Westminster Politics

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Date rape drugs, Boris assaulting women but no proof. Starmer with a serious policy to beat the current cost of living crisis, again no proof. You lots know nothing. I got married in 1979, mortgage interest rates were 15%, all my salary went on the mortgage. We didn’t moan and cry that the Government should bail us out (it was a Labour Government until Thatcher kick them out) we just got on with it. No nights out or holidays for a year. Now everybody is looking for someone to blame. It is what it is.
I'm listening to this post to the tune of we didn't start the fire

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Off topic from the recent discussion, but why are the right generally so much better at getting their message across even when it’s blatantly false? I suspect media has a big role. But an example is how the conservatives seem to get away with convincing everyone they aren’t responsible for and have nothing to do with this cost of living crisis as due to global factors, yet managed to permanently attach the Labour Party to the global financial crisis and hence not being able to run an economy which has gone against them for years. The right seem to both be able to distance themselves from something and attach their opponents to something far more effectively than the left. Is it just media? Are the right just more deceptive? Why can they connect more with people (at least it seems)? It’s infuriating.

Superden

Off topic from the recent discussion, but why are the right generally so much better at getting their message across even when it’s blatantly false? I suspect media has a big role. But an example is how the conservatives seem to get away with convincing everyone they aren’t responsible for and have nothing to do with this cost of living crisis as due to global factors, yet managed to permanently attach the Labour Party to the global financial crisis and hence not being able to run an economy which has gone against them for years. The right seem to both be able to distance themselves from something and attach their opponents to something far more effectively than the left. Is it just media? Are the right just more deceptive? Why can they connect more with people (at least it seems)? It’s infuriating.
it is the media, they facilitate the propaganda for the right as the media is owned by people whos interests align with those of the right.
whats even more disturbing is having a look on social media posts from right wing outlets, where the idea that the mainstream media (MSM) is a left wing construct out to get the common 'right wing / white ' man seems to have taken hold. so therefore any criticism of the a right wing govt / politician is instantly dismissed as left wing propaganda from a biased MSM. Starmer / beergate being a current example, where its seen as an MSM conspiracy to hide the truth about his law breaking - yet the same people losing their minds over it where utterly dismissive of partygate as just westminister tittle tattle. The umpteen front page beergate stories in the Daily Mail (on whose comments pages many of the anti-MSM ideas germinate) is disregarded as being the 'MSM' and that notion seems to disappear into some subconscious black hole

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Nobody tells our world leading press what to publish folks.

Loving the ITK flexing over rapist and child molesting Tories. I have omniscience when it comes to Tory bastardry but let me secrete that shit like it's dragon gold.

Tories fecking children.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I've also noticed that every time a story comes out which damages the PM (which is daily now), Twitter goes crazy with re-tweets about Starmer's beer and curry in Durham. Conservative Twitter bots are constantly on standby.

Conor

It's much easier to get something across when you have zero issue with lying about anything. You can completely tailor the message to exactly what your listeners want to hear, even if none of it is true.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Should we tax the childless?!?!?

For fecks sake the reason people aren’t having kids is because it’s unaffordable these days to raise a goddamned kid!!!
Yup. We've got four and we both pull in a very decent wage, but fecking hell it's expensive.

Date rape drugs, Boris assaulting women but no proof. Starmer with a serious policy to beat the current cost of living crisis, again no proof. You lots know nothing. I got married in 1979, mortgage interest rates were 15%, all my salary went on the mortgage. We didn’t moan and cry that the Government should bail us out (it was a Labour Government until Thatcher kick them out) we just got on with it. No nights out or holidays for a year. Now everybody is looking for someone to blame. It is what it is.
Why are you saying "mortgage interest rates"? Was the interest rate on your savings not also 15%? Not to mention that the cost of living has greatly increased since your very selective 1979, when interest rates were at an all time high and subsequently came down after that.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that for someone who didn't moan and cry in 1979 you do a lot of it now.

Fluctuation0161

You're alright Jack.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
No nights out or holidays for a year. Now everybody is looking for someone to blame. It is what it is.
So that's why I can't buy a house. I thought it was because the average salary is shit and the cost of houses in big metropolitan areas is absurd, but it was going out and the occasional trip to the beach all along.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Not really comparable because it's a different country and it's renting, but I have a mate who is a doctor and is looking for a new place to live near the hospital as the long hours and the long commuting are draining him. He just sent me a link he came across while searching for it and the average salary in Portugal is 1361 euros and the average rent in Lisbon is 1017 euros and still, we have the same kind of bs coming from older people, "oh the young folks just want to have fun, not willing to make sacrifices. In my day bla bla bla". It's infuriating really.

Frosty

Not really comparable because it's a different country and it's renting, but I have a mate who is a doctor and is looking for a new place to live near the hospital as the long hours and the long commuting are draining him. He just sent me a link he came across while searching for it and the average salary in Portugal is 1361 euros and the average rent in Lisbon is 1017 euros and still, we have the same kind of bs coming from older people, "oh the young folks just want to have fun, not willing to make sacrifices. In my day bla bla bla". It's infuriating really.
I think it is a far enough comment. Those in their 20s and 30s who are working long hours and paying taxes are funding the pensions, benefits and health care of those retired, in full knowledge that those same benefits won't be available to them when they retire. That's a fairly big sacrifice already made by the young.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Don't people usually say yeah but the average salary is skewed by some really high salaries... I'm guessing the average rental price is also

I would also guess the average salary in Lisbon is higher than the average salary in the rest of Portugal... So giving figures of average Portugal salary and average Lisbon rent has limited (if any ) value ... It's infuriating really

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Don't people usually say yeah but the average salary is skewed by some really high salaries... I'm guessing the average rental price is also

I would also guess the average salary in Lisbon is higher than the average salary in the rest of Portugal... So giving figures of average Portugal salary and average Lisbon rent has limited (if any ) value ... It's infuriating really
Fair enough, the average salary in the Lisbon district is 1465 euros. So yeah, infuriating.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
and I guess most people live as a couple?
so most households have approx 2900 income with a rent of about 1000... so basically a third of income as rent - does not sound unreasonable to be fair
Most young people live as a couple? That's not true in my circles.

Most of my friends share rent because they have to, not because they want to.

Mick1991

More white babies to parents that don't want them, and politicians that have no interest in helping them. Just boost that bottom line, that's their singular concern.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Most young people live as a couple? That's not true in my circles.

Most of my friends share rent because they have to, not because they want to.
but they share... so two incomes are splitting the rent so around a third of income on rent - again that does not sound particularly difficult especially if they dont have kids etc to look after as well

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
but they share... so two incomes are splitting the rent so around a third of income on rent - again that does not sound particularly difficult especially if they dont have kids etc to look after as well
They share because they have to, there's no other choice. I believe a person who works 8 hours a day should at least be able to afford a place to live.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Look at this take ffs!
If those two are willing to become wife number 2 and wife number 3 then I'm happy to do my part as a proud Brit. :D :drool:

Plus, I've got Alexander the Great's genes so the babies are definitely popping out white. :cool:

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Your big sacrifice was "no holidays for a year"? :lol:

Wow, you are absolutely clueless.

https://propertyindustryeye.com/house-prices-have-increased-by-1010-since-1980/

But yeah, you're right, the reason you could afford a house and todays generation can't is because you didn't take a holiday for a year.

NotThatSoph

In 1979 inflation was 13.4 %, so in real terms your mortgage was 1.6 % big guy. Wages were growing by around 17 %.

It's quite possible you personally were poor or were in difficult circumstances, but if you're using that 15 to make any sort of general point that doesn't make much sense.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
yes - but if the average home has 2 incomes its also reasonable to assume they will probably be able to afford less than the average
You're basically excluding people who finish college and enter the workplace from being able to make a decent living in big cities unless they are willing to live with someone else or rush into relationships to pay rent. If that sounds healthy or normal to you then so be it, I disagree. My parents were able to find a place to live by themselves very early in their 20s and it was about 1/4 of their income. My generation simply can't afford it and have a decent standard of living.

RedChip

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Would be better to follow the German model and have a much higher proportion of renters at affordable prices.
German model is rapidly gettong worse due to privatisation of previously publicly owned flats ( this privatisation madness turned > 200.000 public flats into investments for private companies who are earning billions in profit now).

Austria and specifically Vienna are much better at that.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
You're basically excluding people who finish college and enter the workplace from being able to make a decent living in big cities unless they are willing to live with someone else or rush into relationships to pay rent. If that sounds healthy or normal to you then so be it, I disagree. My parents were able to find a place to live by themselves very early in their 20s and it was about 1/4 of their income. My generation simply can't afford it and have a decent standard of living.
My parents lived at home till they could afford a house
I shared houses for years... Till I brought a house and rented out a room till I could afford to comfortably live alone
Not sure where this entitlement that a recent graduate should automatically be able to afford their own place to live comes from?

Cloudface

I shared houses for years... Till I brought a house and rented out a room till I could afford to comfortably live alone
Not sure where this entitlement that a recent graduate should automatically be able to afford their own place to live comes from?
You mean why should someone in full time work be able to afford rent/a decent mortgage and a decent standard of living?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Entitlement? If someone studied, works 8 hours a day and pays their taxes, they shouldn't be able to afford a place to live? We have very different views I guess. A place to live is literally the minimum a person should able to afford.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
According to the graph in the article, 50% of those on £120k + reckon they're either "about average" or even "below average" as well.

What fecking planet are these people on?

Frosty

Landlords grow rich in their sleep without working, risking or economizing. The increase in the value of land, arising as it does from the efforts of an entire community, should belong to the community and not to the individual who might hold title.

Fluctuation0161

German model is rapidly gettong worse due to privatisation of previously publicly owned flats ( this privatisation madness turned > 200.000 public flats into investments for private companies who are earning billions in profit now).

Austria and specifically Vienna are much better at that.
Agree that more publicly owned housing is vital. Council housing and/or housing association housing in the UK is so desperately needed. Instead it is all being ideologically sold to private owners and adding to inflated costs of living under the guise of social mobility.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
It needs to be affordable but it also needs to offer decent to good quality.
Other positive outcomes might be like cheaper services, bars and restaurants - however salaries will be also a little bit lower. That's at least the case in Vienna.