Westminster Politics

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I'll never get over how deeply weird Westminster is. It looks like they're just having fun.
And the whole heckling and jeering whilst someone is talking or making a point is so puerile. I don't remember it being like this growing up (so it could be recency bias) or just another depressing facet of this incarnation of a Tory government.

Maticmaker

And the whole heckling and jeering whilst someone is talking or making a point is so puerile. I don't remember it being like this growing up (so it could be recency bias) or just another depressing facet of this incarnation of a Tory government.
Because its (perhaps) a feature of the two party system, this is quintessential Westminster behaviour on major issues, and it has been for years.
I always feel sorry for the smaller parties, if ever they are made to feel as though they are just 'making up the numbers' it must be when this sort of 'baying' is taking place.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Prime Minister Questions is incredibly frustrating to watch and I've watched it relegiously for 2 or 3 years now.

Every question poised to the PM is just ducked and dived.

"The NHS is crumbling and there is x, y and z wrong and all these kpis are failing. How do you plan to fix it?"

"NHS waiting times are 5% lower than they were in December. This is what this government does. It delivers for the people. We also planned to ban NHS use for all immigrants and this party here voted it down. It's all their fault"

Cheers Rishi mate. Great plan. Glad to hear the waiting time is 5% lower than December. Doesn't really fecking help though when it is 200% higher than it was in 2010 does it?

There is absolutely no integrity or respect for their constituents or the rest of the population. They laugh, they snigger, behave like it's some frat party they're a part of and they take us all for fools.

Prime Ministers should be made to answer the questions presented to them factually, not just dance around it and then make some pre recorded statement completely unrelated.

Lindsay Hoyle is an incredibly weak and pathetic speaker too who has no back bone. He's certainly a key part of the issues with PMQs.

If it was up to me I'd have it recorded and played on BBC at 7pm every Saturday. Maybe then when they know alot more of the population are watching they might take it more seriously.

Balljy

You would expect the DM to come down on Boris side and against ******* Harman because she is a Labour chairwoman.

But to me, the case against Boris is very simple.
He is obviously quite intelligent.
He stood up night after night both listening to the chief medical officer and chief scientific officer as well as him telling us what we should and should not do.
So when he went to those parties, if he was not sure what he was allowed to do within the COVID restrictions, all he should have done was to make a quick phone call to those people.
But he didn't even do that and is now blaming others for not giving him the proper advice.

It was a pathetic defence despite what his followers are trying to make out.
JRM said last night that the 'court of public opinion would have clearly come down on the side of Boris'.....
Oh really.
We can just give up on the day that public opinion makes court / regulatory decisions, although the Tories are trying to make that happen as long as public opinion backs what they think.

Abizzz

Isn't the "court of public opinion" just code for daily mail columnists? If there was such a thing as a public opinion I'd say JRM is probably the least likely to know anything about it whatsoever.

DavelinaJolie

It's not just puerile, it's disrespectful. Those feckers are up there making quips and jeering about stuff that actually affects the lives of people in this country. I'm not usually one to care much for reverence or being overly serious, but they're basically stood there taking the piss out of the people this stuff actually affects.

That's what comes when you are so removed from everyday existence. I get angry about the decline of the NHS, these feckers make jokes about waiting times.

Maticmaker

That's what comes when you are so removed from everyday existence.
That is what comes when you belong to a 'club', whose cardinal sin is to be caught out!

Politics is a 'club' where certain people who belong, regularly say one thing and mean another, whose motto is more or less is "don't do as I do, do as I say". This isn't just Tory members, although I would forgive anybody under 30, believing that it was (they will not remember the last Labour Government).

'Partygate' is symptomatic of a group of people in the 'political club,' many of whom hold high office, who believe they make the rules... for others to follow not them, as with Covid. However don't think Labour doesn't have it share of such people, e.g. in the past at least there were many Labour politicians, among them senior shadow cabinet members, who consistently complained about the Private Education System and the Tories backing for it, but who themselves sent their children to private schools... because a) they can afford it, and b) its the best available, c) it has its privileges and rewards later in life.

You can call me a cynical old man, and you would probably be right, but in my lifetime I would be hard pressed to name more than 20 senior politicians, across the board, who did 'exactly what it said on the tin' in terms of their personal and political lives.

NB I refer mainly to frontbench politicians, since most back-bench MP's appear/seem to get on with the job they were elected to do. If we really do expect our leading politicians to be paragons of virtue, we need a different system completely.

Bert_

Prime Minister Questions is incredibly frustrating to watch and I've watched it relegiously for 2 or 3 years now.

"The NHS is crumbling and there is x, y and z wrong and all these kpis are failing. How do you plan to fix it?"

"NHS waiting times are 5% lower than they were in December. This is what this government does. It delivers for the people. We also planned to ban NHS use for all immigrants and this party here voted it down. It's all their fault"

Cheers Rishi mate. Great plan. Glad to hear the waiting time is 5% lower than December. Doesn't really fecking help though when it is 200% higher than it was in 2010 does it?

There is absolutely no integrity or respect for their constituents or the rest of the population. They laugh, they snigger, behave like it's some frat party they're a part of and they take us all for fools.

Prime Ministers should be made to answer the questions presented to them factually, not just dance around it and then make some pre recorded statement completely unrelated.

Lindsay Hoyle is an incredibly weak and pathetic speaker too who has no back bone. He's certainly a key part of the issues with PMQs.

If it was up to me I'd have it recorded and played on BBC at 7pm every Saturday. Maybe then when they know alot more of the population are watching they might take it more seriously.
A basic start would be for the speaker to properly mediate "debates" by making sure relevant answers are given to questions.

Closest Hoyle came to doing that was when Rishi started bleating on about energy supply after Starmer asked him about housing. He made a sarcy comment about how the PM must not have heard the question due to the noise in the chamber. Didn't asked him to answer again or let Starmer repeat the question though. Got a bit of a laugh and moved on.

Probs got told off for that remark so went back to threatening heckling MPs with having to go and make a cup of tea if they continue shouting down their fellow MPs.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Yes. Me too. I don't even bother to listen to it on the radio. It has become irrelevant and a total waste of time.

WPMUFC

So how is this allowed again?

I could be wrong, but it seems the UK is the only country that actually allows this to happen? In Australia and from what i've seen in the US, politicans have blurred the line continuously between being interviewed and just getting on TV for puff-piece bits.

However Dorries is acting as a TV host, as a sitting MP, pushing a political party narrative. How is that legal in any regards? How can a sitting MP be allowed to host a show for the sole purpose of parroting their party position and defending other MPs?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
I could be wrong, but it seems the UK is the only country that actually allows this to happen? In Australia and from what i've seen in the US, politicans have blurred the line continuously between being interviewed and just getting on TV for puff-piece bits.

However Dorries is acting as a TV host, as a sitting MP, pushing a political party narrative. How is that legal in any regards? How can a sitting MP be allowed to host a show for the sole purpose of parroting their party position and defending other MPs?
australians and yanks can’t be trusted to tell it like it is, like our illustrious betters.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I remember learning about it in school as a special feature of British parliamentary tradition, so I always assumed it's been like that for a very long time.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-your-money-65079792

The UK is poorer as a country, partially because of the War in Ukraine and partially because of COVID says Michael Gove.
But not a mention of the 13 years of this Tory government policies and not even Brexit.
Isn't it convenient that he can blame the 2 things that Tories claim that they have no control of.
Totally deluded.

owlo

Banning laughing gas after their own experts advised them not to. Starmers labour nodding in agreement.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-your-money-65079792

The UK is poorer as a country, partially because of the War in Ukraine and partially because of COVID says Michael Gove.
But not a mention of the 13 years of this Tory government policies and not even Brexit.
Isn't it convenient that he can blame the 2 things that Tories claim that they have no control of.
Totally deluded.
COVID and Ukraine war were absolute gifts for those that delivered Brexit.