Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
DM pushing that Tory MP's distraction line on the current strikes following 12 years of his party's rule are a reason to not vote Labour:houllier:

Well we all know what life is like under the Tories don't we.
Widescale strikes.
The highest level of poverty.
The biggest drop in living standards.
And a totally trashed economy, now not only in recession, but the worst performing in the G7.

Vote Tory at the next election for another 5 years of misery.

Jericholyte2

The only thing they have is attacking workers and refugees. The first is strange because, according to Rishi Sunak, we have the fastest growth of G7 from 2010. But let's look at what they normally run on:

- fiscal responsibility: GONE
- law & order: GONE
- business support: GONE
- strong border control: GONE

They have no tangible policy that they could possibly run on, so all they have left it to attack vague hypothetical others.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
The problem is that people that earn millions do not work a relative amount harder than people that earn £25k - £50k, in a lot of cases they are earning these figures off the back of or at the expense of these people.

Why should CEOs earn 200x what the lowest full time worker at the same company earns? They could half it, still earn more than they could reasonably spend and offer not insignificant raises to people in their company but they don’t.

Then you have the issue of landlordism. Our economy is built on the housing market. A market which encourages buy to let which essentially means that people cannot afford to buy a house for themselves but can afford to buy someone else’s house for them. The landlord then enjoys passive income which avoids income tax.

This idea that people accrue wealth from their own hard work without the help of the society they have accrued the wealth in is totally wrong and frankly perverse.
Move to China my friend

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Because I disagree with this perverse version of peak capitalism?
I suppose he is probably highlighting the even larger wealth:hard work ratio disparity in China compared to the UK.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
In Nigeria, we are more up front about what corruption is. It's not called fancy names like the Britsh tend to give. This is blantant corruption and the police should be involved.
1 billion % agree. We have far more pervasive "civilised" corruption done behind closed doors in tax havens. We don't have everyday sort of corruption, accessible to everyone.

Superden

Spend just 5 mins reading about the VIP fast lane for PPE and you realise what an utterly corrupt country we live in. Mone actually made on the record denials through her lawyers of having anything to do with procurement...

hodgey123

Not going ahead now but think the headlines were a bit dramatic. Companies like Octopus have been doing this for months to try and incentivise energy saving and don't think there's actually anything wrong with that.

Sweet Square

How many times have the army been sent in to cover for xyz in the last few years?
Not sure. Maybe for covid or help with flooding but in terms of strike breaking, it hasn’t happened since the 1920’s(Although Atlee did use the army as strike breakers as well).

Pretty sure this is the first time nurses have ever gone on strike as well. I’m guessing this is just threats from the government, as it would be a massive move to bring in the army.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Not sure. Maybe for covid or help with flooding but in terms of strike breaking, it hasn’t happened since the 1920’s(Although Atlee did use the army as strike breakers as well).

Pretty sure this is the first time nurses have ever gone on strike as well. I’m guessing this is just threats from the government, as it would be a massive move to bring in the army.
They covered for the fire brigade a few years back too.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Believe they went on strike in 2019 in Northern Ireland and I think Unison nurses walked out in 2014 in England but i think this is the first time nurses from the royal college of nursing will have gone on strike

https://www.nursingtimes.net/roles/...n-strike-again-over-1-pay-dispute-24-11-2014/

Sweet Square

Jericholyte2

Setting the timer on Farage claiming these poor souls are just out to mooch off a system.

Smores

Not sure about everyone else but I've never felt so disinterested in politics. This is from a position of having closely tracked every story for 20 years.

I've no interest in what Labour are currently saying and with the Tories it's the same shit repeated with no consequence.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not sure about everyone else but I've never felt so disinterested in politics. This is from a position of having closely tracked every story for 20 years.

I've no interest in what Labour are currently saying and with the Tories it's the same shit repeated with no consequence.
Just what the Tories want.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
A thread about the Tory council which has somehow accrued half a billion in debt.