Westminster Politics

Reiver

Probably going a bit mental but when I saw the slogan I thought Biden should just go full on Six Million Dollar Man:
Joe Biden, presidential candidate.
A man barely alive.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.
We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man.
Joe Biden will be that man.
Better than he was before.
Better, stronger, faster.

Different font ;-)

To be fair Boris had the tag line Build Build Build back in the summer. It’s not much of a stretch from that, besides they have had so many three word tag lines over the past 6 months, there was bound to be some repetition!

Sweet Square

"That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin”

FireballXL5

I think it makes sense to 'concentrate' asylum seekers in some sort of 'camp' far away from the UK. Just need to come up with a catchy, gammom-friendly name for them. Patel's parents must be so proud of her.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think it makes sense to 'concentrate' asylum seekers in some sort of 'camp' far away from the UK. Just need to come up with a catchy, gammom-friendly name for them. Patel's parents must be so proud of her.
Sadly, the fact that they are migrants themselves does not make them pro-immigration.

Some of the most anti-immigrant people I've met have been 1st generation people of colour and sometimes their kids. A mixture of thinking they did it 'right' and these new people don't, a desire to pull the ladder up from themselves and an almost heartening in a way integration into the national psyche where they start talking about immigrants coming over here, taking jobs, benefits etc and putting a strain on schools and the NHS in their Indian or Nigerian or Lebanese accent.

Smores

Sadly, the fact that they are migrants themselves does not make them pro-immigration.

Some of the most anti-immigrant people I've met have been 1st generation people of colour and sometimes their kids. A mixture of thinking they did it 'right' and these new people don't, a desire to pull the ladder up from themselves and an almost heartening in a way integration into the national psyche where they start talking about immigrants coming over here, taking jobs, benefits etc and putting a strain on schools and the NHS in their Indian or Nigerian or Lebanese accent.
To be fair the idea that all immigrants should feel kinship is a little odd. They're just people trying to get by like everyone else and their humanity sits somewhere on a gradient like everyone else. Life chances afforded rarely creates motivation to help others.

I think the views you highlight exist but I'd bet they all roughly align with that persons political views across their life.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
To be fair the idea that all immigrants should feel kinship is a little odd. They're just people trying to get by like everyone else and their humanity sits somewhere on a gradient like everyone else. Life chances afforded rarely creates motivation to help others.

I think the views you highlight exist but I'd bet they all roughly align with that persons political views across their life.
I agree on all counts. Just because you've immigrated, does not mean you have left wing or liberal views. And in fact in some cases, their experiences can lead to hardening of views (East African Indians for example, which I believe Patel's family are).

I do think we should stop assuming all immigrants/PoC are automatically left wing or labour voters though. Its not a helpful way of thinking and sometimes means we miss what their needs and wants actually are.

By the way, this whole conversation is taking away from the fact that, immigrant or not, Patel is a truly odious person who I had hoped I'd seen the last of when May threw her out. I feel sick every time I see her face. Even if I do find her attractive in an odd, oddly self-hating kind of way....

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Is it a coincidence that the Twitter algorithms, which put me on the Naughty Step for 12 hours, align so closely with government policy? Or is it that Lefties get to shut down any version of the truth but their own?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/got-locked-twitter-having-wrong-opinion-covid/

She seems a bit confused.

Somehow Twitter are another leftist attack dog while simultaneously being under the thumb of the conservative government, run by a man they completely identified with until a few months ago. It's amazing how the leftists can "capture" a government yet completely unable to put themselves in government.

I signed up to their free month trial to get a different view of things and was really surprised by one thing. They all seem so angry, so desperate to blame others. You can feel the sense of entitlement driving this genuine outrage. It's a bit weird to me that people enjoy reading that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/got-locked-twitter-having-wrong-opinion-covid/

Somehow Twitter are another leftist attack dog while simultaneously being under the thumb of the conservative government, run by a man they completely identified with until a few months ago. It's amazing how the leftists can "capture" a government yet completely unable to put themselves in government.

I signed up to their free month trial to get a different view of things and was really surprised by one thing. They all seem so angry, so desperate to blame others. You can feel the sense of entitlement driving this genuine outrage. It's a bit weird to me that people enjoy reading that.
She really is a dreadful piece of work. As is the newspaper she writes for. Re her specific whinges I’ve noticed that both right and left wing Twitter users are constantly complaining that Twitter is biased in favour of the other side. Which probably means it’s getting the balance about right.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I agree on all counts. Just because you've immigrated, does not mean you have left wing or liberal views. And in fact in some cases, their experiences can lead to hardening of views (East African Indians for example, which I believe Patel's family are).

I do think we should stop assuming all immigrants/PoC are automatically left wing or labour voters though. Its not a helpful way of thinking and sometimes means we miss what their needs and wants actually are.

By the way, this whole conversation is taking away from the fact that, immigrant or not, Patel is a truly odious person who I had hoped I'd seen the last of when May threw her out. I feel sick every time I see her face. Even if I do find her attractive in an odd, oddly self-hating kind of way....
Most of my elderly (immigrant Asian) relatives are fairly conservative both financially and socially. I reckon they'd probably be Tory voters if it wasn't for the fact the Tories are seen as anti-immigrant/a bit racist.

Although you'd like to think that being immigrants and goi,ng through that hardship, some would have a bit more empathy with today's immigrants trying to come to this country.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Most of my elderly (immigrant Asian) relatives are fairly conservative both financially and socially. I reckon they'd probably be Tory voters if it wasn't for the fact the Tories are seen as anti-immigrant/a bit racist.

Although you'd like to think that being immigrants and goi,ng through that hardship, some would have a bit more empathy with today's immigrants trying to come to this country.
I imagine that some people will be sympathetic of others going through the hardships their families went through, whereas some people are just selfish wankers.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
that's a somewhat odd grouping. if i had to bet, i'd say the 40-50 group withiin 25-50 would have the highest numbers. (given the under-40 labour lead+the sharp difference of 25-50 from 18-25).
last time i checked, it was a similar group (45-60 or something like that) that supported trump the most.

Sweet Square

that's a somewhat odd grouping. if i had to bet, i'd say the 40-50 group withiin 25-50 would have the highest numbers. (given the under-40 labour lead+the sharp difference of 25-50 from 18-25).
last time i checked, it was a similar group (45-60 or something like that) that supported trump the most.
Yeah I find the grouping odd and not very useful. I think it would make more sense to poll the difference between the under 40 and over 40. You would get a better sense of the generational divide(Gen Xers seem very right wing)

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I don’t know whether that’s a dig or not!

Schools should teach a balanced view.
cant have the kids learning anything that might sow discontent, or introduce the idea that there might be a better way to do things, that doesn't involve being told what to do by billionaires and tory scum whilst they live by and follow a totally different set of rules and standards to the rest of us though can we.

cant have the kids learning anything that might sow discontent, or introduce the idea that there might be a better way to do things, that doesn't involve being told what to do by billionaires and tory scum whilst they live by and follow a totally different set of rules and standards to the rest of us though can we.
So we agree that both sides of a debate should be taught.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
out of interest what % of the 13.9 million people who voted conservative are scum... it just seems a pretty vague (and divisive) statement so perhaps you could clarify?

out of interest what % of the 13.9 million people who voted conservative are scum... it just seems a pretty vague (and divisive) statement so perhaps you could clarify?
It does amuse me that this forum makes sweeping decisions about who you are based on your voting history.

There’s no nuance. Tory scum. Brilliant.

Such a good way to debate.

Untied

It's amazing how they are pulling the same 'scientific disagreement' guff that is pulled on climate change, cigarettes, etc. Find one Oxford scientist who has continually made ridiculous claims and just wheel them out repeatedly to justifying tweeting "More young people should die".

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
For clarification when I said tory scum I was referring to the mps, not the voters.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I guess you’d like to make sure that...

former labour voters who have absolutely definitely not shifted way over to the right as they have got older and are merely disenfranchised by the current state of the Labour Party (and that’s a perfectly good reason to vote for this extremely right wing Tory party)

...are not included in this sweeping statement?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I guess you’d like to make sure that...

former labour voters who have absolutely definitely not shifted way over to the right as they have got older and are merely disenfranchised by the current state of the Labour Party (and that’s a perfectly good reason to vote for this extremely right wing Tory party)

...are not included in this sweeping statement?
pretty sure they are "red tory scum" - you know the ones too thick to make their own make their own mind up and have been told who to vote for by the media
which is separate to the "blairite scum"- who are just evil
but it is hard to keep up these days as there is so many shades of scum