Westminster Politics

Dan_F

I worked in retail in a tourist City (UK) for 5 years and this is exactly what happened. French, Spanish, Chinese etc.

I understand that sometimes it’s done in a patronising way (shouting), but to expect someone not from that country to say more than hello, goodbye etc, is a bit over the top.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Starmer blasting Sunak for not bringing immigration down was soul destroying to watch. The discussion around immigration is so fecked in this country. Starmer complaining there are too many work visa issued is disgraceful.
Also, international students can no longer bring their families over.
Mate, he didn’t do any of that though.

He’s not anti immigration. He’s against the practise of bringing in people from overseas, paying them 20% less than market rate, depriving British people of jobs and surpressing wages for entire industries.

That’s not anti immigration. It’s common sense. Why should companies be able to control the labour market? These people are pro free market when it suits, when all they really want is closed monopoly.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
This is a brilliant read and is basically your typical Tory voter:

Most of the comments think the guy's making it up. Maybe he is but similar things are quite regular around here. Tourist season is approaching! No!!!
He’s absolutely making it up, that account is semi-famous for posting elaborate Remainer fantasies, disappearing for ages and then turning up again 6 months later with another one. He’s notorious for it. His stock photo profile is a giveaway, as is the fact he used to describe himself as the author of a book series that didn’t exist.

Weird thing to do, pandering to people who want to feel smugly superior to imaginary Brexiters (when there’s plenty of real ones they can do that if they so wish)

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
He’s absolutely making it up, that account is semi-famous for posting elaborate Remainer fantasies, disappearing for ages and then turning up again 6 months later with another one. He’s notorious for it. His stock photo profile is a giveaway, as is the fact he used to describe himself as the author of a book series that didn’t exist.

Weird thing to do, pandering to people who want to feel smugly superior to imaginary Brexiters (when there’s plenty of real ones they can do that if they so wish)
You don't say.

TheGame

The sad thing is you can actually see that happening.

Bobade

It's just an obvious parody account isn't it? Like Michael Take.

MoskvaRed

The sad thing is you can actually see that happening.
Maybe but it’s not unreasonable to expect English spoken in a tourist area. Take away the British focus and most other non-French Europeans would speak English as their second language rather than French. Anyway, it’s probably made up, almost in order to discredit “smug” remainers.

Paul the Wolf

Maybe but it’s not unreasonable to expect English spoken in a tourist area. Take away the British focus and most other non-French Europeans would speak English as their second language rather than French. Anyway, it’s probably made up, almost in order to discredit “smug” remainers.

What is classed as a tourist area though?

MoskvaRed

Everywhere then and the only French born person I know around here who speaks good English (she's fluent) is my wife.
Anecdotally, my (non-native English speaker) wife does not like going to France because of the lack of English outside the cities, although, in my experience, it has changed hugely in the last 20 years in that respect. Anyway, is it reasonable to expect tourists to speak French? Do French people learn Greek when they go to Greece?

Paul the Wolf

Anecdotally, my (non-native English speaker) wife does not like going to France because of the lack of English outside the cities, although, in my experience, it has changed hugely in the last 20 years in that respect. Anyway, is it reasonable to expect tourists to speak French? Do French people learn Greek when they go to Greece?
If they are in the tourist industry they'd probably speak English. Where we are and within a 200km radius there are few large towns, it's mainly an area of natural beauty, hundreds of medieval villages, lakes, hills and so on. Most people would have Spanish as a second language or occitane, the local patois dialect as we're closer to Spain. On the eastern side ,the Alps, where my wife originates, the second language would be more likely to be Italian. Those actually directly involved in the tourist industry would speak English. My wife spent 32 years in England which is why she is fluent.

I doubt very many French people speak Greek. Question is would they start shouting at the Greeks in French to try to make them understand.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Yes it’s reasonable. And also really damn easy. Learning bits and pieces of other languages is an awesome part of travel.

Super basic phrases like ‘Beer’, ‘Toilet’, ‘Right/Left’, ‘Bill’, ‘Please and thank you’ are learnable on the plane.

And yes, French people do learn Greek when in Greece.

It’s a gift and a curse to be English speaking. Far easier to get by, almost everywhere. But it makes us all quite precious and closeted.

MoskvaRed

If they are in the tourist industry they'd probably speak English. Where we are and within a 200km radius there are few large towns, it's mainly an area of natural beauty, hundreds of medieval villages, lakes, hills and so on. Most people would have Spanish as a second language or occitane, the local patois dialect as we're closer to Spain. On the eastern side ,the Alps, where my wife originates, the second language would be more likely to be Italian. Those actually directly involved in the tourist industry would speak English. My wife spent 32 years in England which is why she is fluent.

I doubt very many French people speak Greek. Question is would they start shouting at the Greeks in French to try to make them understand.
The shouting at locals is a fair point…. anyway, it sounds like a nice spot where you live. Is it the Pyrenees?

MoskvaRed

Yes it’s reasonable. And also really damn easy. Learning bits and pieces of other languages is an awesome part of travel.

Super basic phrases like ‘Beer’, ‘Toilet’, ‘Right/Left’, ‘Bill’, ‘Please and thank you’ are learnable on the plane.

And yes, French people do learn Greek when in Greece.

It’s a gift and a curse to be English speaking. Far easier to get by, almost everywhere. But it makes us all quite precious and closeted.
With respect, I think that’s bollocks. French people are only marginally less useless at speaking foreign languages than Brits and would be just as bad were it not for the fact that English is now the global language. They might know “kalimera” but I doubt they can ask for directions and understand the reply (as per the seemingly troll tweet that started this discussion).

UnrelatedPsuedo

With respect, I think that’s bollocks. French people are only marginally less useless at speaking foreign languages than Brits and would be just as bad were it not for the fact that English is now the global language. They might know “kalimera” but I doubt they can ask for directions and understand the reply (as per the seemingly troll tweet that started this discussion).
I’ve literally said ‘bits and pieces’ and then actually quoted some absolute basics. And also pointed out speaking English makes us all lazy.

Clouds exist, go shout at one.

MoskvaRed

I’ve literally said ‘bits and pieces’ and then actually quoted some absolute basics. And also pointed out speaking English makes us all lazy.

Clouds exist, go shout at one.
Thank you for the cloud reference (nuage?)….The original tweet was not about asking for “une bière“ but for directions. As for lazy, yes and no. It is hard to practice foreign languages as an English speaker as people, wanting to be helpful and practice their English, tend to respond to you in English even when you speak the local lingo.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

I had a bad experience when I was working as a waiter in Spain and they were expecting us to know french. I knew a bit so I could interact but I could hear them criticize the others openly. In a somewhat touristy spot in a definitely non touristy area

Being a twat is not exclusivity of one nationality. On the generalization nationality game, I don't think that french will come very well on the twatish department

Paul the Wolf

I had a bad experience when I was working as a waiter in Spain and they were expecting us to know french. I knew a bit so I could interact but I could hear them criticize the others openly. In a somewhat touristy spot in a definitely non touristy area

Being a twat is not exclusivity of one nationality. On the generalization nationality game, I don't think that french will come very well on the twatish department
As a generalisation I don't believe the French are very good at other languages and for sure there will be twats of all nationalities. It makes me cringe probably more when there's a British person being obnoxious because someone they are talking to agressively doesn't speak their language because being originally British I want to say, "that person is nothing to do with me!"

I went on a business trip to Greece some years ago (before satnav). I don't speak a word of Greek, hired a car at the airport and drove to the company I was visiting about 150km from Athens. To my horror the roadsigns were only in Greek with the Greek alphabet but somehow managed to find my way to the right area. I went to a petrol station and asked politely whether the man spoke English. He said he did (sigh of relief) and he directed me to where the company was located a few miles away. Had I gone storming in there and said, "Where is this Company?!" I doubt he would have been quite so helpful.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Suella blaming students. Not just stop the boats. It's stop anyone coming.

Drainy

Starmer blasting Sunak for not bringing immigration down was soul destroying to watch. The discussion around immigration is so fecked in this country. Starmer complaining there are too many work visa issued is disgraceful.
Also, international students can no longer bring their families over.
It was a depressing listen this week.