money. I don't trust this government to do anything that makes sense though.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Look at this guy wafting his wallet around buying multiple homes, probably to store all his brandy and ill gotten silver and gold stolen during his Viking raids of the taxpayers coffers.

Seriously though you'd think such a policy would have to be with immediate effect after the announcement other wise, like you say, people will just sit on their money. I don't trust this government to do anything that makes sense though.
True... and if I save 20k tax I'll probably just buy another new watch anyway
Buy yeah logically I think it needs to be with immediate effect and enough of the industry has come out and said that over the last 24 hours that i expect it probabky will be

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What do we think Rishi is going to announce today then?

£500 for everyone seems to be a strong rumour.

Stamp Duty holiday also seems very likely although this will be absolutely worthless if the minimum deposit remains at 10% and only benefit the wealthy so I wouldn’t rule it out.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Stamp Duty holiday also seems very likely although this will be absolutely worthless if the minimum deposit remains at 10% and only benefit the wealthy so I wouldn’t rule it out.
I don't know but if it's £500 worth of retail vouchers as proposed by Sky News then China will laugh it's fecking head off. Yes a few retail workers will benefit from sales commission but the bulk of the money will go abroad. In a few year's time, if that, the stuff bought will be in the bin whilst we're still paying for it through taxes. I get stimulus but the spending should be for British jobs, not Chinese and the rest.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

You what? Why are we getting 500 quid?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You what? Why are we getting 500 quid?
Theyre proposing 500 for adults and 250 for kids in vouchers which can be used at and redeemed by the hardest hit sectors. So its not going to be spent on Amazon in the huge retail firms who have been making a killing. It might be restaurants and pubs, attractions, independent shops ect.

lynchie

The £500 was the proposal from some thinktank right? I think something might come out, but it'll be a lot less than that. Maybe £50-100 to get everyone out of the house for one meal/zoo trip.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Theyre proposing 500 for adults and 250 for kids in vouchers which can be used at and redeemed by the hardest hit sectors. So its not going to be spent on Amazon in the huge retail firms who have been making a killing. It might be restaurants and pubs, attractions, independent shops ect.
Soooooo can I use it to buy the ps5?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Soooooo can I use it to buy the ps5?
Dude* asking the real question here.

*I use dude as a non gendered term since I'm about 20% sure you're a woman, but I also haven't slept in two days and that might also be confusing me. Brlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrrlrl

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Sunak just mentioned that employers would be given £1500 for apprentices over 25 (£2000 for under).

Do you think now is a good time to job hop? I'm pretty good for finances and my current position is going nowhere. I'd more than happily work and train as a web developer for the next year.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Monday to Wednesday, 50% off meals up to £10 :lol:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Should have guessed it would be tax cuts tax cuts tax cuts and no actual hand outs. Tory’s carrying out their mandate rather than reacting progressively to the situation.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
:lol: they presented it like it was incredible too, Boris sat behind nodding and smiling like he’d just solved poverty.
:lol: I know it’s just ridiculous. From working in hospitality I can tell you that a lot of places will be pissed off its Mon-Wed as they would need to open especially for it.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Nice little saving then buddy!

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
You weren't far off.