Westminster Politics

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Punishing people for what is essentially a supply side crises. Hunt is a fool.

Punishing people for what is essentially a supply side crises. Hunt is a fool.
BOE should tell him to do one. Interest rates are nothing to do with him. The government set the inflation target, how its achieved is supposed to be feck all to do with them.

Abizzz

BOE should tell him to do one. Interest rates are nothing to do with him. The government set the inflation target, how its achieved is supposed to be feck all to do with them.
That's not how nationalistic populists operate. I doubt they even know...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He’s a sly fecker. He’s trying to put pressure on Bailey to solve this problem with monetary policy. These feckers don’t care about people’s lives.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006

Yeah, I'm not too interested in what he has to say about anything.

Jericholyte2

From his wiki:

As of May 2023, he writes a twice-weekly column for the Daily Mail about British affairs as observed from reading the news at home in Florida.
His favourite topic, ironically enough, is how nobody should ever be working from home!

Dan_F

I get proper beans for less but that’s an aside.

You probably usually pay 3.50-4.50 for that jar.
Nah those jars have been about £6 for a while now. I’d say they were £4.50 pre covid. I’m sure they will stick it down to £7 as a ‘member deal’ or something.

I bet you get more for your money buying actual coffee beans or ground now.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Nah those jars have been about £6 for a while now. I’d say they were £4.50 pre covid. I’m sure they will stick it down to £7 as a ‘member deal’ or something.

I bet you get more for your money buying actual coffee beans or ground now.
I haven’t bought instant in years so probably why my prices are out of date.

There’s a better deal even on ASDA’s overly bitter beans which will pour a better cup than any instant:

https://groceries.asda.com/product/...ial-colombian-fairtrade-coffee-beans/59511768

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
To misquote the great man, From bean to cup the Tories fiuck up.

Dan_F

DanH

I only know because the missus drinks it. I’m with you, ground coffee all the way. Ironically, you can get two bags for £6 from co op, which is perfectly acceptable coffee.
If you or your partner want to up things a little further, I'd say invest a little (under £50) in a coffee grinder and switch to whole bean. I believe burr grinders are the way to go and electric is a lot easier. You can adjust your grind according to the brewing method.
It's less of a step up from going instant to ground, but you'll be able to pick up the tasting notes more clearly, and if you drink it regularly it's a fairly small investment. Whole bean itself shouldn't cost any more than buying it as ground.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
If you or your partner want to up things a little further, I'd say invest a little (under £50) in a coffee grinder and switch to whole bean. I believe burr grinders are the way to go and electric is a lot easier. You can adjust your grind according to the brewing method.
It's less of a step up from going instant to ground, but you'll be able to pick up the tasting notes more clearly, and if you drink it regularly it's a fairly small investment. Whole bean itself shouldn't cost any more than buying it as ground.
It doesn’t at all. I use a ceramic burr and my wife calls me a redneck because instead of manually grinding I use a grinder where the handle rivet broke and put it in my drill.

I mostly coarse grind and aeropress these days, but I also have a vacuum/syphon which produces the smoothest cup

Maybe there should be a coffee snob thread

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I didn't want to start a new thread or whatever, but I tell you what shocked me today.

Somebody I work with today was asked if they could do an extra days work this week and was told he can't because between him and his mrs, they're not allowed to work over 24hours a week, or they'll lose some of their benefits.

So they have 2 children, so I get that they can't both work (Well they can, but ya know), but why is the bar set so low.... Surely it should be at least 35 hours between a couple, so a full weeks worth of work between them.