Westminster Politics

Fluctuation0161

True but they are now irrelevant and there’s no immediate prospect of the 2010 coalition needing to be reformed. Under PR they could be a genuine third party.
Who knows what other interests they may have outside the party.

That should be considered too. Especially in light of the recent Cameron and and Hancock stories, although I appreciate they are not LD's.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It's got to the point now where I watched the news last night and they leaf with Boris opening lobbying enquiries and I thought to myself, so what is it you're trying hide this time Boris?

Maticmaker

Completely agree with you.
If Labour really want to become the next government, they are going to have to do it on their own merits.
Come up with policies which will capture the imagination of the electorate.

But you also have to have a leader with charisma. And that is a massive problem for Starmer. Complete lack of charisma.
My turn to agree with you.

For me Starmer lacks any sort of zeal, when he is caught out being 'angry'; by that I mean when he's looking lost or perplexed, we have to assume that it is 'anger' demonstrated in his style, but whatever he just accepts the problem. Starmer does not seem to have any real base within the party and that is fatal position for a Labour Party Leader, for internally he then becomes 'the opposite' to, rather than the 'alternative to'...!

Labour has roamed so far from its traditional roots we are now (seriously) facing the prospect of a Conservative MP for Hartlepool?
The fact that Labour's new heartland appears to be London is almost beyond belief, if the Tories ever get anywhere near fulfilling Boris's promise to 'level up' Labour is doomed and will consigned to the history books!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The Tories must be getting some funding behind Shawn Bailey's London mayoral campaign. We got personalised flyers through today, 95% of which was just bashing Sadie Khan predictably.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Tories must be getting some funding behind Shawn Bailey's London mayoral campaign. We got personalised flyers through today, 95% of which was just bashing Sadie Khan predictably.
Sounds like the Every Party Except SNP strategy every election. Every flier is just references to why we can't let Sturgeon win. As far as party policies go they don't day much.

not seen anything from any candidates.

given the lack of travel, and thus exposure to advertising, I expect there to be a really low turnout. I’m not sure who that would favour, probably Khan, as the other Candidates won’t have any name recognition.

Khan has been universally terrible, but I expect him to be re-elected.

Vernon Philander

given the lack of travel, and thus exposure to advertising, I expect there to be a really low turnout. I’m not sure who that would favour, probably Khan, as the other Candidates won’t have any name recognition.

Reminiscent of the Tories in 2019 GE.

What improvements do you think Shaun Bailey will bring?

Reminiscent of the Tories in 2019 GE.

What improvements do you think Shaun Bailey will bring?
I’ve not said he would bring any improvements.
What other candidates are there? I’ve no idea what policies he has, as I’ve said I’ve seen zero campaigning from anyone thus far.

When it comes to the London Mayor, I’ve no interest in what political affiliation the candidates have.

it’s interesting, in the GE, there’s not a chance I would have wanted Labour in power, but our local MP is labour, and very good, so I wanted her to keep her seat. I’d prefer London to have as much distance from central government as possible, but Khan cannot be trusted.

Jippy

Staff

Khan tries to keep tube and bus charges down at least- they went up a lot under Johnson. Not sure on cycle lanes tbh- some are ok, others very poorly thought out.
I don't really know that much about what he has or hasn't done tbh.
Bailey is a fecking idiot with his homeless folk should save £5k for a deposit comments.
No idea about the other candidates.

Khan tries to keep tube and bus charges down at least- they went up a lot under Johnson. Not sure on cycle lanes tbh- some are ok, others very poorly thought out.
I don't really know that much about what he has or hasn't done tbh.
Bailey is a fecking idiot with his homeless folk should save £5k for a deposit comments.
No idea about the other candidates.
One of the big issues with Khan is trust as he was voted in on a promise not to increase travel charges, and then did…

the congestion charge and expansion of ULEZ are somewhat controversial, and adversely (will) affects poorer families. When he inevitably expands that further again, we will be paying £10-12 a day for older cars across most of London.

I’ll have to have a look at the other candidates, but I doubt any parties are interested in seriously challenging him.

Jippy

Staff
One of the big issues with Khan is trust as he was voted in on a promise not to increase travel charges, and then did…

the congestion charge and expansion of ULEZ are somewhat controversial, and adversely (will) affects poorer families. When he inevitably expands that further again, we will be paying £10-12 a day for older cars across most of London.

I’ll have to have a look at the other candidates, but I doubt any parties are interested in seriously challenging him.
It seemed more the government forcing an above inflation fare rise for the bailout.

www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tube-bus-fare-london-public-transport-b336450.html%3famp

The government's screwing over London should stop anyone voting for Bailey- eg tube fares, Johnson breaking yet more promises by not voting against third Heathrow runway, Hammersmith Bridge etc...

I haven't had a car for ages so not affected by congestion charge or ULEZ tbh.

Drifter

American
Taskforce will explore potential of new digital currency
A taskforce has been created by the Bank of England (BoE) and the UK Treasury to explore the possible launch of a “Central Bank Digital Currency”

(CBDC). The new form of digital money would be issued for use by households and businesses, and would exist alongside cash and bank deposits,

rather than replacing them, the BoE said in a statement.

The “Britcoin” would basically be a digital version of sterling and could change the payments system, “the plumbing of the financial system”, says the

BBC’s economics editor Faisal Islam. However, it would not be a “Bitcoin-style speculative asset with wild fluctuations in value” and there would be

“limited appeal for the fans of crypto”.

FireballXL5

Boris must be seething the ESL is over. Gave him distraction from his corruption!

As an aside, I wonder how many of those smugly patting themselves on the back today for sticking it to the football elites voted for Brexit or the Tories?