Westminster Politics

FireballXL5

Thing is, it could be any one of them. You have to have deep character flaws to join those cnuts in the first place.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What happened to the market being king; and how to determine creditworthiness over different generations.

It is almost like there no other ideas other home ownership...
Don't understand what this has to do with the government. It should be between the lender and borrower what type of mortgage is agreed.
Unless it is the government who is going into the mortgage business.

What happened to small government.

Sweet Square

It is almost like there no other ideas other home ownership...
Tbf it’s worked so far for the tories but yeah as a long term political project, Thatcherism has “failed”.

The tories can’t address the housing problem as the answer - Public housing built by the government both kills the house prices of their current older homer owning voter base and also creates new younger Labour voters.

They fecked it. Which I’m guessing is why we’ve seen a even bigger move towards authoritarian measures by Boris.
I've read such mortgages are common in Japan, but no idea if that's actually the case or not.
Yeah saw that too although also haven’t looked into it. Just from a quick google these mortgages haven’t solved much although there’s a ton of other factors(Apparently the life span of Japanese house is only around 30 years before it’s destroyed).

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Look at this take ffs!
:lol: :lol:

The funny thing is there a modicum of point there. It isn't right to run your economy on endless immigration, nor is it moral to take migrants constantly from poorer countries who've spent money educating those individuals.

I also love that their idea is to use the stick (tax the childless), as opposed to the carrot (make childcare easier to access and cheaper, recalibrate the workforce to make it easier for parents to balance working with having kids, make it easier to work part time etc etc etc).

Pricks.

Fluctuation0161

:lol: :lol:

The funny thing is there a modicum of point there. It isn't right to run your economy on endless immigration, nor is it moral to take migrants constantly from poorer countries who've spent money educating those individuals.

I also love that their idea is to use the stick (tax the childless), as opposed to the carrot (make childcare easier to access and cheaper, recalibrate the workforce to make it easier for parents to balance working with having kids, make it easier to work part time etc etc etc).

Pricks.
Yep. They've removed, and continue to reduce any support left for parents. Both for single parents and 2 parent families. Nursery fee support has been reduced.

Looking even further back, we don't have have 1 parent going to work and earning enough money for the household like in the 1950s/60s etc, we now require both parents to work to fund the household in most cases.

Jericholyte2

An article in the Daily Mail supporting Johnson today:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...MENT-Boris-Johnson-best-man-lead-Britain.html

Maybe there's a disconnect between the Mail and Mail on Sunday?

It seems clear than an ever-increasing % of the Daily Mail's readers are turning against Johnson though, so any columnists still supporting him are out of step there.
From memory there are different editors to The Mail and MoS and often are quite antagonistic to each other. I’ll happily be corrected though.

Also, whenever something is written by ‘Daily Mail Comment’ I imagine some angry 80yr old ones their hamlet manor that they bought for £10k, complaining about ‘the youth today’ complaining about not being able to afford a house even though it’s now far more expensive in terms of ‘times of wages’ and that two full time wages barely keep a house afloat anymore.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
From memory there are different editors to The Mail and MoS and often are quite antagonistic to each other. I’ll happily be corrected though.

Also, whenever something is written by ‘Daily Mail Comment’ I imagine some angry 80yr old ones their hamlet manor that they bought for £10k, complaining about ‘the youth today’ complaining about not being able to afford a house even though it’s now far more expensive in terms of ‘times of wages’ and that two full time wages barely keep a house afloat anymore.
Ah yes that makes sense.

Apparently in the past, the different editors have hated each other and have even tried to ridicule each others stories', to the bafflement of many of their readers who of course would be the same. I try not to spend too much time on the Mail Online website, but from what I've seen comments from readers defending Johnson seem to be increasingly few and far between.

I remember the series articles describing the evils of working from home, by columnists who themselves were already working primarily or exclusively from home pre-pandemic. Also the articles criticising Rashford for being 'hypocritical' for having the sheer cheek to buy a house for his mum, criticising striking junior doctors for enjoying 'luxury holidays' (to compound matters some of the specific people they focused were actually shown to be doing unpaid volunteer work abroad following earthquakes) stood out. That's before we get to smears against Ralph Miliband.

Jericholyte2

I remember the series articles describing the evils of working from home, by columnists who themselves were already working primarily or exclusively from home pre-pandemic. Also the articles criticising Rashford for being 'hypocritical' for having the sheer cheek to buy a house for his mum, criticising striking junior doctors for enjoying 'luxury holidays' (to compound matters some of the specific people they focused were actually shown to be doing unpaid volunteer work abroad following earthquakes) stood out. That's before we get to smears against Ralph Miliband.
That would be Richard Littlejohn. He still goes on about WFH whilst writing his opinion pieces from his home in Florida!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Note - the desperation of the mainstream media (presumably including the Telegraph) "knows no bounds".
Unfortunately, Diane About is not a vote winner for Labour. So her comments don't help at all.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Would be better to follow the German model and have a much higher proportion of renters at affordable prices.
Correct.
I have a good friend who lives in Munich and he tells me that once his mortgage interest rate is set when he took out the loan to buy his house, that doesn't change during the lifetime of the mortgage.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
An article in the Daily Mail supporting Johnson today:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...MENT-Boris-Johnson-best-man-lead-Britain.html

Maybe there's a disconnect between the Mail and Mail on Sunday?

It seems clear than an ever-increasing % of the Daily Mail's readers are turning against Johnson though, so any columnists still supporting him are out of step there.
Jesus, those comments are fecking brutal. The Tories must be shitting themselves reading that.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Plummeting population.
What rubbish.
The results of the 2021 census showed that it had increased by over 5 million over the last 10 years.
Yes but that's not what they mean by population. They mean white people. Great replacement theory and all that. Because our politics is tainted by the fascism of the US and Russia.

Offsideagain

Date rape drugs, Boris assaulting women but no proof. Starmer with a serious policy to beat the current cost of living crisis, again no proof. You lots know nothing. I got married in 1979, mortgage interest rates were 15%, all my salary went on the mortgage. We didn’t moan and cry that the Government should bail us out (it was a Labour Government until Thatcher kick them out) we just got on with it. No nights out or holidays for a year. Now everybody is looking for someone to blame. It is what it is.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Date rape drugs, Boris assaulting women but no proof. Starmer with a serious policy to beat the current cost of living crisis, again no proof. You lots know nothing. I got married in 1979, mortgage interest rates were 15%, all my salary went on the mortgage. We didn’t moan and cry that the Government should bail us out (it was a Labour Government until Thatcher kick them out) we just got on with it. No nights out or holidays for a year. Now everybody is looking for someone to blame. It is what it is.
Hey check out this fella who could afford a mortgage