Westminster Politics

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He is right and he is wrong.

He's right in that a lot of middle class middle England have followed lockdown rules impeccably, sometimes with huge emotional cost, hence why they have empathy to the issue, and Daily Mail has represented that view by coming out strongly against Cummings.

But from my memory, the immediate reaction to Grenfell was equally vociferous. The Government response was initially very badly co-ordinated, but I don't remember middle class middle England being nonplussed or negligent to the matter. Beforehand, most of the country wasn't even aware of such issues, but certainly not immediacy after the fire.

Last edited:

Fingeredmouse

Bollocks. It’s got nothing to do with political persuasion.
I can’t stand Cummings and despise what he stands for. But that is not the reason why I think this is such an important issue and why people are so angry about it. It’s the fact that people are being treated as mugs that makes them angry. People all over the country have been asked to make drastic sacrifices on a very personal & emotional level by this government. Yet one of the most important figures in government has breached their own rules and now the government is trying to deceive the public again with smoke & mirrors in order to protect his position. It’s dreadful and thankfully this time joe public isn’t falling for it.
That was sarcasm in retort to the other poster. Perhaps I should use that wee roly eyed thing in future.

Wolverine

What's one of the more egregious things about the driving to check vision statement is how ludicrously dangerous it is from a medical perspective
Transient painless visual loss can be in some cases pretty nasty things (e.g. mini stroke - which is not exactly unheard of either in the context of covid). Michael Gove saying he had been told he was fit to return to work and thereby justifying the drive, pretty sure if he had mentioned the vision thing advice may have been a tad different
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaurosis_fugax

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Northumbria Police has confirmed it received a report yesterday that Dominic Cummings was in Wooler, Northumberland, in April. The force is not investigating as there is "insufficient information to pursue this any further".

Downing Street denies it.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
350,000 people are dead

The Western economies are trashed for decades to come

We're all or have been subjected to restrictions on our civil and professional liberties which have previously been unheard of outside world wars.

A man in the UK makes a 500 mile journey to his parents and the MSM and Joe Public go off-the-scale-apeshit.

It's a genuine pity that they and the nobodies on your list can't generate the same degree of anger towards Communist China for creating our current situation.
Bit hyperbolic, no? Decades?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
My instinct when seeing any Daily Mail stance is to go completely the opposite way.

If they are gunning fo Cummings to go, it'll be because some utter ERG cnut is in the wings wanting to influence the government to be even more gung-ho.

People should be wary of what is likely to happen if Cummings left. The immediate void would almost certainly be filled by something far worse than what it currently has.

SteveJ

Scout
People should be wary of what is likely to happen if Cummings left. The immediate void would almost certainly be filled by something far worse than what it currently has.
Is that even possible? I mean, I get the impression that Cummings is the kind of zealot who would actually advocate wiping out the human race and starting afresh. Maybe I'm totally wrong about that impression but, if I'm not, how could things get worse if he was gone?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What's one of the more egregious things about the driving to check vision statement is how ludicrously dangerous it is from a medical perspective
Transient painless visual loss can be in some cases pretty nasty things (e.g. mini stroke - which is not exactly unheard of either in the context of covid). Michael Gove saying he had been told he was fit to return to work and thereby justifying the drive, pretty sure if he had mentioned the vision thing advice may have been a tad different
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaurosis_fugax
It’s as @Mr Pigeon intimated in an earlier post. It’s all bollocks.

No one in his family was sick, had bad eyesight or even caught covid19. They enjoyed a holiday on parents estate for 2 weeks, hot family dinners on same table every night, and went out often (Eg new claim about being in Wooler), only getting caught once at the castle.

More I think about it, they have gathered all evidence where they got caught and built a story which can’t be disproved around that. Hence why story is so disjointed and weird.

Last edited:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Is that even possible? I mean, I get the impression that Cummings is the kind of zealot who would actually advocate wiping out the human race and starting afresh. Maybe I'm totally wrong about that impression but, if I'm not, how could things get worse if he was gone?
I am by no means a fan, and find his drive for utter efficacy and "scientific" expertise incredibly uncomfortable as it totally forgoes any sense of duty or care a government should have to the most vulnerable in society.

However, there are still far-right, old-school Tory nut-jobs waiting in the wings to push through a far more brazen and archaic Brexit I feel. Again, this is a side of the argument I would never choose to align myself, but of those with access to number 10 and directly impacting the UK over the next 4.5 years, I fear the old-school ERG/JRM-mouthpiece mob far more.

SteveJ

Scout
I am by no means a fan, and find his drive for utter efficacy and "scientific" expertise incredibly uncomfortable as it totally forgoes any sense of duty or care a government should have to the most vulnerable in society.

However, there are still far-right, old-school Tory nut-jobs waiting in the wings to push through a far more brazen and archaic Brexit I feel. Again, this is a side of the argument I would never choose to align myself, but of those with access to number 10 and directly impacting the UK over the next 4.5 years, I fear the old-school ERG/JRM-mouthpiece mob far more.
True, but even a brazen and archaic Brexit is still within the realms of politics, even if it's not everyday politics. What I'm worried about is Cummings being some kind of malign techno-eugenicist (in a manner of speaking), with a philosophy which is beyond mere politics.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

No one in his family was sick, had bad eyesight or even caught covid19. They enjoyed a holiday on parents estate for 2 weeks, hot dinners with parents on same table every night, and went out often (Eg new claim about being in Wooler), only getting caught once at the castle.

More I think about it, they have gathered all evidence where they got caught and built a story with can’t be disproved around that. Hence why story is so disjointed and weird.
It's a special gift that these politicians have. Deny and deflect. What's that old phrase?

Found it, the narcissist's prayer.

How many times have we seen this happen in the last ten years? Or the last few decades at least.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Maitlis is a thing of genuine beauty.
The entire segment is 20 mins long (watch via iPlayer) and is brilliant investigative TV journalism).

Last edited:

rotherham_red

I dont know, people seemed pretty outraged about grenfell.
Not outraged enough to vote the cnuts out of office months later, and worse, voted out the one MP in the whole House who consistently stood for the residents...

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Does this thick MP realise her own colleagues have asked for him to resign:

To be fair, we've all seen the real push coming from the well known left wing media outlets like the Daily Mail.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The fact that he went back and edited his year-old blog post to help bolster his story tells me that he's lying and that his story was carefully constructed.

Now what we need is some real journalism and them not letting go of the story...therefore I fully expect this to blow over and he'll be fine.

EwanI Ted

Some incredible numbers there. I was on a construction site yesterday and Cummings was very much on everyone's lips. People weren't angrily talking about politics they were just making jokes at his expense, but it did highlight just how much cut through this has had. This isn't just a story for politics watchers any more its something everyone is talking about.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
He's in for a ride here because journos don't have anything else to do really. I'm sure they are all bored shitless of doing PPE stories so a juicy one like this with lots of investigating possibilities is like manna from heaven. It's not like a Kardashian is doing anything that will knock him off the front pages...nobody is doing anything that will create a big enough media scramble like this to divert interest.

He's going to get caught in a lie very soon and it will start up again.

arnie_ni

No one in his family was sick, had bad eyesight or even caught covid19. They enjoyed a holiday on parents estate for 2 weeks, hot family dinners on same table every night, and went out often (Eg new claim about being in Wooler), only getting caught once at the castle.

More I think about it, they have gathered all evidence where they got caught and built a story which can’t be disproved around that. Hence why story is so disjointed and weird.
On the nobody getting sick part, he did definitely sprint out of no.10 that Friday afternoon, the papers caught it.

Do you think that was part of an elaborate plan?

Do you think bojo knew about the elaborate plan?

I genuinely believe his wife was sick and he subsequently got sick, but so did thousands of others and they stayed put.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The fact that he went back and edited his year-old blog post to help bolster his story tells me that he's lying and that his story was carefully constructed.

Now what we need is some real journalism and them not letting go of the story...therefore I fully expect this to blow over and he'll be fine.
I don’t think there’s a point where he’ll go. If there was a tipping point then surely we’ve passed it already.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some incredible numbers there. I was on a construction site yesterday and Cummings was very much on everyone's lips. People weren't angrily talking about politics they were just making jokes at his expense, but it did highlight just how much cut through this has had. This isn't just a story for politics watchers any more its something everyone is talking about.
Although he's a cnut.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
More than anything I think this whole episode is indicative of just how arrogant, unapologetic and downright dim these people are. If this doesn’t bring them down, I can say with absolute confidence that it will not be long until something else does.

They’ve used all their good will up on something completely ridiculous and avoidable. Whatever mistake they make next there is going to be journalists on both sides of the aisle baying for blood.

Oldyella

Thread that basically shows all the stories hypocrisy for what it is.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There's a comment in that thread that makes me worry because with this lot you know they'll do it. If he does get the sack Cummings will just continue to work for Boris, but it'll be with even less transparency and money under the table with inflated "consultant fees".

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Boris must be worried.
He has postponed his grilling scheduled for this pm so he can - wait for it...deliver Brexit.

Don't you just love his contempt.

FireballXL5

He might, and the next day a Scottish consultant called Dominic Cuming will be flown in with a wig and fake moustache.
It's like you said earlier, they might publicly 'sack' him, but he'll still be there in the shadows. I'd love to know the dirt they all have on each other.

SteveJ

Scout
He might, and the next day a Scottish consultant called Dominic Cuming will be flown in with a wig and fake moustache.
I can't believe you'd work for that lot, chief.
*tuts*