"We've caught up 8-9 points before"

cyberman

Let's be realistic and not get carried away, we are very unlikely to catch spurs, nomattter what the result is at Wembley, the target is to finish above Chelsea and Arsenal. Let's not get too carried away.
Beat Spurs and we'll probably be 6 points behind Chelsea with the mighty Spurs an entire point above them.
Why's that getting carried away?

stepic

Am i missing something? Arent we after Chelsea? From what i understand beating Spurs just keeps our top 4 hopes realistic where losing could end it but it doesn't actually put us in a stronger position than we currently are. Now if we were to beat Chelsea then the gap will be down to 3 points
Of course it puts in a stronger position - it’s 3 more points. We need all the points we can get.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
That Spurs game is a scary monster, win it or even possibly draw it and I’d believe it’s on, top 4 qualification, but I fear they might expose some of the naivety we’ve shown in our play of late. Hopefully some Ole magic happens and we do a “lads it’s spurs” then the hunt is on and honestly think Ole pulling off 4th from the brink would be more impressive than Jose’s Europa.
This is the mindset that needs to change for us to actually be the team were purporting to be under Ole. United of old didnt care who they were playing, they went into each game with the mindset we are going to win it (see Ferdinands comments on David Moyes). What we need to do is walk into that Spurs game with the (its spurs) mindset and we will win. Our defence isnt as strong as it once was, but our attack is quickly becoming one of the best in the league and we're not even at full stride yet. We've literally added a third of our Goal tally for the season in the last 4 games.

Gasolin

Beat Spurs and we'll probably be 6 points behind Chelsea with the mighty Spurs an entire point above them.
Why's that getting carried away?
Completely, beating Spurs changes the deal for United in a massive way. I don't get what 1 pt difference makes between Chelsea and Spurs... whatever, we just need to win everything now.

Greck

The difference between Spurs and Chelsea is we would have played Spurs twice and still be 7 points behind. With Chelsea we still have a game against them at OT where we can give them an L and make it a 3 point deficit. Against Chelsea our fate is still in our hands.

ChaddyP

its not impossible to catch spurs. Injuries and a bit of luck can change everything

cyberman

The difference between Spurs and Chelsea is we would have played Spurs twice and still be 7 points behind. With Chelsea we still have a game against them at OT where we can give them an L and make it a 3 point deficit. With Chelsea our fate is still in our hands
That's 3 points from January to May.
There's this strange mindset that's rife pretending we are already in the run in.
Liverpool had the title won before Christmas because Leicester beat City and we can't catch Spurs because we would have played them twice.
Were only midway through the campaign!

Andersons Dietician

Am i missing something? Arent we after Chelsea? From what i understand beating Spurs just keeps our top 4 hopes realistic where losing could end it but it doesn't actually put us in a stronger position than we currently are. Now if we were to beat Chelsea then the gap will be down to 3 points
Yeah we are after Chelsea but like others have said Arsenal and Chelsea play each other like a week later and I think one plays City over that period as well so really if we stand any chance we need to make sure we don’t lose against Spurs. That’s what I was meaning, not that we can catch Spurs.

Chelsea is the current goal and to do that I think a result against Spurs is needed.

Greck

That's 3 points from January to May.
There's this strange mindset that's rife pretending we are already in the run in.
Liverpool had the title won before Christmas because Leicester beat City and we can't catch Spurs because we would have played them twice.
Were only midway through the campaign!
I said the 3 point deficit against Chelsea is the realistic target

cyberman

yes. I said the 3 point deficit is the realistic target
But its short sighted.
Their small squad plays Burnley, Chelsea and Arsenal in between their games v Dortmund in February.
You're putting too much stock on one game. Its a stupidly narrow way of thinking when we're in the first week of January.
Beat Spurs and we have every top side bar Arsenal to play at home.
Does that not play into your realism?

Greck

But its short sighted.
Their small squad plays Burnley, Chelsea and Arsenal in between their games v Dortmund in February.
You're putting too much stock on one game. Its a stupidly narrow way of thinking when we're in the first week of January.
Critical thinking isn't your strong point eh? No worries. We can catch up to both Chelsea and Spurs. What is being said is Chelsea is the target we are more likely to catch up with, all things considered. No one has ruled out the other possibilities.

cyberman

Critical thinking isn't your strong point eh? No worries. We can catch up to both Chelsea and Spurs. What is being said is Chelsea is the target we are more likely to catch up with, all things considered. No one has ruled out the other possibilities.
One point more likely. Yes.
What a target to aim for. But you did claim we had no chance of top 4 on Nov 25 so you're not the best bet at calculating probability to be fair.
See how things change in 5 weeks never mind 5 months?

Greck

One point more likely. Yes.
What a target to aim for. But you did claim we had no chance of top 4 on Nov 25 so you're not the best bet at calculating probability to be fair.
See how things change in 5 weeks never mind 5 months?
Nov 25, when Mourinho was still in charge? Yeah we had no chance of top 4. Even now we're still calculating a very long shot because we have to go on a near perfect run. Each loss or draw could easily drop us back to 6-9 points out of top 4. If we're talking raw probabilities there's a raw probability we can still win the league. On top 4 my hope against Chelsea (as opposed to spurs) comes mainly from still having to play them at OT and their GD. The 6 point fixture against them is huge

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But its short sighted.
I’ll take that as game on for winning the league!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Still half the season to go and the way we are playing there is not much difference between United, Chelsea and the Goonners.

With six teams at the top there are lots of possibilities for movement.

After the dark days I will be delighted with top 4 and if that happens we can all breathe a big sigh of relief.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I read lots of rumours that UEFA will ban City from CL next season so 5th place would be enough for CL. It would be fantastic news if it is true

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I read the other day Man. United are on the same number of points after 21 games as the treble winners were in 98/99?

Good omen if true! Also maybe shows the huge gulf that now exists in premier league as obviously that season Man. United weren't miles behind the leaders.

Eli Zee

The difference between Spurs and Chelsea is we would have played Spurs twice and still be 7 points behind. With Chelsea we still have a game against them at OT where we can give them an L and make it a 3 point deficit. Against Chelsea our fate is still in our hands.

Yeah but if we beat both we have better odds. What if chelsea end up ahead of spurs in the table? You never know what can happen plus getting 3 points anywhere is always important.

I see what you’re saying though. If we’re going to get 4th , beating chelsea is our best bet

Eric's Seagull

He behaved like a self-serving, attention-seeking twat throughout his entire time here. That it’s taken so long for this to be recognised is staggering.
Agree with this. I never liked his attitude here. Think some people were mesmerised by the amount of trophies he won (in the past) , that they were prepared to put up with as much sh!'te that came out of his mouth and were happy for him to do what he liked as they had so much faith he was going to win us a big trophy.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This is the mindset that needs to change for us to actually be the team were purporting to be under Ole. United of old didnt care who they were playing, they went into each game with the mindset we are going to win it (see Ferdinands comments on David Moyes). What we need to do is walk into that Spurs game with the (its spurs) mindset and we will win. Our defence isnt as strong as it once was, but our attack is quickly becoming one of the best in the league and we're not even at full stride yet. We've literally added a third of our Goal tally for the season in the last 4 games.
100% spot on. Spurs are a good team but our mindset needs to be spot on.

Josh 76

It's a shame we are not playing Chelsea next weekend. A victory would close the gap to 3 points, with half the season to go. That would make it interesting.

wolvored

I read the other day Man. United are on the same number of points after 21 games as the treble winners were in 98/99?

Good omen if true! Also maybe shows the huge gulf that now exists in premier league as obviously that season Man. United weren't miles behind the leaders.
Think we were 1st or 2nd though and only Arsenal as a threat. big difference to this season.

Winrar

Yes, but not too relevant as we won the league that season with only 79 points. I doubt Pool, City, and Spurs would finish below that this season.

Shez

That Spurs game is a scary monster, win it or even possibly draw it and I’d believe it’s on, top 4 qualification, but I fear they might expose some of the naivety we’ve shown in our play of late. Hopefully some Ole magic happens and we do a “lads it’s spurs” then the hunt is on and honestly think Ole pulling off 4th from the brink would be more impressive than Jose’s Europa.
Lads its spurs...

The_Podgy_Poet

Supports
Hartlepool United
Aww bless, hope really does spring eternal.

It's also the hope that will kill you. I see the delusional state of some of you is still alive and well.

Andersons Dietician

Arsenal losing today and Hopefully Newcastle can do Something against Chelsea because score a few tomorrow and win we could go 5th with Chelsea in our sights. Especially good when those 2 have to play each other soon.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Arsenal losing today and Hopefully Newcastle can do Something against Chelsea because score a few tomorrow and win we could go 5th with Chelsea in our sights. Especially good when those 2 have to play each other soon.
Next weekend, isn't it? It will sadly take a miracle for Newcastle to get even a goal at the Bridge.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Best hope was a 0-0 at the Bridge but that's now gone out of the window

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Unfortunately it's more likely we'll still be 9 points behind Chelsea tomorrow. I wouldn't fancy Arsenal to get anything against them either.

Patrick08

Unfortunately it's more likely we'll still be 9 points behind Chelsea tomorrow. I wouldn't fancy Arsenal to get anything against them either.
We beat spurs tomorrow ,we will have Tottenham in sight not just Chelsea. Have to treat tommorow's game as cup final.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Someone remind of the rules about when a country can have a 5th placed team qualify for the European cup?
Is that if one of the top 4 won the cup?

Nightmare prospect that it is!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Someone remind of the rules about when a country can have a 5th placed team qualify for the European cup?
Is that if one of the top 4 won the cup?

Nightmare prospect that it is!
If you don't finish top 4 you need to win the CL yourself to qualify.