Westminster Politics

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Boris having a shocker on LBC. Refused to call out his dad for being a selfish prick, said he wouldn’t take the knee because he doesn’t believe in gestures (it’s okay to clap for carers though) etc. Talks so much fecking waffle.
I hate to defend him but unlike Cummings Stanley technically isn't doing anything wrong unless I've missed something.

FCO advice is not to travel but people still are, seen some instances on YouTube regarding travellers going to Italy as far back as a month ago.

All you will do is give up the right to any travel insurance if you fall ill, which I guess Stanley could cover anyway.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Large amount given to relatively well-off people buying houses. That amount could have been given to councils identified as having the greatest housing needs to help them build social housing. Either course of action would stimulate the economy, just that one is a hand-out to people much better off than the other.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Why not help people with their deposits so they can get on the ladder? (although I know there are already a few schemes) wouldnt that help get money moving?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why not help people with their deposits so they can get on the ladder? (although I know there are already a few schemes) wouldnt that help get money moving?
I think they are attempting to unlock the buying chain rather than get people on the ladder.

F-Red

This should in theory help deposits, no stamp duty means a saving of about £2.4k for the average house price.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think they are attempting to unlock the buying chain rather than get people on the ladder.
But Pexbo, that doesn't help me. Not that I'd buy anyway as I just moved into a new rental property last week. :lol:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It would and I'd certainly rather see the help go to first time buyers, and on an equal basis rather than the most going to the better off as he's done, but it wouldn't increase the housing supply, which is really what's needed. To do that one would have to spend on building, my preference would be low-cost housing, but even if the money were spent on more expensive new builds it would increase supply.

@Berbasbullet no, first time buyers don't pay.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
But Pexbo, that doesn't help me. Not that I'd buy anyway as I just moved into a new rental property last week. :lol:
I’m saving for a house now. Was hoping they would throw us a bone too :p

F-Red

I thought first time buyers didn't pay it? Or am I wrong?
You don't pay on the first £300k, if you live in somewhere like London and are looking to get on the ladder then this announcement will help. As @Pexbo said, this is as much about stimulating the buying chain than it is driving first time buyers.

arnie_ni

Can someone clarify for me if hospitality includes alcohol? He said hospitality but then only mentioned food?

Is the vat cut applicable to bars

ben_united

Saves me £1,700 on stamp duty when I complete in the next couple of weeks, so I'm happy.

Smores

Saves me £1,700 on stamp duty when I complete in the next couple of weeks, so I'm happy.
Yeah the temporary winners are those close to exchange as it's a nice unexpected cash bonus. For everyone else values will just rise accordingly so it only really benefits those with housing assets they can release.

Propping up housing values is a pillar of Tory policy, anyone expecting they'd focus on affordable housing is being extremely wishful.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yeah the temporary winners are those close to exchange as it's a nice unexpected cash bonus. For everyone else values will just rise accordingly so it only really benefits those with housing assets they can release.

Propping up housing values is a pillar of Tory policy, anyone expecting they'd focus on affordable housing is being extremely wishful.
Of course it is, but knowing that shouldn't prevent us from criticising them should it?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I asked for more gruel, not a discount...

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
£10 off a meal Monday to Wednesday? Think of the contributions to your deposit!
also think of the cost of accountants having to process all this separately in order to claim and keep the records to support the claim... and the extra admin time of companies to even get that info to the accountant - then the HMRC time to administer it
Suspect a number of places wont even bother as it could cost them money

Nice idea but seems a bit clunky and potentially with a high admin cost to administer correctly

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
'Imagine the state we'd be in if Corbyn had been in charge'

This article is a depressing read, for so many reasons.

But I was struck by the above comment. I'm not going to pretend that I think Corbyn was competent in the slightest but I'm struggling to see how we could have bumbled more at vital times than we have done so far? I wonder what the thought process is of this guy? Especially when it seems partly driven by his liking for the economic measures taken so far....surely one thing that can't be levelled against Corbyn, regardless of his faults, is a dislike of state intervention in the economy?

Fluctuation0161

'Imagine the state we'd be in if Corbyn had been in charge'

This article is a depressing read, for so many reasons.

But I was struck by the above comment. I'm not going to pretend that I think Corbyn was competent in the slightest but I'm struggling to see how we could have bumbled more at vital times than we have done so far? I wonder what the thought process is of this guy? Especially when it seems partly driven by his liking for the economic measures taken so far....surely one thing that can't be levelled against Corbyn, regardless of his faults, is a dislike of state intervention in the economy?
It's a ridiculous article when you consider the along list of failures already made by the current government.

Not enough media outlets holding the current government to account is the big problem. All this talk of "think how much worse it could've been" seems pointless when you consider this government effectively disbanded parliament and lost a high court case for doing so, shortly before bumbling through every crisis since. Not to mention systematically removing any sense of checks and balances we previously had on government activity. The "but Corbyn" crowd are deluded.

Sweet Square

Especially when it seems partly driven by his liking for the economic measures taken so far....surely one thing that can't be levelled against Corbyn, regardless of his faults, is a dislike of state intervention in the economy?
State intervention of who's behave, I think is the key here. For Corbyn state intervention was to be used as a tool for workers rights, minority rights, marginalised groups and an attempt at a humanitarian approach to foreign policy(Include in here any crazy right wing headlines)etc.

To which this small business owner has no interest in.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Another 3 word slogan issued by the Government which I’m sure the dim headed will fall for just like ‘Get Brexit Done’.

These are getting worse than those awful Live Laugh Love heart shaped thingies that all mental women have in their living rooms. What's next? "Eat Pray Love"? Eat the children, pray that the raiding parties don't get you in the middle of the night, love the sound of your bones being evaporated by the acid mist etc.