Westminster Politics

Smores

That whole tweet is a bit bizzare. I can't decide if "Take action and prepare as we transition to our new relationship" is the start of a joining a cult or it's Hancocks best chat up line.

Where are we even going in that next statement?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That whole tweet is a bit bizzare. I can't decide if "Take action and prepare as we transition to our new relationship" is the start of a joining a cult or it's Hancocks best chat up line.

Where are we even going in that next statement?
It's really simple Smores. You've got to take action and then prepare for the transition. It's not that hard to understand. And then once we've got Brexit done and we can move on with levelling up Britain we can finally see our oven ready deal become reality. Just make sure to stay alert and control the virus in the meantime otherwise we'll get Corbyn's Britain.

Fluctuation0161

It's really simple Smores. You've got to take action and then prepare for the transition. It's not that hard to understand. And then once we've got Brexit done and we can move on with levelling up Britain we can finally see our oven ready deal become reality. Just make sure to stay alert and control the virus in the meantime otherwise we'll get Corbyn's Britain.
Thanks for clearing that up! :)

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
you forgot about the happy birthday washy hands thingy... we are doomed... doomed I tell you

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The UK policy regarding China is very interesting.
Only a short time ago, we were happily talking about a new era of trade a cooperation with China.
How quickly things can change.

Not only the about turn on allowing Huawei working on our 5G network; a rediculous decision in the first place, but now we are sending our Aircraft Carrier to the area as an old fashioned Imperial show of force.
I wonder what we would say if they had done the same.

Something most children learn quickly who to not pick fights with.
China is a true global superpower.
The UK, despite being a nuclear power is not.

We barely spend 2% of GDP on defence. A GDP which is now a full 20% lower than before.
I doubt very much that China is quaking in fear.

We need to remember who is finding our new nuclear power station at Hinkley.

I am not impressed with the behavior of China on many levels.
But we must be careful not to make ourselves look stupid.

Xeno

Only a short time ago, we were happily talking about a new era of trade a cooperation with China.

Not only the about turn on allowing Huawei working on our 5G network; a rediculous decision in the first place, but now we are sending our Aircraft Carrier to the area as an old fashioned Imperial show of force.

We barely spend 2% of GDP on defence. A GDP which is now a full 20% lower than before.

Sabre rattling, but your sabre is a rusted relic from the empire.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Rubbish poem it doesn’t even rhyme

MoskvaRed

Things have changed since George Osborne was promoting the UK as China’s main partner in Europe. Covid, the HK takeover etc. Even if it has come about by accident, we needed a major re-think about our relations with that country. And if Australia can stand up to them, with an economy consisting of mineral exports to China plus a Chinese-fuelled real estate bubble, I’m sure the UK can manage.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The whole Huawei decision is bullshit anyway. Just the UK and US trying to slow down the great Chinese superpower.

Posted from my Huawei. All hail Emperor Pooh Bear.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Things have changed since George Osborne was promoting the UK as China’s main partner in Europe. Covid, the HK takeover etc. Even if it has come about by accident, we needed a major re-think about our relations with that country. And if Australia can stand up to them, with an economy consisting of mineral exports to China plus a Chinese-fuelled real estate bubble, I’m sure the UK can manage.
Understand that.
And I have been all in favor of the international community taking action against China for their biggest export; corona virus.

I just think it too early to start sending our Aircraft Carrier out there.
This cannot be a military issue but a political issue.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Understand that.
And I have been all in favour of the international community taking action against China for their biggest export; corona virus.

I just think it too early to start sending our Aircraft Carrier out there.
This cannot be a military issue but a political issue.
I think the carrier trip was planned long before the latest Hong Kong developments and Huawei u-turn. It's no doubt a statement to allies in the region that the UK has Pacific capability as well as the US, but its not a direct response to recent events.

For the record I'm for strong military spending, but I didn't agree with building the carriers. Just floating targets and disasters waiting to happen for me, I'd have spent the money in other areas.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think the carrier trip was planned long before the latest Hong Kong developments and Huawei u-turn. It's no doubt a statement to allies in the region that the UK has Pacific capability as well as the US, but its not a direct response to recent events.

For the record I'm for strong military spending, but I didn't agree with building the carriers. Just floating targets and disasters waiting to happen for me, I'd have spent the money in other areas.
I too am in favor of strong military spending. In particular the Airforce.
And very much like you, I question the real need for the aircraft carriers.
It smacks of our colonial past when the navy was the senior service.

And because of that, we have purchased the most expensive and least capable F35 jets.

The biggest problem with carrier based jets is that they need refuelling aircraft to give the jets any sort of range.
Take out the refuelling aircraft and the F35 are useless.

Smores

It seems very convenient timing that on the day it's announced the Russian report will be released that Raab is suddenly out saying Russians interfered in the GE to Labours benefit.