Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Isn't the ECHR made up of one judge from each country including one from the UK?
As well as the UK being a founder member and played a big part in its establishment.
But it doesn't suit the government policies anymore apparently.
They just don't like being told that they are wrong.
Especially by anything that starts with an E.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This is a conspiracy theory on my part but I genuinely think she is only a minister due to the government wanting to execute this policy.
The Conservative party uses the despicable Priti Patel to do their dirty work. If this was a white minister he/she would be accused of racism.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
This is a conspiracy theory on my part but I genuinely think she is only a minister due to the government wanting to execute this policy.
The Conservative party uses the despicable Priti Patel to do their dirty work. If this was a white minister he/she would be accused of racism.
Yes of course, this is widely known. She's doing the dirty work but doesn't mind as she's being paid £££.

A proper, evil, tyrannical sell-out

Sweet Square

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
The thing is, that conspiracy theory does imply some joined up thinking and competence at the highest levels of Government, which I am convinced is not there.

They don't know what they are doing, they have no plan to help the millions of people who need it in this country, they just lurch from one culture war headline to the other propped up by their supporters in the media with cries that a vote for anyone other than the Tories is a vote for some kind of communist dictatorship.

And the thing is (which has been mentioned by many already), if Labour do not offer a compelling alternative (and that doesn't just mean a list of policies which can be stolen by the Government, but a vision of Britain and how to make people's lives better), then people will stick to the devil they know.

We need urgent action on global heating.

We need to take advantage of the record low borrowing rates to borrow huge amounts of money to invest in housing and infrastructure to deal with the housing crisis and low productivity.

Automation will mean millions of people currently employed will no longer have a job in 30 years.

Likewise children at school today will be working in jobs that don't even exist yet.

Where is the vision for that massive technological change and how to harness it to make people richer?

We are a grossly unequal society. If the wealth of this nation were equally divided (wealth, not income) then every person would have around £280,000 to their name. It is no coincidence that the high tax governments (Tory and Labour) of the 40s, 50s and 60s kept inequality lower than it is today.

There was also a time when those in charge of the Tories were proud of their roles in governing the country (as paternalistic as they were) and did aim to pass laws to improve everyone's lives. Now we can critique Macmillan and Eden and Heath for hours and hours but compared to the charlatans in power at the moment they look like political titans.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The barefaced cheek of this government saying that the rail strikes will cause disruption for people finally getting their appointments through the NHS, and doing so without taking a hint of responsibility for being the reason why the NHS was already on its knees before Covid-19 really boils one's piss.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The thing is, that conspiracy theory does imply some joined up thinking and competence at the highest levels of Government, which I am convinced is not there.

They don't know what they are doing, they have no plan to help the millions of people who need it in this country, they just lurch from one culture war headline to the other propped up by their supporters in the media with cries that a vote for anyone other than the Tories is a vote for some kind of communist dictatorship.

And the thing is (which has been mentioned by many already), if Labour do not offer a compelling alternative (and that doesn't just mean a list of policies which can be stolen by the Government, but a vision of Britain and how to make people's lives better), then people will stick to the devil they know.

We need urgent action on global heating.

We need to take advantage of the record low borrowing rates to borrow huge amounts of money to invest in housing and infrastructure to deal with the housing crisis and low productivity.

Automation will mean millions of people currently employed will no longer have a job in 30 years.

Likewise children at school today will be working in jobs that don't even exist yet.

Where is the vision for that massive technological change and how to harness it to make people richer?

We are a grossly unequal society. If the wealth of this nation were equally divided (wealth, not income) then every person would have around £280,000 to their name. It is no coincidence that the high tax governments (Tory and Labour) of the 40s, 50s and 60s kept inequality lower than it is today.

There was also a time when those in charge of the Tories were proud of their roles in governing the country (as paternalistic as they were) and did aim to pass laws to improve everyone's lives. Now we can critique Macmillan and Eden and Heath for hours and hours but compared to the charlatans in power at the moment they look like political titans.
Those record low yields are not there any more. The yield on 10-year gilts is now 2.5%, up from sub-0.5% for most of 2020 into early 2021. Yields are going to keep rising as the Bank of England raises interest rates to try and tackle inflation too. Add in the UK's poor economic growth outlook and already high debt pile -over 100% of GDP- and I'd be wary about another debt splurge.

finneh

Those record low yields are not there any more. The yield on 10-year gilts is now 2.5%, up from sub-0.5% for most of 2020 into early 2021. Yields are going to keep rising as the Bank of England raises interest rates to try and tackle inflation too. Add in the UK's poor economic growth outlook and already high debt pile -over 100% of GDP- and I'd be wary about another debt splurge.
Also tax is similar to the highest levels we've seen over the last 70 years so there's an argument that any higher taxation at this point is going to realise less tax take.

With the clamour for greater spend on health, social care, education, defence, policing, justice system, infrastructure, welfare, housing and pay rises for public sector workers; whilst already running a huge deficit with interest rates on our massive debt pile increasing as you state I'm not really sure where we go from here.

FireballXL5

It's great what you can get away with when the press and establishment are protecting you.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Also tax is similar to the highest levels we've seen over the last 70 years so there's an argument that any higher taxation at this point is going to realise less tax take.

With the clamour for greater spend on health, social care, education, defence, policing, justice system, infrastructure, welfare, housing and pay rises for public sector workers; whilst already running a huge deficit with interest rates on our massive debt pile increasing as you state I'm not really sure where we go from here.
Wealth tax and also a rebalance towards higher taxation rates on higher incomes (e.g. through capital gains and corporation tax increases but with lower NI / higher tax free allowance). Basically anything the Tories wouldn't ever do.

Inflation will also take care of a fair bit of our debt at this point. While they keep saying it will come down by the end of the year they also keep predicting that the peak figure will increase so I'm not sure I buy that they either know what they're talking about or want people to know the extent of the problem.

cyberman

It’s clear as day that they simply want your savings. The Tories dream is to have the non elite live pay cheque to pay cheque by handing all their money to them. Hike up bills, hike up cost of living since all money not being used to live is laying idle in a bank.

finneh

Wealth tax and also a rebalance towards higher taxation rates on higher incomes (e.g. through capital gains and corporation tax increases but with lower NI / higher tax free allowance). Basically anything the Tories wouldn't ever do.

Inflation will also take care of a fair bit of our debt at this point. While they keep saying it will come down by the end of the year they also keep predicting that the peak figure will increase so I'm not sure I buy that they either know what they're talking about or want people to know the extent of the problem.
As I understand it the wealthiest are paying a greater share of taxation than for many decades. I believe whilst the richest 1% earn 12.5% of wealth they pay 29.1% of income tax and likewise the next richest 9% earn 21.4% of wealth but pay 31.4% of tax (total 33.9% of income paying 60.5% of income tax).

I would imagine if you were looking to increase taxation the only way you'd physically increase tax receipts (rather than kill investment and drive away the wealthy who pay the bulk of tax) would be to target the 50 - 90th percentile who earn 40.9% but pay only 30.1% of tax. These people tend not to make huge investment decisions or have the flexibility to move abroad for tax purposes.

The problem with this approach is that firstly these are the key voting demographic of both Labour and the Tories (hence them being both relatively wealthy but also still subsidised). The top 10% are too small a voting block to win an election and the bottom 50% tend to vote in much lower numbers. Secondly during a cost of living crises attempting to pile tax pressure on to a family that are by no means very rich, isn't going to go down well. These are people who are relatively well off but are still being subsidised by the wealthiest whilst simultaneously believing they're subsidising the poorest 50%.

Truthfully the top 10% should be subsidising the bottom 50% and not the 50th - 90th percentile.

In terms of inflation eating into debt... It eats into day to day spending more perniciously. I read today that this year we'll pay more to service our debt than we will for education.

/Edit it's also worth noting that the bottom 50% of earners (earning 25.5% of income) pay 9.4% of income tax.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

As I understand it the wealthiest are paying a greater share of taxation than for many decades. I believe whilst the richest 1% earn 12.5% of wealth they pay 29.1% of income tax and likewise the next richest 9% earn 21.4% of wealth but pay 31.4% of tax (total 33.9% of income paying 60.5% of income tax).

I would imagine if you were looking to increase taxation the only way you'd physically increase tax receipts (rather than kill investment and drive away the wealthy who pay the bulk of tax) would be to target the 50 - 90th percentile who earn 40.9% but pay only 30.1% of tax. These people tend not to make huge investment decisions or have the flexibility to move abroad for tax purposes.

The problem with this approach is that firstly these are the key voting demographic of both Labour and the Tories (hence them being both relatively wealthy but also still subsidised). The top 10% are too small a voting block to win an election and the bottom 50% tend to vote in much lower numbers. Secondly during a cost of living crises attempting to pile tax pressure on to a family that are by no means very rich, isn't going to go down well. These are people who are relatively well off but are still being subsidised by the wealthiest whilst simultaneously believing they're subsidising the poorest 50%.

Truthfully the top 10% should be subsidising the bottom 50% and not the 50th - 90th percentile.

In terms of inflation eating into debt... It eats into day to day spending more perniciously. I read today that this year we'll pay more to service our debt than we will for education.

/Edit it's also worth noting that the bottom 50% of earners (earning 25.5% of income) pay 9.4% of income tax.
Interesting stats but looking at just income tax alone does not give an accurate picture IMO. VAT for example is a massive source of revenue and is dependent on spending. Most likely poorer households are spending a much larger percentage of their earnings on VAT than a richer one.

And the fact is that inequality is still increasing in this country - whenever the economy as a whole suffers the very richest rarely do whilst the poor almost invariably do. The Bank of England's QE from post-2008 mostly ended up in the hands of the mega wealthy. I think the Bank estimated that 80% of it ended up with the richest 10% or something. These people have had decades of favourable conditions and if the country is in a mess then they will have to raid their piggy banks.

finneh

Interesting stats but looking at just income tax alone does not give an accurate picture IMO. VAT for example is a massive source of revenue and is dependent on spending. Most likely poorer households are spending a much larger percentage of their earnings on VAT than a richer one.

And the fact is that inequality is still increasing in this country - whenever the economy as a whole suffers the very richest rarely do whilst the poor almost invariably do. The Bank of England's QE from post-2008 mostly ended up in the hands of the mega wealthy. I think the Bank estimated that 80% of it ended up with the richest 10% or something. These people have had decades of favourable conditions and if the country is in a mess then they will have to raid their piggy banks.
You're correct but over the last 20 years not much has changed composition wise. Income taxes are burdened to a greater extent the top 10% (from around 50% in 1999 to over 60% now), and to a lesser extent on the bottom 50% (from 11.6% to 9.4%). Corporation tax is slightly down but tax paid on other business costs has gone up (insurance tax, business rates etc).

Previous perks enjoyed by the top 1% under labour - for example tax relief on pension contributions, having a tax free personal allowance and also the additional tax rate - have been abolished to reduce the tax burden on the lowest paid. Property taxes as a % of GDP are also now the highest in the OECD. Stamp Duty is now significantly higher on properties above the national average (I know someone whose about to pay a £120k Stamp Duty bill for example).

Talking about taxes in general - 80% are now paid by the top 50% of earners which is again higher than its historically been.

In terms of QE I agree with you that it's the most insidious form of taxation there is and it's pretty much every major central banks go to policy for almost every crises. They've proven time and time again to be inadequate custodians of something incredibly precious and their power over it needs to be severely limited.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We all know that she is a nasty vindictive bully who will do anything and everything to get her own way.
This has absolutely nothing to do with what is best for the migrants or even the UK.
It has everything to do with Priti Patel trying to prove that her borrowed policy will work when even a halfwit already knows that it will be an unmitigated disaster.
All about ideology.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You have to be odious and morally decadent to marry Boris Johnson. Carrie Johnson is odious and morally decadent.

TwoSheds

You have to be odious and morally decadent to marry Boris Johnson. Carrie Johnson is odious and morally decadent.
Any context to this or just a random outburst? Has she done something in particular lately?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I appreciate the reply and the correction.

Any thoughts about how to improve productivity and deal with the massive public service problems we have without borrowing? I am not keen to increase the tax burden given its levels, and especially the impact on the less well off, but equally I cannot stop thinking about how much of that money is being wasted, given it seems like this country is coming apart at the seams despite the Government taxing more and more and more.

Richard Murphy has spoken about changing pensions and savings for investment:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The damage Dacre and Murdoch have done to this country is immeasurable. You need tk have the IQ of a fish to believe Johnson was not involved.

Jippy

Staff
I appreciate the reply and the correction.

Any thoughts about how to improve productivity and deal with the massive public service problems we have without borrowing? I am not keen to increase the tax burden given its levels, and especially the impact on the less well off, but equally I cannot stop thinking about how much of that money is being wasted, given it seems like this country is coming apart at the seams despite the Government taxing more and more and more.

Richard Murphy has spoken about changing pensions and savings for investment:

Improving productivity in the UK is the holy grail- not sure anyone really understands why it's so bad compared to other parts of Europe, and it's so broad-based too - it's not just confined to a handful of sectors.

There could be something in trying to unlock more long-term pension money for infrastructure investment or social housing. Long-term funds from the big asset managers, eg L&G and Fidelity, will invest in infrastructure and the bonds underpinning long-term projects. A quick google shows there is a consultation underway to see if local government pension schemes can be freed up to invest in more of this stuff, particularly supporting the drive to net-zero. Some of these schemes are massive as well and have liabilities going out generations, so are kind of suited to it.

But it's risky though and needs to deliver a return if it's helping to fund people's retirement too. if you think about projects like CrossRail and their inability to stick to budgets, then you have to question how many people will want to take the risk of investing in this stuff with their pension pot.

Superden

Our glorious free press, envy of the world. Nobody tells them what they can or can't say.
I know its been said many times before, but all 5 of Starmers questions on PMQs should be about this. The affair, being caught in a govt office, the job offer and the attempted cover up. When questioned about his private life and its consequences for his work, he normally (as is the way with entitled twats) blows a fuse. Starmer needs to get on it. None of the scandals will derail Boris as such, what will though imho, is sooner or later hes gonna throw a petulant tantrum in public. and then well have a emperors new cloths moment.

Drainy

Improving productivity in the UK is the holy grail- not sure anyone really understands why it's so bad compared to other parts of Europe, and it's so broad-based too - it's not just confined to a handful of sectors
Management jobs being given to the person with the poshest accent and upper management leaving them to wreak havoc because people think they sound like they know what they are doing and the only skill in life that they have is the ability to constantly get away with it?

Jippy

Staff
Management jobs being given to the person with the poshest accent and upper management leaving them to wreak havoc because people think they sound like they know what they are doing and the only skill in life that they have is the ability to constantly get away with it?
Yeah because that's exactly what happens on a production line in Hull. It's a whole concatenation of factors that economists have been grappling with and failing to tackle for decades.